Mens Tennis Forums banner

5441 - 5460 of 5523 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Wimbledon with its "white-only clothes" orthodoxy is extremely racist too.
They should also provide an option of serving strawberries with black cream.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
It seems like it's your Trump fantasy fantasy.
I actually didn't believe it either, I thought it was your joke.

It is obviously stupid as it is, no further comments needed.

But I can't help adding that anyone who ever played a game of chess should know that playing second, reacting to a move is not a disadvantage in chess.

·
Registered
399 Posts

But I can't help adding that anyone who ever played a game of chess should know that playing second, reacting to a move is not a disadvantage in chess.
Wikipedia first-move-advantage in chess
In chess, there is a general consensus among players and theorists that the player who makes the first move (White) has an inherent advantage. Since 1851, compiled statistics support this view; White consistently wins slightly more often than Black, usually scoring between 52 and 56 percent.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I actually didn't believe it either, I thought it was your joke.

Would you be surprised to know that right now, as we speak, whole bunch of technology companies are spending hundreds of millions dollars to rework their whole software code base and documentation base, eradicate and replace purely technical terms like "blacklist" , "whitelist", refactor that, rebuild, redeploy.
Wonder if Nassim Taleb is busy renaming his book too..

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Wikipedia first-move-advantage in chess
I haven't played chess for a long time, but personally I preferred playing black. Maybe it has to do with the character. I was not aware of this statistics, and I don't remember that was ever an issue. Anyway, after each game we always changed colors.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,244 Posts
Yeah, now they say chess is the racist game, as the whites have a privilege of first move.
This is getting hillarious.
Do you know agadmator's YT channel? Just recently a livestream of him talking with Super GM Nakamura was terminated by the YT bots and he was issued a warning for violating the community guidelines. I guess the bot picked up on sentences like: white is winning, white is in a better position here, black is totally lost, white queen captures black pawn, etc.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I haven't played chess for a long time, but personally I preferred playing black. Maybe it has to do with the character. I was not aware of this statistics, and I don't remember that was ever an issue. Anyway, after each game we always changed colors.
It only means you've never played on anything approaching any serious level.
Whites have major advantage.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Would you be surprised to know that right now, as we speak, whole bunch of technology companies are spending hundreds of millions dollars to rework their whole software code base and documentation base, eradicate and replace purely technical terms like "blacklist" , "whitelist", refactor that, rebuild, redeploy.
Wonder if Nassim Taleb is busy renaming his book too..
It seems a bit more plausible than discussing if the game of chess is racist. But still pointless.

I prefer black to white color not only in chess. See, we in the Balkans mostly hate people that look and speak the same.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,244 Posts
In competition, matches are comprised of even matches, where each player plays half of them as white and half of them as black, alternating. One of the reasons is that White has an advantage. Some tournaments have Armageddon as tie-breaker where a draw is a win for black, this is compensated by giving an extra minute to white.

·
RAVE ON
18,683 Posts
Of course I think he is capable of doing good things. For example, I lean towards non-interventionism, and his record in that area is better than I expected.

You don't see the crazy opponents in the media? But there are some demented people there. People you know you wouldn't want to meet in real life and have a chat with. One day someone will write a book on that subject. I can name names with examples, if that is necessary...you can make a really solid case there.

When I talk about communist/fascist propaganda I refer to the methods, not the ideology. And the main method is to dehumanize and demonize, hit the character rather than policies. In sports terms you are not going after the ball, you are going after the player, and sports fans will say it is not fair.
His non-intervention is probably at the bidding of Putin.

No, I don’t know the media names. I don’t get FOX.

And as for going after the player, that is the only way Trump operates. He has no policy.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I can confirm White's advantage by first-hand experience. Played 8 games with a friend recently and the only one I lost was with black (although it was during a 4-game series that we played with a pre-set opening).

On a more serious note, just checked it on lichess. 33 % white wins, 42 % draw, 25 % black wins above master level, don't think it matters that much at my level.

Btw., fortunately chess isn't sexist too since the king is quite useless compared to the queen at least until the endgame. :lol:

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
His non-intervention is probably at the bidding of Putin.

No, I don’t know the media names. I don’t get FOX.

And as for going after the player, that is the only way Trump operates. He has no policy.
Well, I agree that Trump is surely playing that bad game himself. I was hoping it shouldn't imply that everything is fair game on serious media with national impact when it comes to everything Trump.

Putin or not, only important interventions he did are limited strikes in Syria and drone killing of the Iranian general. And now media are happy to inform us that Iran has issued an arrest warrant against Trump. I suspect if it was some other president such news would not be presented in such a matter-of-fact manner.

