Mens Tennis Forums banner

4621 - 4640 of 4967 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
My long time Cuban friend and tennis buddy for years, now in Miami, has stopped communicating with me, because he was tired of people criticicising the US because of their percieved failure of Trump‘s ability to deal with the pandemic. When I tried to explain that it was my love of the US that that led me to say that a proven thief, conman and racist does not in any way represent American ideals, but in fact represents the opposite, the emails stopped. I told him that Trump was a man that would look at him and think "rapist and thief". Trump is the very opposite of what the Statue of Liberty stands for.
I think both you and your friend have valid points. While I understand that criticism of Trump can be legitimately interpreted as an expression of love for the US, I have also noticed that the anti Trump sentiment is often used for thinly veiled hate on the US. As a matter of fact, the latter seems to be more common, at least internationally.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
My long time Cuban friend and tennis buddy for years, now in Miami, has stopped communicating with me, because he was tired of people criticicising the US because of their percieved failure of Trump‘s ability to deal with the pandemic. When I tried to explain that it was my love of the US that that led me to say that a proven thief, conman and racist does not in any way represent American ideals, but in fact represents the opposite, the emails stopped. I told him that Trump was a man that would look at him and think "rapist and thief". Trump is the very opposite of what the Statue of Liberty stands for.

But I did find out earlier from another Cuban friend, now also in Miami, that to progress in that society, absolute subservience to the Republican Party was essential. Actually we also lost touch some time ago, after I told him that his relentless whining about the shortcomings of Miami Haitians was of no interest me.

Funny how when some people finally find freedom, they then don’t want others to have it.
Yup, the bolded. Fantastic post overall, BH.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,200 Posts
But I did find out earlier from another Cuban friend, now also in Miami, that to progress in that society, absolute subservience to the Republican Party was essential. Actually we also lost touch some time ago, after I told him that his relentless whining about the shortcomings of Miami Haitians was of no interest me.

Funny how when some people finally find freedom, they then don’t want others to have it.
Some freedom, that.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts

Funny how you pretend your friend to accept your condescending lecturing on what's best for him (always the 'civilized neighbour') and your constant insufferable whining about the president of his country while at the same time you won't even listen to what he has to say. No wonder the mail stopped arriving.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
But I did find out earlier from another Cuban friend, now also in Miami, that to progress in that society, absolute subservience to the Republican Party was essential.
You might also get curious what is normally the price for speaking up the Republican point of view to your colleagues in Silicon Valley or NYC corporations.
I don't know how it is in Florida. But say something contrary to modern liberal political correctness bullshit concept in thise two places, and I don't envy you..

·
RAVE ON
18,509 Posts
I think both you and your friend have valid points. While I understand that criticism of Trump can be legitimately interpreted as an expression of love for the US, I have also noticed that the anti Trump sentiment is often used for thinly veiled hate on the US. As a matter of fact, the latter seems to be more common, at least internationally.
In my case, if my long record in this forum was looked at, I was usually more supportive of the USA than most Americans.
So I am certainly not directing hate at the US right now, just waiting for it to heal.

·
RAVE ON
18,509 Posts
You might also get curious what is normally the price for speaking up the Republican point of view to your colleagues in Silicon Valley or NYC corporations.
I don't know how it is in Florida. But say something contrary to modern liberal political correctness bullshit concept in thise two places, and I don't envy you..
I was not talking about a Republican point of view. I was talking about Trump and expressing scorn for the damage he has done.

·
RAVE ON
18,509 Posts
Funny how you pretend your friend to accept your condescending lecturing on what's best for him (always the 'civilized neighbour') and your constant insufferable whining about the president of his country while at the same time you won't even listen to what he has to say. No wonder the mail stopped arriving.
I didn’t lecture him on what is best for him at all. I expressed my opinion.

And when did I stop listening to him? Not ever.

What is wrong with you?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Are you aware that if Trump had acted as a National leader one week earlier, 35,000 lives might have been saved, two weeks earlier and 84% of deaths might have been prevented?

As for nursing homes, I do not know the details, but think that Ontario has similar or even higher death rates in long term homes. So that is a red herring. Long term home residents were in trouble every which way.

What Cuomo did was become the national spokesman for coronavirus news in the US. People were watching the shambles of Trump’s briefings for amusement, not for information.

EDIT: Just did a brief search. It seems that deaths in long term care homes in NY are much the same as, or less than in many other states.
So red herring it seems to be.

Maybe ys was studying dead plants.
Yet when Trump issued the China travel ban, Dems like Biden screeched that it was racist & xenophobic. You obsessively lay all blame on Trump even though Dems like Nancy Pelosi encouraged people to attend the San Francisco Lunar New Year festivities, claiming that bigotry was more dangerous than the coronavirus. NYC's Health Commissioner Oxiris Barbot also encouraged New Yorkers to attend Lunar New Year's in NYC, as well as to keep riding the subway. Mayor DeBlasio (falsely) assured New Yorkers that people under 50 were safe and even encouraged people to go to the movies.

As for "inevitable" nursing home deaths, Cuomo could have done what Florida Gov. DeSantis chose to do, to keep elderly coronavirus-infected patients in hospitals instead of forcing them back into nursing homes. Compare the number of deaths in NY vs. FL.

You trip all over yourself to give Dems a free pass while maniacally blaming Trump for every single US death. Your Ahabesque obsession with Trump is just so damn tiresome.

·
RAVE ON
18,509 Posts
Great to see you have surfaced again. I just checked to see when you last posted and discovered that a month ago you asked me to check my PM. I had missed that, so only just saw it. So, check your PM now For my response.
Somehow with the new format I do not seem to get an alert.

·
RAVE ON
18,509 Posts
Yet when Trump issued the China travel ban, Dems like Biden screeched that it was racist & xenophobic. You obsessively lay all blame on Trump even though Dems like Nancy Pelosi encouraged people to attend the San Francisco Lunar New Year festivities, claiming that bigotry was more dangerous than the coronavirus. NYC's Health Commissioner Oxiris Barbot also encouraged New Yorkers to attend Lunar New Year's in NYC, as well as to keep riding the subway. Mayor DeBlasio (falsely) assured New Yorkers that people under 50 were safe and even encouraged people to go to the movies.

As for "inevitable" nursing home deaths, Cuomo could have done what Florida Gov. DeSantis chose to do, to keep elderly coronavirus-infected patients in hospitals instead of forcing them back into nursing homes. Compare the number of deaths in NY vs. FL.

You trip all over yourself to give Dems a free pass while maniacally blaming Trump for every single US death. Your Ahabesque obsession with Trump is just so damn tiresome.
I have never given the Dems a free pass. Mistakes were made in the early days on all sides. But today, only Trump is willing to sacrifice lives for a vote.

And Trump did not put a travel ban on China. He banned non- Americans that had been in China in the previous 14 days. After the ban, thousands of people came to the US from China. They were admitted and not quarantined or tested. Studies have shown that the "Trump travel ban" had little effect on the spread of coronavirus. And by that time coronavirus was flooding into the west coast from Europe, anyway. Far more effective would have been hand-washing and social distancing.
But I think Trump believes that most of his voters think that Chinese people carried the virus, not Americans coming back from China. He probably got that right.
Almost four months later, Trump still has only one thing to say about his actions - "I put an early travel ban on China". Well, he didn’t.
And in the intervening four months what has he done other than say it is going to go away, before giving up and going away himself. He has moved on to big issues, like non-existent election fraud and his ludicrous attempt to start an Obamagate conspiracy theory. Until Barr, of all people, told him to forget that, it was fake news.

Don’t read my posts and you will feel less tired.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Indeed the absence of @ssin on NT was truly felt (even though we interacted via PMs not long ago on why he decided to choose this path) I hope he postes a bit more often. We disagree as much as we do agree but posts of BH and ssin made me love this section of MTF in the first place.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,200 Posts
Kayleigh McEnany is on a roll, nails it again. I wish she could do all the conferences instead of Trump.

·
RAVE ON
18,509 Posts
Kayleigh McEnany is on a roll, nails it again. I wish she could do all the conferences instead of Trump.

Rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off.
One for the record Books, eh? Yeah, when they publish, "100 dumbest things ever said by Kayleigh McEnany."

Quinine is an ingredient in tonic water. I have it every day in my gin and tonic.

McEnany does indeed best Kellyanne in the bimbo department. She clearly knows her audience.

i think she nailed the job when she told a reporter that she is 100% confident that Trump has never told a lie.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
You know what exactly 1 week earlier before the national US lockdown? You could remember your own feelings and reactions towards possible restrictions. I remember mine.
It was March 8. It was the day of Indian Wells cancelation. For at least a couple of days more I kept on thinking - WTF, why is this idiotic panic?
Almost no one had any idea of a magnitude of the threat at that point. NBA would play games for 4 more days.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,200 Posts
Rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off.
One for the record Books, eh? Yeah, when they publish, "100 dumbest things ever said by Kayleigh McEnany."

Quinine is an ingredient in tonic water. I have it every day in my gin and tonic.

McEnany does indeed best Kellyanne in the bimbo department. She clearly knows her audience.

i think she nailed the job when she told a reporter that she is 100% confident that Trump has never told a lie.
Wanna guess why it does not harm you? Very low dose. Still, some people do not tolerate this dose in tonic water and some risk groups should not drink it.

As a medication, where dosage is obviously much higher, it is not recommended by the FDA and WHO to treat malaria unless the parasite has resistance to the other drugs, like HCQ, so guess which one is more risky?

Sorry buddy, you're the one who came out as dumb on this one.

·
RAVE ON
18,509 Posts
Wanna guess why it does not harm you? Very low dose. Still, some people do not tolerate this dose in tonic water and some risk groups should not drink it.

As a medication, where dosage is obviously much higher, it is not recommended by the FDA and WHO to treat malaria unless the parasite has resistance to the other drugs, like HCQ, so guess which one is more risky?

Sorry buddy, you're the one who came out as dumb on this one.
No, you are.

I did not mention that he was taking a homeopathic dilution of quinine. Which is to say, he was actually taking water. Even lower than a very low dose. Just wanted to see how many people would automatically accept that quinine must be some horrible stuff, because it came from the mouth of the oracle, McEnany.

The only thing McEnany could have criticized him for was being stupid enough to take homeopathic "medicines". Which are all composed of one thing - sugar water.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,200 Posts
No, you are.

I did not mention that he was taking a homeopathic dilution of quinine. Which is to say, he was actually taking water. Even lower than a very low dose. Just wanted to see how many people would automatically accept that quinine must be some horrible stuff, because it came from the mouth of the oracle, McEnany.

The only thing McEnany could have criticized him for was being stupid enough to take homeopathic "medicines". Which are all composed of one thing - sugar water.
McEnany did not say it was some horrible stuff, was simply pointing out the hypocrisy, since Chris said HCQ is not supported by science. She said she had learned this tidbit about Cuomo just before coming to the press conference, so she might had been under the impression that he took the proper medical dosage, as I was. Turns out Chris is not only an hypocrite but dumb too, he believes in homeopathy.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
You know what exactly 1 week earlier before the national US lockdown? You could remember your own feelings and reactions towards possible restrictions. I remember mine.
It was March 8. It was the day of Indian Wells cancelation. For at least a couple of days more I kept on thinking - WTF, why is this idiotic panic?
Almost no one had any idea of a magnitude of the threat at that point. NBA would play games for 4 more days.
Who cares about your feelings or my feelings. Trump, Merkel, Putin, etc., get their Intel reports, don't they?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I didn’t lecture him on what is best for him at all. I expressed my opinion.

And when did I stop listening to him? Not ever.

What is wrong with you?
" Actually we also lost touch some time ago, after I told him that his relentless whining about the shortcomings of Miami Haitians was of no interest me."

LoL, forgetting what you wrote yesterday? what's wrong with you? NEWSFLASH: you aren't the only person with the right to relentless whine, did he ever tell you he wasn't interested in your relentless whining about his president?

4621 - 4640 of 4967 Posts