Marriage Story
The Irishman
Parasite
Once upon a time in Hollywood
Jojo Rabbit
Little Women
Ford v Ferrari
Joker

Which ones you have seen? your fave to win the Best Picture?

I have seen 5 out of 9; Marriage Story, The Irishman, Parasite, OUATIH and Joker. And I would pick either Joker or Parasite, knowing the Academy never went with foreign film for the best picture even after nominating them for it (Amour, Roma etc) so Joker would be the one for me.

Would like to read your take ons, especially about the ones I heven't seen yet.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Precursor awards suggests a OUATIH win.

Parasite/1917 are the other contenders(former is a huge critical favorite).

I've seen the same 5/9 so cant help your there.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Precursor awards suggests a OUATIH win.

Parasite/1917 are the other contenders(former is a huge critical favorite).

I've seen the same 5/9 so cant help your there.
betting odds suggests either 1917 or The Irishman is going to get the best picture, hope they are wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
I've seen OUATIH, Marriage Story, Parasite, Little Women and Joker (the other films I'm not really interested in). Out of those and in an ideal world I would think Parasite should win hands down, since it's easily one of the most interesting, original and tone-shifting films to come out in a while.

However, the Academy has proven time and time again these awards are an absolute joke, so I'm really not going to be following the ceremony.

Joker is indeed a strong candidate, mainly due to its popularity IMO. I think, while a good film, it's a bit sloppy regarding how the story flows. Feels too segmented and lacks depth and continuity in some of the topics it attempts to approach. It's masterfully acted though, and Phoenix probably carried the film to a status it doesn't really deserved as a whole. Sound design top notch as well.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best Picture:

I want Joker, prediction; The Irishman

Best Director:

I want Bong Joon-ho, prediction; Martin Scorsese

Best Actor:

I want Joaquin Phoenix, prediction; Joaquin Phoenix

Best Actress:

I want Scarlett Johansson, prediction; Renée Zellweger

Best Supporting Actor:

I want Brad Pitt, prediction; Joe Pesci

Best Supporting Actress

I want Florence Pugh, prediction; Laura Dern

Best International Film

I want Parasite, prediction; Parasite

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've only watched 1917 and The Irishman (I watch a ton of old movies so I'm always behind with the new ones), I wouldn't be mad with either of them winning as both are pretty good.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Saw:
The Irishman - really bad. De Niro in young man makeup doing "fight" scenes that make him look like he's 80. Way too long. Couldn't finish. BORING
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - great. A bit too long for my taste, but excellent job capturing the 60s LA feel. Ending was crazy. Leo was great.
Joker - JP was great. Movie was artistically good, but not pleasant to watch.

Really want to see Parasite.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Ouatih - too long and pretty boring, unusual for a Tarantino movie
Joker - JP nailed it. Best actor win imho
Irish man- ridiculously long and basically a crop of old mafia movies- nothing new
1917 - not a bad movie but there were far better movies i.e Hacksaw ridge
Ford vs Ferrari - imho was an unexpectedly good movie. Very entertaining and not a single moment of boredom. Also Christian Bale was majestic as always.
On a side note, i really dunno why Bale hasnt won an Oscar for best actor yet. The guy is a monster.
Same thing happened to Leo, until they gave him the award for Revenant, a pretty meh movie, although he has had way much better acting performances prior to that in other movies.
And lets face it, the Academy Awards are a bunch of trolls, fake idiocy. Nothing real there.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have seen 5 out of 9; Marriage Story, The Irishman, Parasite, OUATIH and Joker.
I should also make an update, likewise @ssin I recently saw Ford v Ferrari, liked it, nothing extraordinary but it was cool, even though I couldn't care less about cars in general, managed to make me involved.

So the only ones yet to be seen are Little Women, Jojo Rabbit and 1917. Have no intention to see Little Women (saw the trailer and nah, not for me) I will try to watch Jojo Rabbit first, same director there who directed Hunt for the Wilderpeople which I absolutely enjoyed, so curious about that one. 1917 should be the last one, before the awards or after not sure though.

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
I should also make an update, likewise @ssin I recently saw Ford v Ferrari, liked it, nothing extraordinary but it was cool, even though I couldn't care less about cars in general, managed to make me involved.

So the only ones yet to be seen are Little Women, Jojo Rabbit and 1917. Have no intention to see Little Women (saw the trailer and nah, not for me) I will try to watch Jojo Rabbit first, same director there who directed Hunt for the Wilderpeople which I absolutely enjoyed, so curious about that one. 1917 should be the last one, before the awards or after not sure though.
Highly recommend Jojo Rabbit. It's a beautiful film, very entertaining and there's a lot of stuff in there to think about. Also the comedy bits are sooo good and fit the story perfectly as they're tied to a kid's naive PoV about a horrific context.

1917 was ok for me, too much spectacle, little substance. But that's just my preference for movies playing a part.

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
Irish man- ridiculously long and basically a crop of old mafia movies- nothing new
Ford vs Ferrari - imho was an unexpectedly good movie. Very entertaining and not a single moment of boredom. Also Christian Bale was majestic as always.
On a side note, i really dunno why Bale hasnt won an Oscar for best actor yet. The guy is a monster.
Same thing happened to Leo, until they gave him the award for Revenant, a pretty meh movie, although he has had way much better acting performances prior to that in other movies.
And lets face it, the Academy Awards are a bunch of trolls, fake idiocy. Nothing real there.
Same thing happened with Al Pacino, didn't get an award for The Godfather or Dog Day Afternoon but for Scent of a Woman (reminder that DW was killing it as Malcolm X at the time).

The Academy Awards have always been an absolute joke.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Bale already has an Oscar and getting a second one at a young age is unprecedented

1 - 20 of 35 Posts