You think FOX is the worst? I actually watched democrat governors and other officials on Fox many times, "The Five" Fox panel has a very reasonable and fact-based regular leftist commentator. Only one, but hey, they actually have some debate over there. On CNN or MSNBC, I just see an endless line of one side. If there is a republican, they must be a certified Trump hater...LOL. Recently, Republican senator Tom Cotton (whom I dislike because he is a warhawk. Maybe that's why he deserved some space there in the first place, who knows) ,had an opinion article in NYT. And it caused an outrage. Not because they disagreed with the article (I mostly disagree with it too), but because NYT dared to publish it, Cotton apparently "duped" the NYT. Draw your own conclusion about the current state of affairs in the main media. I will not stop reading NYT because they are a great source of info, and I always liked NYT. But I am much more careful now.

·
RAVE ON
18,683 Posts
Well, I agree that Trump is surely playing that bad game himself. I was hoping it shouldn't imply that everything is fair game on serious media with national impact when it comes to everything Trump.

Putin or not, only important interventions he did are limited strikes in Syria and drone killing of the Iranian general. And now media are happy to inform us that Iran has issued an arrest warrant against Trump. I suspect if it was some other president such news would not be presented in such a matter-of-fact manner.

You think FOX is the worst? I actually watched democrat governors and other officials on Fox many times, "The Five" Fox panel has a very reasonable and fact-based regular leftist commentator. Only one, but hey, they actually have some debate over there. On CNN or MSNBC, I just see an endless line of one side. If there is a republican, they must be a certified Trump hater...LOL. Recently, Republican senator Tom Cotton (whom I dislike because he is a warhawk. Maybe that's why he deserved some space there in the first place, who knows) ,had an opinion article in NYT. And it caused an outrage. Not because they disagreed with the article (I mostly disagree with it too), but because NYT dared to publish it, Cotton apparently "duped" the NYT. Draw your own conclusion about the current state of affairs in the main media. I will not stop reading NYT because they are a great source of info, and I always liked NYT. But I am much more careful now.
By co-incidence, Carl Bernstein is today reporting that Erdogan has a direct line to Trump. Even calls him on the golf course. And whatever source Bernstein has, he says that Erdogan told him to pull troops from Syria.
He also says that top intelligence officials are very worried that Trump is a national security risk.

I think we are somewhat apart on Trump. You see him as a harmless fool, it seems.

I know he is a corrupt, thieving, amoral psychopath. He actually believes he has absolute power. Power enough to have the Justice Dept. make sure all his criminal cronies go free.

Now that he is well behind in the polls, he has actually taken to primarily tweeting that his base may have to take up arms to save themselves from the crazy Democrats.
A tweet of a Trump supporter shouting White Power.
A tweet of a guy with an automatic, standing a few feet away from peaceful protestors.
After Minneapolis, a tweet that when the looting starts, the shooting starts.

It seems to me that the only thing left for him now is to foment violence from now until November and hope that the flames rise high enough to make an election impossible.

Using Canada for comparison, I estimate that Trump’s incompetence, even meddling maliciously, in handling the pandemic, has cost the US 50,000 unnecessary deaths. And that is only until today.

As far as the media goes, it still seems to me that if you just tell the truth, Trump will automatically be seen in a bad light. That is not bias.
There are Republicans on CNN, but most are too cowardly. They won’t answer questions anyway. I watched Azar yesterday. He was only interested in talking about how good a job he is doing. The fact that the US is the worst performing country in the developed world is not part of his univers.
Pence, to CNN, says that it is important to wear masks and distance - unless it is a Trump rally, when the President takes precedence over what is the right thing to do.
Trump of course is too cowardly to go on any news network but FOX.
When CNN asks a question of a Republican in the halls, most of them say they know nothing and run away.
Ahhhh, just put on CNN to see the new death toll, and there is Republican Kinzinger, a regular on CNN.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
@buddyholly I think Trump clearly showed his incompetence and foolishness during this virus crisis. But so did many politicians around the world. Here, they did a mess. We fared relatively well so far, but surely not thanks to the politicians. I am not sure how, to be honest. Maybe the worst is still ahead for us.

The question was not Trump but media bias. I understand that the US has performed bad not only because of Trump, but also because the US is the most reluctant country in the world to readily accept the Chinese ways in dealing with this. I hate this virus too, and I also lose patience with it and at moments I lose my discipline. Trump could have done much better for sure. But in a complex country like the US, with such power separation and division, I can't blame only Trump for this. It wouldn't be fair. I can blame mostly Trump but not just him. Without Trump, if it was Bush or Obama, it would be better in terms of hope and unity in this crisis. But the death toll, I don't know. I am not so sure about such big Trump impact. I am just trying to be objective, not defending Trump.

Trump is a flawed individual, but yes, he is limited in damage that he can possibly do, fortunately. I hope he loses the election not because I think he is so dangerous, but first because I want this political and media madness to stop and things go back to normal, second, I disagree politically with Trump and his nationalistic vision, and third,he is too divisive (he didn't invent that division though). Without this virus and protests...well, as pedigree mentioned, the US did not perform so bad economically. My only point was there is no reason for the media to treat Trump worse than Saddam Hussein, in his own country. He is still the president.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
5441 - 5460 of 5523 Posts