2020 US Presidential Election Discussion

207K views 7K replies 185 participants last post by  MWW 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Re: Post 2016 US Presidential Election/Global Politics Thread

:facepalm:

#6 ·
Re: Post 2016 US Presidential Election

Feel bad for Ivanka that it happened to her like that but she took it well. Yeah sure Trump may be a jerk but taking it out on the daughter in front of her kids in public is wrong and changes nothing. I was also a bit surprised it was non private flight but I guess sometimes we just want to be like everybody else.
Jetblue is almost like a low cost carrier. Shocking she was flying it. Maybe the whole thing is a stunt.

#5 ·

Feel bad for Ivanka that it happened to her like that but she took it well. Yeah sure Trump may be a jerk but taking it out on the daughter in front of her kids in public is wrong and changes nothing. I was also a bit surprised it was non private flight but I guess sometimes we just want to be like everybody else.

#11 ·

Egypt delays UN motion on Israel as Trump intervenes

Egypt has delayed a UN vote on a text condemning Israeli settlements in occupied territory after Israel asked Donald Trump to intervene.

Israel contacted the US president-elect's transition team after learning that the Obama administration might abstain in a Security Council vote.

The move would have allowed the motion to pass, a US official told the BBC.

Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi discussed the issue in a phone call with Mr Trump, Mr Sisi's office said.

In a statement, it said the two men had agreed on "the importance of giving a chance for the new American administration to deal in a comprehensive way with the different aspects of the Palestinian issue".

The resolution submitted by Egypt called for Israel to stop settlement activity in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, which it said breached international law.

It was to have been put to a vote on Thursday, but Egypt withdrew it hours before the meeting was due to start.

Israel's ambassador the US Ron Dermer expressed gratitude to Mr Trump, tweeting "Israel deeply appreciates the clear and unequivocal call of President-elect @realDonaldTrump to veto anti-Israel resolution at the UN."

The US, which holds the power of veto as a permanent member of the Security Council, has traditionally sheltered Israel from condemnatory resolutions by voting them down.

The Obama administration has long made clear its opposition to Israeli settlement building and there had been speculation that in its final month it might allow a resolution against settlements to pass at the UN.

Earlier on Thursday, Mr Trump, who takes over as president on 20 January, had urged the Security Council to defeat the motion.

"Peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians will only come through direct negotiations between the parties, and not through the imposition of terms by the United Nations," he said in a statement.

"This puts Israel in a very poor negotiating position and is extremely unfair to all Israelis."

After the postponement of the vote, an Israeli official told Reuters news agency that it had warned the Obama administration in advance that it would appeal to the president-elect if the US abstained, and confirmed that it had directly asked Mr Trump to intervene.

However, four other members of the Security Council warned that if Egypt did not press ahead with its resolution, other member states would do so.

New Zealand, Venezuela, Malaysia, and Senegal said they reserved the right to move ahead with the vote.

The issue of Jewish settlements is one of the most contentious between Israel and the Palestinians, who see them as an obstacle to peace.

About 500,000 Jews live in about 140 settlements built since Israel's 1967 occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem. The settlements are considered illegal under international law, though Israel disputes this.
Egypt delays UN motion on Israel as Trump intervenes - BBC News

Mister ''America first'' is already taking direct orders from Israel :spit:

#14 · (Edited)
#28 ·

Israel is the only sane place in the middle east. I'm totally on their side.
From what I know of the region, and from what I know about the Israeli situation with Palestine, which isn't a great amount, I'd have to agree. Then again, that may be my bias against Islam speaking.

#15 ·

About Obama oil drilling ban in Arctic . It only forces Exxon to seek oil drilling possibilities in Russian Arctic. Exxon already has multi-billion cooperation in Ohkotsk Sea with Russia and they built the biggest oil rig in the world there. Sakhalin region is not exactly Arctic, but climate is similar and Russians needs partners, they dont have enough money or modern technology to drill themselves there. Only obstacle to drill in Russian Arctic regions are sanctions. Trump may lift them.

https://youtu.be/FM-wbLh4Hrs

If Obama @ Co want to keep sanctions against Russia, then to ban US Arctic drilling was exceptionally stupid move.

#18 ·

#25 ·

That was really spot on. The media played a huge role, too. I remember during the primaries it was just Trump, Trump, Trump, mostly negative but who cares. Left media were amused because it looked like Trump was demolishing the GOP. FOX was initially hostile to Trump too and only later got in line. It was a huge amount of free media space for Trump, I don't have figures now but they are not talking about millions but billions of media time worth. It was a very special election in many ways, I think it is not likely to repeat. Trump ingeniously used the opposition to his own benefit. At the end it was almost like 'he is repulsive but I would love to see what he is going to do next". The economy was No1 but the media effect was very close behind.

This post has been deleted
#40 · (Edited)

Really happy with the UN resolution. Bravo world.

Israel is occupying Palestinian lands according to 1967 borders with their settlements. World agree and adress that. Hopefuly it will stop, and there will be two states solution.

Netanyahu considering cutting ties with UN and its members :haha: :haha: Guy is insane, not so different than our dumb Erdogan. Idiotic threats from idiotic men.

Don't kid anyone, if you want peace there, follow the rule of law which world urges you to and withdraw from the occupation.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
When people start wars, there are consequences. You can't just lose and then demand to get back what you lost.
If those were the rules, there would be no deterrent to just starting the next war.
Israel already returned the Sinai. What has been done with all that land?
Giving up the West Bank would be like committing suicide, given the thirst for blood and Jewish genocide in the Arab world.

#41 ·

Its pretty awesome the way the Republicans won The Senate, House Of Representatives and White House simultaneously, for the first time since 1928.
The media spent many months making fun of how shambolic and divided the Republican party was....

#45 ·

Liberal anti-Russian conspiracy theories are peaking :worship:

Trump was groomed for thirty years to become the United States president by a state that ceased to exist in 1991.

This one is spectacular as well:

#46 ·

Liberal anti-Russian conspiracy theories are peaking :worship:

Trump was groomed for thirty years to become the United States president by a state that ceased to exist in 1991.

This one is spectacular as well:

We on the left are not immune to riiculous conspiracy theories ourselves

There is indeed a growing "alt-left" on my side that I am apprehensive about. Way too anarchistic and not enough progressive though they may claim to be.

We need to recover and at least take back some seats in Congress in 2018. From now it all depends on how we get the party back together. The fact that our leaders are 74 and 75 year old Biden and Sanders is telling. Warren is 67. We need young blood here. And by young, I mean like 40-50's. We gotta get a new Obama.

Gavin Newsom may be the guy. 49. Lt. Governor of California. But we gonna see. He'll be 53 in 2020, Obama was like 51 when he took office. So we have a chance

#52 ·

Gabbard has ties to far-right Hindu extremists

Would still vote for her over most 2020 candidates (not Sanders, unsure about Warren), but there's reason for skepticism.
The bulk of the Islamophobia claims seem to originate from this article: The Curious Islamophobic Politics of Dem Congressmember Tulsi Gabbard | Alternet

Here is what she said in two interviews on the matter: https://medium.com/@Harihar/rep-tulsi-gabbard-on-islam-vs-islamism-c87b1ceefb1

#54 ·

This whole Tulsi Gabbard is pro-BJP thing is beyond ridiculous. (Disclaimer: I supported the BJP during the last election because the other option was so much worse, but have been a very strong critic of them since).

It seems that most articles that called her pro-BJP have been citing the first article CK posted above. After a bit of searching (including the two link CK posted above), this idea seems to stem from 3 points:
1) Her being against a bill that indirectly tried to condemn the BJP just months before Indian elections.
2) That some Indian origin people in the US who supported the BJP in the last Indian election have also supported Gabbard.
3) (And this is the funniest) Hey! She posed for a picture with a BJP activist.

Point 1 is quite absurd. The same people who are up in arms about Russian alleged involvement in the US elections have a problem when someone says that the US should not be getting involved in other countries elections? Hacking emails of a US party is a big no no. But condemning one of two major political parties of another country a few months before it's elections is just fine and dandy. Reminds me of something I posted in the earlier thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/3-n...s-presidential-election-322.html#post37277209

Re. point 2: These Indian origin US citizens have been pro-BJP only very recently. In the past 3-4 years. Their support has shifted from one political party to another. Doesn't make Gabbard pro-BJP.

Re. point 3: As CK's second link shows, Gabbard has enough links with the Congress(Indian political party opposed to the BJP). Additionally, she seems to have a particular affinity to an Indian journalist Barkha Dutt, who is considered among BJP supporters to be rabidly anti-BJP. But, hey! she posed for a picture with a BJP fellow. Clear proof :lol:

---

So much hysteria behind nothing. Gabbard is simply welcoming support from all Indian-origin Americans, irrespective of their beliefs with regard to Indian politics, and irrespective of their ideological stances. Cherry picking within that isn't going to paint an accurate picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.