Mens Tennis Forums banner

661 - 680 of 769 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Don't post too much these days but I couldn't possibly miss the match thread where Rafa finally catches up with Roger's slam total. :love: To do it three easy sets against his toughest rival and in his worst possible RG conditions is just ridiculous. Two UE in the first set & three in the second while playing his most aggressive brand of tennis explains the scoreline in those sets. Djokovic did not play poorly during rallies and indeed tended to take most points where Nadal left the slightest opening. Problem was those opening were few and far between.

I'll admit that I didn't fancy Nadal's chances going into this; I became even more pessimistic when I saw the roof was closed from the outset. Nadal's tactics against Schwartzman were effective for neutralizing a shorter player with a more aggressive game but they would have left him much more vulnerable to Djokovic's BH especially. But thankfully I could could count on two hands the number of times Rafa hit loopy DTL BH's; instead he ended several points with an absolutely devastating CC BH. Don't think I've seen that shot be so reliable for him in a high pressure match for a few years at least. Nadal's footwork was also exceptional and that allowed him to hit a few vintage crosscourt IOFH to even more devastating effect than his CC BH. Djokovic OTOH looked more and more flat on his feet as the first two sets progressed. You know things are bad for him when he starts doing his Matrix impression. o_O

I do think it was ridiculous to have cameras occasionally cutting to clear skies and sunlight eventually leaking onto the court. I'm glad they have the roof now and would welcome more indoor clay events but I really do hope that RG remains an outdoor event first and foremost in the future.

Congrats to all the active Rafa supporters and it's nice to see some other old timers coming out of the woodwork too. :D
Haven't seen you posted for a while. :giggle:

·
Registered
24,774 Posts
That's why the matches between Big3 themselves is so vital.
yes, i want him to get to face Roger in 2021 and got some win, I missed the good head to head.......

Reactions: pururin

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
It is interesting to see old Rafa's fans crawling back from under their rock where they've been hiding for years, now that Rafa finally managed to win big against Novak.
Yes, I admit, Rafa won big.
But, the fact is that after years of watching Novak beating Rafa, let's just say that since 2013 Rafa did not take a set from Novak on hard courts, it is understandable why they were hiding under the rock for such a long time.

Rafa until semi-final did not see a player ranked below seventy, and then got Diego who was barely walking after marathon with Thiem.
Novak had to deal with Khachanov, Careno Busta and Tsitsipas and he was physically and emotionally spent entering the final.

Novak had no legs to play long rallies and that's why he tried to shorten the points, and that never worked against Nadal.

Let's see what happens next, but somehow it feels like this was Novak's one bad day at an inopportune time, and that crawling back under the rock is in short order.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
It is interesting to see old Rafa's fans crawling back from under their rock where they've been hiding for years...
"Joined 26 d ago"

Besides writing an absolute mess of a post, it's striking that this person manages to hold forth on who is hiding for years on MTF after only 26 days on here.

Yea, just as unconvincing as the other 'arguments' and attempted justifications for the beat down of Novak.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
It is interesting to see old Rafa's fans crawling back from under their rock where they've been hiding for years, now that Rafa finally managed to win big against Novak.
Posts like yours are why I gave up posting full time. I got to the point where I’d rather just enjoy watching tennis rather than constantly argue with MTF trolls. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
"Joined 26 d ago"

Besides writing an absolute mess of a post, it's striking that this person manages to hold forth on who is hiding for years on MTF after only 26 days on here.

Yea, just as unconvincing as the other 'arguments' and attempted justifications for the beat down of Novak.
I admit that my post may appear messy to intellectually inferior individuals.

I will keep it simple for you:
1. Several Rafa's fans have not been seen around here for years.
2. It is understandable, since Rafa was regularly beaten by Novak since 2013, here and there managing to get a win on clay.
3. Rafa deservedly won, but was extremely lucky with the draw.
4. Novak had much harder path to final.
5. it feels like one bad day at work for Novak, not ultimate destruction, as it is mostly portrayed around here.
6. Now that hard court season is back, I expect Novak to continue with his business of beating Rafa.

There, if you do not understand it now, I cannot help you, ask someone else.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Posts like yours are why I gave up posting full time. I got to the point where I’d rather just enjoy watching tennis rather than constantly argue with MTF trolls. :rolleyes:
No, you did not give up posting because of the posts like mine.

You gave up posting because it became obvious that Rafa cannot compete against Novak on any other surface but clay, and even on clay Novak would beat Rafa quite often.

On the other hand, on hard court Rafa did not take a set from Novak since 2013. That hurts, and that's why you do not post. Leave me out of it.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts

You gave up posting because it became obvious that Rafa cannot compete against Novak on any other surface but clay, and even on clay Novak would beat Rafa quite often.

On the other hand, on hard court Rafa did not take a set from Novak since 2013. That hurts, and that's why you do not post. Leave me out of it.
The scene from Dumb and Dumber where one of them bets the other that he can get him gambling by the end of the day comes to mind.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Keep Crying 😂

Reactions: Mimi and El_Toro

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
srk9425, I am not crying, where did you get the idea?

I congratulated Rafa on a big win, one that I did not see coming so easily. Wins that lately come so rarely for Rafa against Novak.
One cannot expect to win every match in tennis.
Those of us who play tennis and whose sons play tennis, we know that very well.
Novak came close this year, though, 37-2 (or should I say 37-1).

I just reminded everyone here that, after US Open 2013, it is 14-5 Novak.
9-0 Novak on hard courts, without losing a set.
In a big scheme of things, it is still Novak wiping the floor with Rafa and Roger.
No, I am not crying. Not yet, at least. But, one more loss like this and I might shed a tear.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Okay Thanks For Congratulations
And Wiping The Floor Yes Both Are Doing It On Their Surfaces Novak On Hard And Rafa On Clay
Nadal Is Also 4-0 Since Rome 2016 And Also Gave Bagels In Two Of The Meetings To Your Player

Reactions: Mimi and El_Toro

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
True.

It is also true that bagels came after Novak having much harder path to finals.
It is hard to play Rafa on clay as it is, and impossible when your legs are heavy.

·
Registered
430 Posts

I congratulated Rafa on a big win, one that I did not see coming so easily. Wins that lately come so rarely for Rafa against Novak.

In a big scheme of things, it is still Novak wiping the floor with Rafa and Roger.
No, I am not crying. Not yet, at least. But, one more loss like this and I might shed a tear.
As my esteemed comrade tribalfusion already observed, you are one of the banned Tards who joined in expectation of a Nole victory so that you could mock Rafans. The fact is that Novak spent only 80 odd minutes on court more than Rafa. If you say that he was exhausted because of this, then you will have to be really concerned because he is done winning slams if he gets exhausted so easily. What do you think would be the outcome if Rafa had Novak's draw? My guess is Rafa-Khachanov 6-3, 7-5, 6-3, Rafa-Busta 6-2, 6-1, 6-2, Rafa-Tsitsipas 6-3, 6-4,7-5! Talking about getting exhausted by these opponents 😂!

In fact, Novak has been quite lucky with his draws in all the 5 slams he won in the past 2 years. In spite of that, he had 5 setters in 3 of them that could have gone the other way easily. He is not getting any younger, and the law of averages will eventually catch up. So, rather than concerning yourself with Rafa's 5-14 record since '13, you should worry about Novak's diminishing prospects.

·
Registered
430 Posts
True.

It is also true that bagels came after Novak having much harder path to finals.
It is hard to play Rafa on clay as it is, and impossible when your legs are heavy.
In FO '18, Rafa faced the same opponents in the QF-SF as Novak did in Rome last year. Remember the finals scoreline in both the tournaments? If Novak gets tired by these opponents, it's because he is not good enough to clinically defeat them.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
El-Toro,

It was match against Tsitsipas that was costly to Novak. Those two inches on a match point cost Novak almost two extra hours of play.
On the other hand, Rafa had a walk in the park. That made all the difference, in my humble opinion.

Fifty two UEs are more points gifted to Rafa than what Rafa won in the match.

Anyway, I did not want to take anything from Rafa's win.
I congratulated Rafa and his fans on a well played match and deserved win.

All I wanted to tell to Rafans is to slow down with GOAT coronation.
Novak and Rafa are still playing.

And I was never banned. I am truly 26 days member.
I read all the posts and realized that some Rafans are showing up after a long absence and I gave my two cents about that. That's all.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
You can't be "bad day in office" in the most important match of your life. Sure, Djokovic maybe had bad day against Tsitsipas, but it's nearly impossible to have two consecutive "bad days" in one tournament.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
El-Toro,

It was match against Tsitsipas that was costly to Novak. Those two inches on a match point cost Novak almost two extra hours of play.
On the other hand, Rafa had a walk in the park. That made all the difference, in my humble opinion.

I read all the posts and realized that some Rafans are showing up after a long absence and I gave my two cents about that. That's all.
The T

The Thiem/Gaston match really messed everything up nearing the end of tourn. resulting in a fresher Nadal in final but Novak should not b excused for his lack of preparation & effort either. Fortunately, he defended his points from FO19 & is still in contention for tying or exceeding some of Fed’s records which should now b his focus.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
You can't be "bad day in office" in the most important match of your life. Sure, Djokovic maybe had bad day against Tsitsipas, but it's nearly impossible to have two consecutive "bad days" in one tournament.
I play tennis, and my two sons play tennis, and I assure you that bad days come, and they come sometimes with a reason and sometimes they come out of nowhere.
Simply, there are days when you miss everything.
And there are days when you cannot miss, if you would throw a chair over the net, it would fall on the line.

Novak's legs were heavy. He was late on the ball and that's why he made fifty two unforced errors.
Not to mentioned that Rafa played out of his mind.

Novak won Cincinnati, played US Open, flew over Atlantic, changed time zone, won Rome, got to RG final after long match with Tsitsipas and then got to play Rafa.
That was simply too much. That's what made the difference.

Rafa, on the other hand, for six months was only preparing to play RG. Rome was only prep for Rafa, I even think that he did not want to put his 100% there.
Which is, pretty much, what Rafa does for a decade now.
Perpetually injured, miraculously gets healthy for the clay season, when all injuries go to a deserved vacation, and come back after RG.

Novak's priority now is to beat 310 weeks as number one and that's why he played so many tournaments.
Novak also wants to end year as number one.
Those are important records.

Rafans and Fedbots are sticking to 20 GS record as a drunkard to the fence, because that's pretty much the only record left that creates illusion of GOATness, while Novak is systematically breaking record after record. Grand slams are on Novak's priority list next year. This year it was number of weeks as number one and that record will be broken in March 2021, almost certainly.

·
Registered
430 Posts
El-Toro,

Rafa played 3 hrs and 9 minutes vs Diego in the SF. Novak played 3 hrs and 54 minutes against Stefanos. Are you suggesting that an extra 45 minutes of play gassed out the guy who has been the most match fit player on tour this year?

This is the most hilarious excuse on MTF 😂😂😂. Old man played 3 hrs vs Rafa at Wimbledon last year and took Novak the distance two days later, the match lasting nearly 5 hours. Rafa played a gruelling 4.74 hr QF vs Delpo at WB '18 and yet was the better player off the ground vs Novak two days later. Yeah sure, dainty and delicate Novak was spent because he botched a MP vs an injured Stefanos and played an extra 45 minutes 🤣😂

Please stop posting nonsense here.

661 - 680 of 769 Posts