Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking forward to IW and hopefully there won’t be any covid related mass-hysteria disruptions.

i rarely make picks before the draw comes out, but i’m liking djoker’s chances to win a record setting 6th IW and 35th m1000. and on a side note, given the 128 player draw format (96 players) and overall size and magnitude of the event, IW should be upgraded to a new ‘Masters 1250’ designation. i never understood why an m1000 which requires 6/7 wins for the title is allotted the same points to the champion as other m1000’s which require only 5/6 wins for the title.

have at it..

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
My greatest regret is that Rogie won't get to play here in 2020!! On the women's side I'm hoping Bianca Andreescu will play and successfully defend her title!! My thought, Djokovic likely wins to start the season 24-0!!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Disappointed that this is not about the Indian Well Challenger.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i rarely make picks before the draw comes out, but i’m liking djoker’s chances to win a record setting 6th IW and 35th m1000. and on a side note, given the 128 player draw and overall size and magnitude of the event, IW should be upgraded to a new ‘Masters 1250’ designation. i never understood why an m1000 which requires 6/7 wins for the title is allotted the same points to the champion as other m1000’s which require only 5/6 wins for the title.
Little difference between 6-round Masters and 5-round Masters. Just one more match against a low ranking player of ranking about No.65 or weaker.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I always think that IW is the 6th biggest tournament in the calendar. Almost two weeks, like a GS and 128 bracket draw and compare it to the joke Bercy, which gets the same amount of points

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I always think that IW is the 6th biggest tournament in the calendar. Almost two weeks, like a GS and 128 bracket draw and compare it to the joke Bercy, which gets the same amount of points
Both Indian Wells and Miami are 96 players draw. 32 players get 32 byes in the first round.
128-32 = 96

These 2 events are the biggest of the 9 Masters 1000s events. Paris is the smallest with 48 players draw. The remaining 6 Masters events are 56 players draw.

·
Registered
11,702 Posts

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
Little difference between 6-round Masters and 5-round Masters. Just one more match against a low ranking player of ranking about No.65 or weaker.
That sub 32 first rounder the seeds are facing in the 2nd round might be Struff or Cilic or Kyrgios

·
Premium Member
10,344 Posts
Obviously Nadal game should be favoured with wind and high bounce. Thiem's too.

Djokovic with his accuracy and his lacking power shots could be clueless in the wind. We saw many times in the past (USO FO MC) wind is preventing him from targetting close to the lines and his shots become harmless because just lacking power....

So he could be endangered any round...

That said he has successfully played a preparation event in Dubai (even if different bounce) and will not be rusty like last year here.
And with some perspective, he has won 5 IW in the past (Nadal 3) and is HtoH 3/1 vs. Nadal in IW so if both reach the latest stage, we could have a Challenge.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1

paris should be scrapped altogether or demoted to 500 status

·
Banned
9 Posts
Obviously Nadal game should be favoured with wind and high bounce. Thiem's too.

Djokovic with his accuracy and his lacking power shots could be clueless in the wind. We saw many times in the past (USO FO MC) wind is preventing him from targetting close to the lines and his shots become harmless because just lacking power....

So he could be endangered any round...

That said he has successfully played a preparation event in Dubai (even if different bounce) and will not be rusty like last year here.
And with some perspective, he has won 5 IW in the past (Nadal 3) and is HtoH 3/1 vs. Nadal in IW so if both reach the latest stage, we could have a Challenge.
Great post. I think it’s Nadal or Thiem. Depending on draw it could be the final. Thiem was poor in Rio though which is of concern

·
Banned
9 Posts
Tsitsipas for me. In decent form and motivated to win a M1000.

I think Djokovic will bomb out QF or similar.
Djokovic simply nowhere near as dominant in America as he is in Asia and Australia. Plus he is not comfortable with a higher bounce so I agree he will likely not make final

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Kwiatkowski destroyed Chung. 7-6(2) 6-2 but it was much more one-sided than that.

Too bad for him.
And just a day later Caruso seems to be destroying Kwiatkowski here :cool:

But truth be told I hadnt realized Chungs time had gone by now. I thought he was still a good prospect but looking at his past results - yeah lets not go there.

Still, beating Djokovic 3-0 @ AO is something to be proud of.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts