Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He got through a 5 set match against Alex Bolt. I didn't see the match as the AO time zone isn't great for me at all! I'm sure the Aussie crowd was helping Bolt, but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
his results at the start of the season at the inaugural ATP Cup were slightly disappointing
lost to Coric: 67 62 36 Coric did play very well and it was a very close match, so no biggie
def Schwartzman 63 76 i think he played quite well in this one
lost to Hurkacz: 63 46 67 did not see this one, but Hurkacz played apparently very well in this tourney

all in all quite a pity bc if he had won 1 of those close matches Austria would have made the quarterfinals

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
after his 5 setter against Bolt (which was not as close as the result suggests, i never really had the feeling that he could loose this match..) and the 4 setter against Fritz, he went on to defeat Gael Monfils in straights: 62 64 64
for some reason La Monf cannot touch Domi, it is extremely lopsided h2h, Domi leads 6:0 now, 14:2 in sets, and Domi won the last 11 sets they played.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
he then beat alltime great and Nr 1 in the world, Rafa Nadal: 76 76 46 76
his first slam win against Nadal, and this brought his h2h against the Big 3 to an impressive 14:17, with many of the losses coming from earlier stages of his career
it was also the best match he played in this tournament, and i am pretty confident if he brought this performance to the final he would have clinched his maiden slam..

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
he then beat his buddy Sasha Zverev 36 64 76 76
Zverev was serving extremely well, but Domi, despite a slight drop from the previous round, was just too much, too clutch..
post match joint press conference

;)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
unfortunately, he lost his maiden AO final against the King of Australia, Novak Djokovic 46 64 62 36 46
Djokovic was not at his best and was there for the taking, but Domi was a bit flat especially in the last two sets, no wonder after the grueling previous two rounds and 24h less rest than Novak
the silver lining may by that he lost his 1st slam final in 3, his 2nd in 4, his 3rd in 5, so the next logical step would be to win his next slam final in 5 sets.. French Open, here we come! and if you would have told me before that he would reach the AO final, beating 3 top ten players in a row, i would have taken it! ;)

onto the next!

Reactions: zebez20

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
he skipped the Argentina Open in Buenos Aires

he beat 168 in the world Felipe Alves 62 46 61 in the 1st round of Rio (which is the most vulturable 500 tournament on the tour right now, beating Hamburg by far)
he then beat Munar: 67 63 64 he played badly in the 1st set, worst i have seen him all year, but started clicking at after being broken early in the 2nd set, and played pretty well afterwards. credit to Munar, who played maybe the best match of his career, defending superbly and frustrating the hell out of Domi with great dropshots

now in the QF and SF he will play players outside the top 100, so anything less than a tournament win here would be a massive letdown

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Loses today at RG in 5 sets to Diego; overall I'm happy at the fight he showed. These conditions are not ideal for him (slow & low bouncing) he'll have a much better chance in the summer. Fair play to Diego these conditions really help his game & it was a great match.

I'm excited about the rest of the season; he's got his grand slam he can now play freely!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts