Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
apparently there has been a definitive confirmation by the FFT that one of the players who reached the round of 16 this year has tested positive on both their samples, and that a tribunal is investigating - is this the same case as the mystery Argentine, or a new one? As far as i know there is not even a confirmation on the sex of this player, let alone nationality.

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts
Reached the Round of 16... as in that's the farthest they went? Because if it was someone who got to the quarterfinals they'd have said "someone who got to the quarterfinals."

So who lost in the Round of 16? Any possibilites?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
savestheday91 said:
Reached the Round of 16... as in that's the farthest they went? Because if it was someone who got to the quarterfinals they'd have said "someone who got to the quarterfinals."
?

Not necessarily. It was someone who REACHED the round of 16, it doesn't mean they lost there.

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts
vogus said:
Not necessarily. It was someone who REACHED the round of 16, it doesn't mean they lost there.

But no source is going to call it that if there is a more specific term for them. I mean, if they were a quarterfinalist, they're going to say "Someone who reached the quarterfinals tested positive." It doesn't make sense to say Round of 16 unless that was the farthest they got. They might as well just say, "Someone who played in RG this year tested positive" if they're going to make it more vague than it really is.

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts
<Lt*Alonso*Cl> said:
lost in R16
Aca
Nal
Gau
Cor

And if those 4 all lost in the Round of 16, I think there's a pretty good chance that's what they meant, since Canas was already discovered. If it really is an Argentine.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
savestheday91 said:
But no source is going to call it that if there is a more specific term for them. I mean, if they were a quarterfinalist, they're going to say "Someone who reached the quarterfinals tested positive." It doesn't make sense to say Round of 16 unless that was the farthest they got. They might as well just say, "Someone who played in RG this year tested positive" if they're going to make it more vague than it really is.

well, if you're right, then chances are pretty good it was an Argentine, since 4 of them lost in R16 (unless the positive is from WTA). So maybe it's just the same case we have already heard rumors about.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am an Argentine Tennis Fan - it really makes me mad that as soon as there is a doping scandal it is automatically an Argentine. OK I KNOW that Chela, Coria, Puerta and now Canas have all been punished... but people seem to over look Korda, Ulirich, Koubeck and Oliver in their constant accusations.... I also agree with the fact Agassi seems to be very picky with his tournament choices and also find it extremely suspicious that one month he is a complete cripple, quote him "walking like an old man in the street" to next month US OPEN Finalist.... - but as I said in another post, people like him will NEVER be punished, as after all this would be bad for Tennis.

The point of my post is for people to realise that there have been other doping cases.... not all doping cases are Argentine Players.

It just seems to be that the Argentine Players are easy scapegoats. How would people react if the guilty party in question is NOT an Argentine, maybe a Spaniard, a Russian, a Croat or even a Swiss.. would there be an MTF thread entitled - Apologies to the Argentine Players???? I doubt it.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
basil333 said:
I am an Argentine Tennis Fan - it really makes me mad that as soon as there is a doping scandal it is automatically an Argentine. OK I KNOW that Chela, Coria, Puerta and now Canas have all been punished... but people seem to over look Korda, Ulirich, Koubeck and Oliver in their constant accusations.... I also agree with the fact Agassi seems to be very picky with his tournament choices and also find it extremely suspicious that one month he is a complete cripple, quote him "walking like an old man in the street" to next month US OPEN Finalist.... - but as I said in another post, people like him will NEVER be punished, as after all this would be bad for Tennis.

The point of my post is for people to realise that there have been other doping cases.... not all doping cases are Argentine Players.

It just seems to be that the Argentine Players are easy scapegoats. How would people react if the guilty party in question is NOT an Argentine, maybe a Spaniard, a Russian, a Croat or even a Swiss.. would there be an MTF thread entitled - Apologies to the Argentine Players???? I doubt it.
Bogomolov, the most recent asthma victim, will not get any of the flack that Puerta does. Lucky him.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
basil333 said:

Didn't you know only Argentine players are using drugs, so we are led to believe of course.

·
Registered
698 Posts
basil333 said:

Wait a minute mate, you are very funny, you are calling people for assuming it's an Argentine, and your not happy with this BUT YOU THEN GO ON ABOUT AGASSI!!!!!!!! ASSUMING HE HAS TAKEN DRUGS PLEASE TELL ME WHATS THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
savestheday91 said:
I think the original source of this news said that he or she reached the 2nd week. So anyone who played on or after the second Monday is concerned.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The difference is.... all Argentines have been painted Guilty whether they are innocent or not... and I suggest you study the form of the elite of the elite players and tell me you are not suspicious of any of their playing patterns and convince me that you are not 100% sure that they are all 100% clean...

I chose Agassi as an example as everyone else paints the Argentines as guilty parties regardless and as your post proves... you didnt like it.... now you know how us Argentine fans feel when everyone we support gets the Guilty brush painted over them.

For the record... I suggest you read the thread "Agassi Dop
ed" - it is at least 15 pages long.... - have a coffee and happy reading.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=54747

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
Unfortunately, when it comes to the topic of doping these days, the Argentines are automatically, without thought or reason, implicated; whether they're guilty or innocent is not even important.

If the names are revealed, and they're not Argentine, still....the Argentine tennis community will be shaken to its core. Every Argentine player's integrity will be called into question every time they step onto a court. Do they need that kind of pressure or scrutiny? I think not.

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
Gouzo said:
I think the original source of this news said that he or she reached the 2nd week. So anyone who played on or after the second Monday is concerned.
According to a certain article I had read, the culprit reached the quarterfinals. If that's the truth, then Acasuso, Coria, Gaudio, and Nalbandian are automatically eliminated from further scrutiny.

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
skel1983 said:
Wait a minute mate, you are very funny, you are calling people for assuming it's an Argentine, and your not happy with this BUT YOU THEN GO ON ABOUT AGASSI!!!!!!!! ASSUMING HE HAS TAKEN DRUGS PLEASE TELL ME WHATS THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!
The nationality. Like she said, if the guilty party is not Argentine, then there would be no further discussion.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.