Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IF Healthy:

Abu Dhabi (exho) - Lost to Anderson and then withdrew from 3rd place playoff

Brisbane 250 - (0 points) Withdrew after the draw and prior to first match 2nd round vs. Tsonga (LL Taro Daniel replaced Nadal)

Sydney (exho)

Australian Open

Acapulco 500

Indian Wells Masters

Miami Masters

Monte Carlo Masters

Barcelona 500

Madrid Masters

Rome Masters

Roland Garros

Wimbledon

Montreal Masters

Cincinnati Masters

US Open

Laver Cup (major announcement?)

Shanghai Masters

Paris Masters

ATP Tour Finals (if he qualifies)

Davis Cup finals

Hopefully,
masterclass

·
|
14,305 Posts
Damn, Nadal is really addicted to hardcourts!
Major announcement at Laver Cup = Nadal playing 2020 Olympics (not that its major, we already assumed that)
I'm thinking he's got about 3 more French Open titles left in him, and now we have to factor in Wimbledon because he almost won it this year, so lets say another Wimbledon title.
And we know he cares about the AO more than any other title, so he'll win that again (this year he said if he could only play one more event it'd be the AO).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Isn't that list of tournaments won if he is healthy?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Basically he is down to play the full schedule. Nadal really needs to play a reduced schedule than that, for his own longevity. He should play the following

Brisbane
Australian open
either IW or Miami
Monte Carlo
Barcelona
Rome
French open
Wimbledon
Toronto
US open
Shanghai
WTF

·
|
14,305 Posts
His longevity may suffer, but I guess longevity doesn't matter if he wins 2 slams next year - and that is very possible because this year he won Roland Garros and very nearly Wimbledon.
Then again, he didn't play Indian Wells/Miami this year.

I love the fact that he's again choosing not to play grass events before Wimbledon, its very wise because getting a decent rest just after Roland Garros is a lot more valuable than playing Halle/Queens.
And if he plays Halle/Queens it may hurt his confidence (if he loses badly).

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Not looking past Abu Dhabi

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have said it alot but because of his playing style and age and all of his tennis miles on his knees he really shouldn't be playing the Sunshine double and not the north american double after wimby.

Just play one of them and alternate between playing hrme each year, like play indian wells this year and miami next year, but playing thr SD and then a gruelling clay season is not a good idea for Rafa

·
Registered
236 Posts
Poor guy never learns. This is a horrible decision for a schedule. Realistically the FO is his only shot at another major title, and he's got at the most two of those left. This should be his schedule:

Australian Open
Indian Wells
Monte Carlo
Madrid
Rome
French Open
Wimbledon
Canadian Open
US Open
Shanghai
Paris
Tennis Masters Cup (If he qualifies)

·
Registered
236 Posts
THREE TOURNAMENTS BEFORE THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TWO OF THEM EXOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUPIDO!!!!!!! I'll be very surprised if Nadal even makes it to Melbourne healthy enough to compete at the first major of the year. He had SURGERY six weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!

·
|
14,305 Posts
Its funny to see people lecture Nadal on scheduling, when he finished #1 in 2017 and very nearly 2018 too (just that Wimbledon SF prevented it).
In 2017 Nadal became the oldest ever year-end-#1, despite it being assumed that he wouldn't even be playing tennis by age 30.

Nadal is making the right scheduling decisions.
He's playing virtually a full schedule each year and he's getting rest when his tendinitis flares up.
It allows him to continue winning slams....while also being ranked #1.

THREE TOURNAMENTS BEFORE THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TWO OF THEM EXOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUPIDO!!!!!!! I'll be very surprised if Nadal even makes it to Melbourne healthy enough to compete at the first major of the year. He had SURGERY six weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!
That shows you how great his surgery went and how healthy he feels overall.

Poor guy never learns. This is a horrible decision for a schedule. Realistically the FO is his only shot at another major title, and he's got at the most two of those left. This should be his schedule:

Australian Open
Indian Wells
Monte Carlo
Madrid
Rome
French Open
Wimbledon
Canadian Open
US Open
Shanghai
Paris
Tennis Masters Cup (If he qualifies)
Actually, Nadal was a whisker away from playing Anderson in the Wimbledon Final this year.
Wimbledon has been Nadal's worst slam by far since 2012.
He also made the US Open SF, and lost to Cilic in AO quarter-final after Nadal led 2 sets to 1.
He keeps knocking on the door at each slam, unlike Zverev and Federer :lol:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Its funny to see people lecture Nadal on scheduling, when he finished #1 in 2017 and very nearly 2018 too (just that Wimbledon SF prevented it).
In 2017 Nadal became the oldest ever year-end-#1, despite it being assumed that he wouldn't even be playing tennis by age 30.

Nadal is making the right scheduling decisions.
He's playing virtually a full schedule each year and he's getting rest when his tendinitis flares up.
It allows him to continue winning slams....while also being ranked #1.

That shows you how great his surgery went and how healthy he feels overall.

Actually, Nadal was a whisker away from playing Anderson in the Wimbledon Final this year.
Wimbledon has been Nadal's worst slam by far since 2012.
He also made the US Open SF, and lost to Cilic in AO quarter-final after Nadal led 2 sets to 1.
He keeps knocking on the door at each slam, unlike Zverev and Federer :lol:
I think your clock, calendar and internet are all broken :spit:

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
This year will be a battle between Fed, Djoker and Zverev
Nope. Rafa will be there too. Murray, I hope so ... Both Nadal and Murray are working really hard to get back.

Zverev, Thiem, Katchanov etc. need to do something big at majors. Well, Zverev is cute :lol: ... that's what some people here are looking for. Yeah, funny sh!t. If he got rid of his golden chains I might even like him.

Djokovic and Fed are well. Thank God. So, it should be interesting.

Nadal's schedule is fine. He knows better than us. If he can't do something he is not going to do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
His schedule is fine because he's using smaller tournaments as training grounds.

Plus, if he wins a lot (or overplays), he can always cancel something that follows, like he cancelled Cincy after winning Canada. (Outside of clay, of course.)

In the end, his problem is not playing too many tournaments; it's playing too many sets, and that eventually wears him down for the later stages.

·
justice for all
13,139 Posts
Wafa's today's schedule has got nothing to do with reality. Come March he'll skip the Sunshine Double again to save himself for the clay season. That's his only chance to win another slam. But he'll get stopped there by Dominator and will be done for good.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Once again, for me, like as said on the previous thread, the perfect schedule will be: AO, IW, Monaco, Barcelona, Madrid, Roma, FO, Toronto, USO, Basel and London. Like he will come back of injury, Brisbane is ok. But for me, the grass period is the turning point of his season. He is still tired after his clay season and he has to play matches with low bounce so he contract knees’pain. Acapulco and Shanghai are useless for me. Miami is not necessary too close on clay. Toronto is ok, Cincinnati not necessary for playing a lot on hard. Basel to train on indoor and look different adjustments, train two weeks and go to London.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts