Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shouldn't be this easy.

Who's to blame? Weak competition? **** courts?
Are these guys just too good?

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
All time greats, yes, but all time greats aren't usually this good at getting career slams.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Agassi's is the most impressive by far..
Have to agree with this.

Apparently the ATP/ITF's intention is to downgrade the career slam-achievements of the past legends of the game to have it happening multiple times in a row during this era, thanks to the '**** courts'. :worship:
I mean who cares about those forgotten has-beens anyways?

(this is sarcasm)

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
All time greats, yes, but all time greats aren't usually this good at getting career slams.
Yep, but I think of it more as them being ATG's (by the end of their careers) than to blame the surfaces so much. Maybe the last time it could have happened potentially in such close proximity would have been the mid - late 80's.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
several factors are to be blamed

1- weak overall competition
2- continued homogenization of the courts
3- continued homogenization of the playing style (as a consequence of point 2)
4- luaghable dope testing methods
5- ATP's and ITF's ongoing draw-rigging to favour the top players
6- ATP's system of byes and best of 3 sets finals in masters in order to preserve the physical shape of the top players and give them a clear advantage over the other players

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
All time greats.

This won't happen again for 30 years at least.
Agreed with all time greats, disagreed with that it won't happen for the next 30 years. The game has changed. It's all about consistency and defense now. It's much more difficult for a low ranked player to have a really great day and upset a top ranked player these days. And with surface homogenization/racket technology changes, it's that much easier for a player to transition from clay to grass to hardcourt. I think we'll see this happen several more times in the next decade.

·
29,637 Posts
Djokovic isn't an all-time great till he wins at least 2 more slams.

And yes it will happen more often. Although this is is a very uncompetitive era, you have to realise how slow the courts have become. Australian Open's medium paced HC is probably the fastest slam now with RG, yes RG, next. Federer's 04-07 era had FAR faster courts than we have even now.

Anyone with a world class defence has a chance in the near future.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
You forgot Murray finishing his CYGS at the USO '13

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,438 Posts
Don't forget, Andy will get the calendar slam in 2013. I can see it now. The top 4 all with the grand slam, except for Djokovic. He won't do it next year.

EDIT: GSMnadal got there before me.

·
Federer fan forever
12,903 Posts
Don't forget, Andy will get the calendar slam in 2013. I can see it now. The top 4 all with the grand slam, except for Djokovic. He won't do it next year.

EDIT: GSMnadal got there before me.
I dont think you are being realistic here ;)

3,728 Posts
weak era (starting in 2008)
slow courts (suppport baboon baseline tennis)
terrible umpiring (gutless cowards not making the cheaters pay)

all of the above

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Actually, it seems Federer was BY FAR the least efficient in completing the Career Slam, which only emphasizes that in HIS case, it was just an incredible spell of luck.

Perry: Completed 4 different slams after 5 titles won
Budge: Completed 4 different slams after 4 titles won
Laver: Completed 4 different slams after 6 titles won
Emerson: Completed 4 different slams after 6 titles won
Agassi: Completed 4 different slams ater 4 titles won
Federer: Completed 4 different slams after FOURTEEN titles won
Nadal: Completed 4 different slams after 9 titles won

Djokovic is expected to do it after winning 5 or 6 titles

Also, Perry and Budge did it within 3 years (1935-1938), Laver and Emerson within 2 (1962-1964), so if you take Federer's completion as a fluke, then Nadal and Djokovic-to-be are probably within statistical parameters.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Djokovic "deserves" career grand slam more than Nadal. His draws for AO 2009 and USO 2010 were pathetic.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Actually, it seems Federer was BY FAR the least efficient in completing the Career Slam, which only emphasizes that in HIS case, it was just an incredible spell of luck.

Perry: Completed 4 different slams after 5 titles won
Budge: Completed 4 different slams after 4 titles won
Laver: Completed 4 different slams after 6 titles won
Emerson: Completed 4 different slams after 6 titles won
Agassi: Completed 4 different slams ater 4 titles won
Federer: Completed 4 different slams after FOURTEEN titles won
Nadal: Completed 4 different slams after 9 titles won

Djokovic is expected to do it after winning 5 or 6 titles

Also, Perry and Budge did it within 3 years (1935-1938), Laver and Emerson within 2 (1962-1964), so if you take Federer's completion as a fluke, then Nadal and Djokovic-to-be are probably within statistical parameters.
Federer has atleast 5 finals in every slam. Cant see how he is the lucky one.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.