Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 749 Posts

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Slam #20 in a glorious display of GOATness.

34-year old Nadal somehow summoning peak form, or a form previously never even considered, to destroy the 37-0 #1 Djokovic to the tune of 6-0 6-2 7-5.

These are things you normally don't witness in a lifetime, and we are lucky enough to be tennis fans to be watchers of the sport where one man, the greatest of them all; is capable of such level.

Djokovic played aggressively great, and was forced to literally clobber line after line and perfectly dead drop shots to get the few games he got, against an opponent capable of perfection offense and defense:

completely ownership of baseline strokes, returns, attack and spin/whip (FH DTL, FH's into a corner, off-FH's run-around, BH's CC, heavy BH counters, etc.), consistent depth, angles to pull the other wide, on the run / stretch defense (repeated retrieval of hard-hitting penetrating shots, sliding at max), changes of pace/spin/height, uncomfortable slices, lobs, volleys (BH volley/stop at 5-2 2S), drop shots.

3 UE's through 2 sets in what was the hardest and fastest hit match of the tournament, a grand slam final against peak Djokovic.

3 UEs through 100 points of the highest level / pace, with Djokovic hitting as hard as he can.

He wasn't even allowing FE's, he made Djokovic hit several winner-esque shots.

Becker explaining the events of the match:

"Nadal playing in a different world, that only he knows" -Becker 2S 15-30

"Extremely risky played this forehand, but it's because of Nadal, he gets to every ball and plays it back with much topspin -- he's at the limit(Djokovic)" -Becker, 2S

„If you hadn’t seen these first games you’d think Djokovic is injured or not trying, no no, it’s because of Nadal. Just thought if I’ve ever seen him this good… against Djokovic, phenomenal“ -Becker, 2S 4-1

„Boris, Djokovic cannot play better, it’s not possible!“ Stach, 3S 2-1 30-30. Becker agrees.

„I have never seen Djokovic have to run such long paths on a tennis court“ Becker, 3S 1-2 15-30

„Dear Tennis friends, I’m just gonna say this, we are seing one of the best Roland Garros finals of all time, by level“ -Stach
„Absolutely“ -Becker
„And down left, I cannot believe what it says, but it stands there (scoreline)“ -Stach

63% of points won by Djokovic were winners.

25/28 W/UE 2nd set ratio by Djokovic against a peak UE-less Nadal asking for only the hardest and deepest of shots to be hit, and people think Djokovic was subpar or not at peak form. Crazy how ignorant people can be.

Only Djokovic's serve peaking denied a 6-0 6-2 6-4 line.

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
World record essay production speed from the OP.

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
One of the worst matches of Djokovic's career. Just beyond terrible tennis from him, what a letdown.

Probably moves Nadal back ahead of Djokovic in the GOAT race. He's still clearly behind Federer for now though given weeks at 1/YEC, but I doubt for long.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Ridiculous tbf

1 - 20 of 749 Posts