Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hilarious match. At first, Tsitsipas was amazingly impotent on the clutch, wasting a ton of BPs, getting broken twice from 40-0 up (lol), and mugging up returning right until Djokovic got to MP on serve. Then Djokovic suddenly faltered, allowed a break back and Stef surprisingly started fighting real hard. Novak himself was seriously unclutch in the fourth set, although Tsits' clutchness played a big rolde as he hit a lot of big balls under pressure, particularly backhands. Unfortunately, having spent so much energy he couldn't cope with whatever niggle he had (took an MTO earlier in the fourth) and went down easily in the decider. Nadal is definitely licking his chops at this, could possibly send Djokovic packing in straight sets if he takes it seriously. I'll be rooting squarely for him in the final, Djo doesn't deserve to sniff the title after this muggery.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Unnecessary extra 1.5 hrs on court but whatever, a win is a win. I would treat that as more practice time. Djokovic was super clutch in the first 2 sets, then after wasting a MP with his enthusiastic BHDTL error, roles totally reversed. Tsitsipas became extremely clutch that it was sooo annoying to watch as a Nole fan. Djokovic had BPs in EVERY service game of Tsitsipas in the last 2 sets (9!), and we ended up with a final set. Tsitsipas probably felt it in his legs a bit in the final set, but kudos to Djokovic for staying so calm, and keeping fighting and believing. Had I been in his situation, after wasting a MP and 100 BPs in the 4th set, I would have gone crazy. Seriously. And had he lost this match, it would surely have been his worst loss ever for me, so I was really prepared to be in deep ruins, but then that last set just went by so quick. Thanks Novak but please don’t ever do something like this again.

Tsitsipas should be proud of his efforts, especially after losing in such fashion against Coric not so long ago.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
King wanted some more practice for the final and tanked two sets

Rafa in ruins

·
Registered
21,616 Posts
These weakling kids need better diets and doctors, what a joke

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Don't get your hopes high, this Nadal will be 2x easier than Tsitsipas.
No regrets from Tsitsipas, gave it all on court.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Djokovic fit as a daisy in that final set, in contrast to his far younger opponent. The neck issues in the previous match must have really been something serious.

That being said, Djokovic won many matches over the years he should have lost, but this one wasn't one of them. He was the far superior player, deserved win, no antics this time. Approved.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I am just not seeing Rafa winning on Sunday. I think Djokovic will have less pressure. Number 20, number 13 for Rafa might be too much. If Djokovic goes into it like he has nothing to lose, it should be easy 4 set win.

·
Registered
16,155 Posts
Speechless at how good that was, the drama, twists and turns.

Only complaint was Tsitsipas not rewarding himself with a final game there, missing an open FH I/I on game point.

I‘ll sort my thoughts tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Good match.

Djokovic in absolute control, and then he decided to do a practice session and gift two sets to the opponent.

Djokovic looked fresh even after 5 sets, and all his shots are working. There is no stopping him.

Reactions: Djoker

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
It was Semifinalloss Shitshispants for almost 3 sets, then after receiving a lifeline, he stepped up and showed some amazing tennis. The level was insane and match was on razor's edge. At the end, Novak's stamina and experience prevailed. No regrets for Stef, he can build on this. He was so mature during this whole run, and I think he's growing on me, after being repulsive instagram brat in my eyes. Welcome to manhood.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts