Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2020 Dimitrov
Jaun Ignacio Londero vs Grigor Dimitrov | Australian Open 2020 R1 ...

2012 Dimitrov
Grigor Dimitrov - Grigor Dimitrov Photos - 2012 Shanghai Rolex ...

Maybe inspired by the "Curious Case thread" , I've wondered about this guy. To be frank, he can hit a forehand, has a good serve, has a brilliant slice and drop shot , excellent feel at the net and is charismatic enough. His top spin backhand is two levels below even Federer's but works against many guys.

In comparison to many players he has been basically injury free and has stamina for days. He played 2017 AO Nadal and looked ready for another two hours.

He is going to have another year wasted and will be turning 30 here sooner than later. Many thought him to be the next great player, but instead he has some 500's and a lucky WTF under his belt...

Is the difference between a GOAT Dimitrov and what we have today , a result of the Big 3?? Or does it have to do with his coaching decision or maybe even off court decisions: Going shopping with Maria Sharapova , dating this girl or that girl.

Or is the fact of the matter that he is just not talented enough.

What are your thoughts?

532 Posts
Considering he "somehow" blew a 5 -2 lead in the 3rd set against Isner in Paris in 2017, I'm actually shocked he's achieved what relatively little success he has up to this point.(3 GS SFs, won Cinc. & Masters Cup).

·
justice for all
18,111 Posts
I think his career wasn’t bad at all. 3 GS SF + 1 ATP 1000 masters + WTF. All this with a very shaky and valnurable BH and a lot of off-court distractions.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think his career wasn’t bad at all. 3 GS SF + 1 ATP 1000 masters + WTF. All this with a very shaky and valnurable BH and a lot of off-court distractions.
Oh please. For someone nicknamed Baby Fed, I'm fed up. But, he's such a nice guy, you can't help but wish him the best. With all his talent I can't figure his career out. I blame Maria.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
justice for all
18,111 Posts
Oh please. For someone nicknamed Baby Fed, I'm fed up. But, he's such a nice guy, you can't help but wish him the best. With all his talent I can't figure his career out. I blame Maria.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Yeah, Sugarpova is a vampire no doubt about it. A beautiful female with big ego and self-focus. A top player needs a partner who is ready to stay in the shadow and sacrifice herself - look at Mirka and Xisca, they are prime examples of that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Definitely had a lot of the raw materials, but it’s really noticeable how little his game has improved over the last decade. He’s obviously put in the work cos his fitness is incredible, but got to wonder if some of that time in the gym should’ve been focused on improving his game instead. That being said his careers not over yet, he’s still got time for a few more big moments, but I can’t see him fulfilling the potential he had back in 2012.

·
6,756 Posts
There was a thread a few years ago, "the curious case of Baby Fed", or something like that.
Is he finished?
Not so sure.
Can he do a Stanimal, and become a late bloomer?
Somehow I doubt that he can.
He has become too defensive, and seems content now just being a run of the mill top 30 or top 20 player.
Nothing wrong with that, but he will never become what he was once touted to be.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Dimitrov won the diva battle against Sharapova... Same with Nicole Swezinger.
He needs an average girlfriend.
Speaking about talent, he is super talented and underachiever.
Sorry for my english

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
In some areas he is very talented, but in others he is lacking badly. He's an awful match player, and tennis IQ is poor. Barring a few relatively short stretches in his career he has always been mentally fragile. I wouldn't describe his serve as being particularly good either - again, far too fragile and can become a liability at any given time.

Taken as a whole I think he's overachieved. He's got a WTF win, his greatest title/moment, which was beyond bizarre and fortunate. The ingredients were clearly never there for him to become great. Great athlete and some great skills, but everything that contributes to the mental side is so important. Truly great players are a different breed mentally, and Dimitrov isn't even on the next level down from that.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
its a shame really, he has a very good style of play, but never had consistency or sheer power to win at the very biggest stages regularly. He, Nishikori and Raonic will remain players who will forever be lost in tennis history, and really it wasn't just the Big Three that held them back either.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Grigor is very hard working guy. And NEVER put his girlfriends before tennis. He is not a playboy. He doesn't drink and don't like night clubs. He has beautiful game to watch, but very inconsistent. He has major issues with his shoulder the last year and a half and that messed up his service and his confidence. I hope he will find a solution. I'm fine with his career so far but he can do much more.

·
Premium Member
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grigor is very hard working guy. And NEVER put his girlfriends before tennis. He is not a playboy. He doesn't drink and don't like night clubs. He has beautiful game to watch, but very inconsistent. He has major issues with his shoulder the last year and a half and that messed up his service and his confidence. I hope he will find a solution. I'm fine with his career so far but he can do much more.

I remember the promise of 2013 Dimitrov. He looked really good in a lot of tournaments and looked to be mentally invested in tennis and succeeding. Never panned out.

I'm not saying his career is over. But a lot of the years have seemed to drift by for Dimitrov.

·
Your visions will happen
51,467 Posts
He simply cannot attack down the line with the backhand consistently. I'm not even talking about winners, I'm talking about changing the ball direction to gain slight advantages in the power dynamics of the rally. Until he can do that, his game is limited, even with his talent and fitness

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
2020 Dimitrov
Jaun Ignacio Londero vs Grigor Dimitrov | Australian Open 2020 R1 ...

2012 Dimitrov
Grigor Dimitrov - Grigor Dimitrov Photos - 2012 Shanghai Rolex ...

Maybe inspired by the "Curious Case thread" , I've wondered about this guy. To be frank, he can hit a forehand, has a good serve, has a brilliant slice and drop shot , excellent feel at the net and is charismatic enough. His top spin backhand is two levels below even Federer's but works against many guys.

In comparison to many players he has been basically injury free and has stamina for days. He played 2017 AO Nadal and looked ready for another two hours.

He is going to have another year wasted and will be turning 30 here sooner than later. Many thought him to be the next great player, but instead he has some 500's and a lucky WTF under his belt...

Is the difference between a GOAT Dimitrov and what we have today , a result of the Big 3?? Or does it have to do with his coaching decision or maybe even off court decisions: Going shopping with Maria Sharapova , dating this girl or that girl.

Or is the fact of the matter that he is just not talented enough.

What are your thoughts?
This question has already been answered in the way of results.

Tommy Paul, Daniil Medvedev, Corentin Moutet, Stanislas Wawrinka (several times), Frances Tiafoe, Fernando Verdasco, Kyle Edmund, Andrey Rublev are the opponents he has lost to in the last few years.

He has lost to Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal a couple of times each, or so. But he has also lost to Benoit Paire, Julien Benneteau, Richard Gasquet, Jeremy Chardy, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Ivo Karlovic, Jack Sock, Mikhail Kukushkin, Viktor Troicki, Steve Johnson, Pablo Carreno Busta and more.

What do you think?

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,243 Posts
Or does it have to do with his coaching decision or maybe even off court decisions: Going shopping with Maria Sharapova , dating this girl or that girl.

This @Kowchi

·
Registered
404 Posts
I remember the promise of 2013 Dimitrov. He looked really good in a lot of tournaments and looked to be mentally invested in tennis and succeeding. Never panned out.

I'm not saying his career is over. But a lot of the years have seemed to drift by for Dimitrov.
He is too nice. Lacks killer instinct.

·
Premium Member
9,369 Posts
This mug was never really that good to begin with, just an average player promoted heavily by the ATP because they were desperate to find someone in case Federer retires and tennis goes back to the dark age of popularity since the Serbian pusher is sucking the life out of any tennis enthusiast nowdays.

During this lockdown if you went through the ATP you could find several useless articles about this mug being posted which weren't even getting that much traffic, they will move on soon enough if they didn't already since everyone can tell guy is a failed experiment.

Dimitrav and his father tried to copy Federer's shot motions which failed hard because his movement is no way near him, forehand is average and backhand is an absolute travesty that gives fits to Lopez.

It's just the same delusional tards that kept deluding themselves he is a contender to any big title meanwhile tennis fans knew this guy won't do shit , if you go search the forum you will find the same delusional posters since 2012 saying the same bollocks which have no foundation, deep down even they are ashamed they could write such delusional shit such as him being a slam contender.

I asked a few Bulgarian people who aren't biased and delusional over their countryman and most said the same thing, guy is overrated, overachieved, average tennis skills and weird guy who doesn't even know what he says in interviews.

As for his achievements I've got zero doubts in mind he will be very happy with what he achieved since even he knows it's more than he ever deserved, I mean just take a look at his last deep run at US Open played absolutely nobodies only to face a Federer with a wobbling leg in QF and needed to grind the grandpa in 5 sets to win, it's an overstatement to even say he had chances the next round.

Thiem beat Federer, Djokovic, Zverev only to lose a WTF title against Tsitsipas while the other grinded down Sock and Goffin.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts