Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polmans and O'Connell deservedly got a AO wildcard already.

Murray will get one too which leaves 4 more I believe?

Popyrin a certainty if not in direct.

Vukic deserves one as has been in the best form of those not in already qualifying for the French.

That leaves 2 or 3 if Pop gets in direct.

Who deserves them? And who will get them?

Bolt and Kokkinakis will get one. Kokk deserves one as in good UTR form and brings crowds plus can beat the very top players.

Imo Bolt and Harris don't deserve one again as in horrible form. Bolt will get one but considering on the TV ads lol.

Also we pretty low on other options too.

Purcell, Tomic lol or even throw a young gun like Rinky in. Anyone else that could sneak one in?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot Kubler. If Kokk gets lots of chances after injuries then Kubler does in a way too. Is tough imo as if players keep getting injured does that mean they deserve WCs? I almost say no and let them show their form first.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Following the WCs for Murray, Nagal, Kokkinakis, Bolt & Vukic I'd say the last WC almost certainly goes to Popyrin.

As for qualies, I'm hoping the last QWC goes to Li Tu, and if Purcell can sneak into qualies directly that his QWC will go to either Smith or Ebden

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Following the WCs for Murray, Nagal, Kokkinakis, Bolt & Vukic I'd say the last WC almost certainly goes to Popyrin.

As for qualies, I'm hoping the last QWC goes to Li Tu, and if Purcell can sneak into qualies directly that his QWC will go to either Smith or Ebden
Agree to all of this! Pop how many out? They are probably waiting

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Agree to all of this! Pop how many out? They are probably waiting
After Federer's withdrawal I think Popyrin is 8 out, so he'll more than likely have to rely on the WC - the only WC alternatives are Harris or Tomic who are the only direct acceptances into qualies, or Smith & Ebden who are the highest ranked people that have been overlooked for QWCs, and I really don't see any of those 4 getting a MDWC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not either nor do either 4 deserve one. Harris can't win a match, Tomic basically quit, JP and Edben had their chances in the past (but did deserve a quallie wc imo due to past form)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
JP Smith takes Mayot's WC who isn't using it due to injury, still the last discretionary one remaining and will likely go to Tu or Bourchier (the last bit is purely speculation)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think Harry Bourchier will get it. I am very glad that JP and Matt are in. Fingers crossed Popyrin gets in on his own merits. If he does who will get the last one? Can they give someone a maindraw one after announcing their participation in the qualifying??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good question. I think as long as before the draw?

They would need to do it before they leave even in that case very soon.

Probs Harry yes but he has kinda stalled so I would rather another up and comer in good form like TU gets a shot.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Good question. I think as long as before the draw?

They would need to do it before they leave even in that case very soon.

Probs Harry yes but he has kinda stalled so I would rather another up and comer in good form like TU gets a shot.
Tu has been very impressive hasn't he! Another one I liked the look of was Bouzige. He has a great game.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Harris vs Bemelmans
Purcell vs Gaston
[WC] Sweeny vs Copil
[WC] Ebden vs [WC] Kubler
[PR] Mott vs Ymer
[WC] Santillan vs (27) Huesler
[WC] Hijikata vs Eubanks
Tomic vs (14) Kovalik
[WC] Schoolkate vs Andreozzi
[WC] Bourchier vs Griekspoor
[WC] Smith vs (25) Lorenzi

Don't anticipate many wins, but the last 4 matches are all in the same section so that could get interesting if a couple of Aussies can pull through

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
(27) Huesler def. [WC] Santillan 6-3 3-6 6-3
[WC] Hijikata def. Eubanks 6-2 6-3, plays winner of (11) Stebe vs Fabbiano

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Harris Def Bemelmans 6-4 5-7 6-3
(WC) Schoolkate Def Andreozzi 7-6(1) 6-4

Some good wins for the Aussies.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Tomic def. (14) Kovalik 6-4 3-6 6-4
[WC] Smith def. (25) Lorenzi 7-5 6-1

Tomic plays Schoolkate next, and Smith plays Griekspoor or Bourchier. Hopefully Harry can pull off a win, if he does we're guaranteed an Aussie qualifier

1 - 20 of 30 Posts