·
Registered
17,762 Posts
It‘s just hard to see either of these men lose right now

Reactions: allpro

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Usually, I would pick Medvedev to win over Thiem, but he looked hampered in a short straights set match against Rublev, so that's concerning. In any case, if Zverev just pushes the ball into play like he did against Coric, then this should be the real final.

·
Registered
824 Posts
There are huge question marks over the Russian's fitness that make him a big doubt for winning this semi final. Even if he does - will he have anything left for the final if it goes three hours plus?
If we are talking about who should have the best chance tactically, it's Medvedev: he can expose the Thiem one hander with the loopy crosscourt backhand and rush his big strokes on this fairly slick, low bouncing court.He could do with utilising the drop shot to expose Thiem's deep court position too: force Thiem to the baseline so he can rush the Austrian's big swings forcing errors.To do that you have to have short angled shots and droppers in your armoury. The Russian has been imperious on serve, so he can expose Thiem's relative weakness in returning.
Thiem needs to keep him out there as long as possible, extend the rallies, and try to get into power hitting competitions with the Russian.Keep the ball in his wheelhouse like he does so well in the best games he plays vs Djokovic (see also Stan Wawrinka).

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hope both will continue at the high level shown so far, and that Thiem takes it in four. Do I believe this to happen? Yes and no, it is a completely open match and I wouldn't be surprised by any result.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i will just relax and watch my two favs battle it out. no bad feelings whoever looses will have had a great tourney anyway, and the winner should lift the trophy if the tennis gods are just.

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
I'm not going to be able to watch the match :(

·
Registered
427 Posts
For Daniil, playing Rublev was somewhat preparation for Thiem's gamestyle in terms of the big forehand shots and the fact that Thiem and Rublev tend to dictate the game with their forehands. Hence, Medvedev may need to do a slight adjustment to Thiem's game (like one-handed BH, etc) and hoping he can win this to reach another final.

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
Thiem in 5 is the only result acceptable .

Reactions: skytennis

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I'm not going to be able to watch the match :(
How's that?

Excited for this one. No idea who will take it. Just hope that they both produce the goods and won't be overwhelmed with the idea that their maiden slam title is getting within reach

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
The real final. What a pity they weren't drawn in opposite sections of the draw.
Medvedev looked damn good vs Rublev but Dominic plays a different brand of tennis (more variety and more spin).
I agree this could go either way, maybe slight advantage to the Russian.
Whoever wins will be the huge favourite for the final and if he lifts it the worthy champion.
Hoping for Dominic rising even more his level and beating The Mad Lad.
Come on, Dominic! Just 2 more to go.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well, this is it: a huge opportunity and a potentially career-defining moment for both men. As Dominic's fan I'm feeling incredibly nervous. Medvedev looked almost invincible against Rublev, and with his big serve and controlled groundstrokes he probably has the edge when things get tight. Dominic has the power and short angles to exploit Medvedev's deep court positioning, but outplaying Daniil from the ground requires a superhuman effort and plenty of bravery. There is also the question of Medvedev's fitness - how will it hold up against Thiem's onslaught? My gut says Medvedev in 4, but my heart says no - Dominic will take this in 5.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts