Mens Tennis Forums banner

621 - 640 of 770 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
With this destruction, one thing comes to mind. Last few years Noletards were bitching and complaining about the draws and getting Thiem in Noles half.
I think now like i did at the time Nole was lucky he didnt face Rafa. Because in yesterdays condition he did what he did. Anyone else think he wouldnt destroy Nole last 2 years maybe 3 had he beat Cecchinatto?

Lets face it noletards. While he is the most well rounder player in all surfaces. He is still behind RAFA in RG. Period.
Winning his 13th is somethine few people alive have ever seen in tennis. But winning RG at 34 without droping a set is truly out of this world. Had he not done it for the 4th time.
Alot of players didnt come here. Some were in bad shape or form. And you have to add everthing.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I love how you just dismiss the huge implications of this match....if Djokivic is 3-4 slams short of Nadal when its all said and done....then no one will consider him the GOAT...also don't discount that Nadal has a VERY good chance to add 2-3 more slams....Nadal is cemented to the list of most dominant championship runs in sports history....Djokivic isn't even on the ballot
Haha yes where is the logical?
Does nd have 24 GS now?
No
That must be a clown

·
justice for all
15,238 Posts
Djokovic wasn't fatigued and was fine physically as he himself mentioned more than once. He was outplayed. Nadal and Djokovic were on court similar amounts of time. Hard to argue fatigue would somehow cause you to go down 6-0, 6-2 right away before you even have a chance to get tired.
This. I'd also add Djokovic looked best in the 3rd set (lost 5-7) when the alleged "fatigue" should be the biggest.
He was just outplayed by Rafael playing great tennis fit to the occasion.

I think it's also worth mentioning Djokovic wasn't even playing bad in sets 1 & 2. One thing he failed at was his tactics. Going for numerous drop shots so early in the match was really inept. Rafa just ate them alive. And once he built the advantage and derailed Djokovic mentally by the middle of the 2nd set it was practically game over for him.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
This. I'd also add Djokovic looked best in the 3rd set (lost 5-7) when the alleged "fatigue" should be the biggest.
He was just outplayed by Rafael playing great tennis fit to the occasion..
Nah, he just got into it a bit when Nadal started choking in the third. With hindsight it looks like the two extra sets against Tsitsipas had a big effect. All those UEs were a sign of physical and mental fatigue. It's going to be difficult from now on as opponents will not have the same fear of him as before.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,570 Posts
@Justiciar , I am similar to you in that I have been a lurker for a couple of years and only recently joined because of all the Rafa bashing that goes on here. In my first month as a member, I wasted time and energy arguing with those Noletards Bhdtl, DjokoKing, INJF, bbcbbc but was only fanning the embers. Very quickly, I was reminded of the wise saying "Never argue with a fool - They will drag you down to their level, Then beat you with experience!!"

I have so much wanted to call out Emotion, Tennis C King, Djoker, but what's really the point? They are not going to change, and their bashing and hatred towards Rafa is only reflective of their miserable lives.

Let's move on. It's good to have you here. I like your balanced opinion of players.
yeah pretty much you have to ignore trolls and some haters. We do sanction the most extreme cases. Sometimes you just need a light head. emotion also hates my favourite player Nishikori with a huge passion, perhaps nearly on par with Nadal but I've never let it discolour my senses so much the guy still respects me as a poster despite me being a fan of a guy he despises.

·
Banned
11,000 Posts
yeah pretty much you have to ignore trolls and some haters. We do sanction the most extreme cases. Sometimes you just need a light head. emotion also hates my favourite player Nishikori with a huge passion, perhaps nearly on par with Nadal but I've never let it discolour my senses so much the guy still respects me as a poster despite me being a fan of a guy he despises.
Yo, can you please ban me?

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Really? Why is that? They didn't get along or Djokovic wanted to keep the team at a certain size or something? Doesn't come off as a good move, replacing such a meticulous and data driven strategist with this:

They did not get along, Shaughnessy left.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
What can I say that hasn't been said in 30 pages?!...Nothing, really...

Well, maybe I have something...I haven't heard anyone mention that Rafa broke the match wide open with his FHDTL in the opening set. This was crucial to the eventual win. Whenever Rafa beats Novak the aforementioned shot is usually firing. In addition, he seemed much more alert than normal. I think that explains why the drop-shots didn't fool him. He was ready and waiting.

On to the serve...Rafa's serve is very deceptive. What he lacks in speed he makes up for with placement. The lay-off seems to have done wonders for him, as his tennis IQ was spectacular, and his movement was stellar, probably the best I have seen in a number of years. Similarly, this was the first time (in forever) I have seen Rafa act like he is going to win from the first ball. It's one thing to win because of your raw talent, and another to win because of your overt supreme confidence. Post 2014, this important element has been missing from Rafa's matches with Novak. It is a pleasure to see it has returned.

Interestingly, it would appear he is pulling away from Djoker on clay as he has won the last 4 matches in convincing fashion. This is can only help as he attempts to carry that confidence over to other surfaces, considering, all things run through clay for Rafa. Success on that surface means more than likely a run at another slam is in the works.

Lastly, it is worth noting that each member of the Big 3 has been pummeled in a slam final. With saying that, Novak should be fine in 2021. He is extremely talented, and he can rest easy knowing he didn't actually play badly, he simply was forced to red-line (and red-lining is high risk so errors are bound to flow) to compete with Rafa playing at his near best. No one wants to be thrashed in a slam final, so I am sure he isn't jumping for joy, but the AO is right around the corner. Hang tight Novak fans, your boy will surely rise again :)

P.s. - To all the Rafa fans out there....Woooooooot. Our boy did it! I share in the excitement you guys expressed!. He's officially tied with Federer @ 20 apiece! Simply Incredible! 2021 can't come soon enough! Vamos Rafa!
Ofc Rafa fans like me are expecting Rafa's yearly AO spanking every year, so we're not deluded. :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congratulations Rafa on your 13th Roland Garros. This is the greatest record in tennis history. This will be the hardest record for anyone to beat of all of the tennis records. One of the greatest records in sports history.

Amazing to see that Rafa has tied Federer’s grand slam record. He did it despite having only 1 slam per year on his favourite surface to count on whereas other players have 3 slams per year on fast surfaces to increase their slam count. Rafa also took the least amount of slams entered to get to 20 slams.
yes without a doubt. until last year nadal tied with navratilova for most titles (12) won in a single tournament. today he stands alone with 13, and he did it in a slam tournament, is just insane.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
yes without a doubt. until last year nadal tied with navratilova for most titles (12) won in a single tournament. today he stands alone with 13, and he did it in a slam tournament, is just insane.
That Nav stat is for a 3 setter, in Chicago, so it shouldn't be part of slams for men stats. But I guess if you say most titles at any single tournament, well OK...

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
but I've never let it discolour my senses so much the guy still respects me as a poster despite me being a fan of a guy he despises.
This is mostly what counts here in GM.
And we had several trolls who didn't behave like that, just for the record. Many were banned, some like Bakano/Spinn69 are still around.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Great match by Nadal- there was definitely no "lucky" in No. 13. Like he has all tournament long and in Rome, Djokovic clung to his obsession with dropshitting. He can get away with it against lessor players, but not a good tactic against top players like Nadal (where he lost more points than he won with it). If it was anybody else in the Final, Djokovic probably would have won, but as we've come to expect, Nadal was just too good on the clay.

Thankful as well that the match was played under the roof because when the sun is out at that time, it's near unwatchable on TV with both the glare and shadow. Lack of wind also makes for a much better showcase as the players can play at their best. Speaking of wind, unfortunate the roof wasn't in place last year as I'm thinking they would have closed it for 30-40 mph winds. Even with those horrendous conditions, 37 y.o. Federer won more games against Nadal last year than Djokovic won against Nadal this year.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If you think winning slam without dropping set at age of 34 is impressive, look no further than Wimbledon 2017. Federer was almost 36 when he won it without dropping set. Now THAT is impressive!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
As the tournament wore on it became increasingly obvious that Nadal was best placed to win this - regardless the conditions in Autumn in Paris. Djokovic's quarter and semi final indicated he was not at his best; as well, this is his worst surface. So, yeah...expected, though the score was more one-sided than I imagined.

As a Federer fan since forever it has always seemed like Nadal was there, chasing Federer and then waiting to overtake him in his achievements if he could remain fit.

After really not digging Nadal for many years - the slow play, the grunting, the tics, the mental hold he had over Federer - my position on that has softened, especially after AO 2017, when I truly felt the emotion and joy of watching two great players who had been pretty much written off as past their best go at it and produce such thrilling drama.

Since then, I I have respected Nadal's play, fight, mental fortitude, the forehand which when it's on is exhilarating. A great competitor and you can't fault his win here, nor his astounding record on clay. It beggars belief. He deserves to be currently tied with Federer and is now very likely to go past him next year in slams. Well done and fair play to him.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
no one was actually thinking diego gonna beat rafa, he was basically spent after that much clay tennis in mere weeks. the shitshow actually was how many breaks they traded and the amount of errors rafa hit, it was 34. compare that to 14 today (with only 2 UE in entire first set) and how well he defended while hitting 31 winners, that was miles above anything he showed against diego.
Again, Diego wasn't as bad as people make it. Perhaps, not as fiery as in Rome, or at parts against Thiem, but he was still solid. The quality of points he and Nadal played was pretty high overall. He dictated many (but not enough) rallies. He just couldn't overcome Nadal's serve and forehand, both of which were clicking. And that despite he returned better than Djokovic did yesterday, btw. Another area where he succeeded more than Novak was drawing BH errors. Rafa plugged that hole nicely, as I said earlier. And finally, more often then not, Djokovic made an error before Nadal got a chance to do it. He blew an incredible number of short points both on serve and on return, something that should never happen in this matchup. Meetings where this did happened could probably be counted on one hand. And he blew many pressure points as well.

So I really don't understand people (Djokovic included) acting as if "this" Nadal appeared miraculously out of the blue. There was a noticeable shift in his level during the QF already; he got even better in the SF; and assuming further improvement for the final was nothing but logical.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Shaughnessy left because of Ivanisevic
Wut? That's crazy. Why can't all these seemingly adult people get along?
Don't get me wrong. Botovic is not a poor bet at this stage of the career, but I've always considered Shaughnessy's contributions as one of the keys to DJ's post 2017 success.
Just another weird choice, tbh.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Wut? That's crazy. Why can't all these seemingly adult people get along?
Don't get me wrong. Botovic is not a poor bet at this stage of the career, but I've always considered Shaughnessy's contributions as one of the keys to DJ's post 2017 success.
Just another weird choice, tbh.
get it through google translate. apparently ivanisevic 'does not believe in analytics'.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
get it through google translate. apparently ivanisevic 'does not believe in analytics'.
I mean... you have to take what journos write with a grain of salt. This could easily be fake af. But I wouldn't be surprised if he actually said that. He's an iconic character in tennis history, undoubtedly. He's also a fairly bit cray cray.

621 - 640 of 770 Posts