Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which generation will win the tournament?

• #NextGen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #LostGen

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • #GoldenGen

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • #NewBallsGen

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Obviously, Tommy Haas/Larry Ellison are already regretting putting Roger in Nadal's half, but how could they know No1e would show up to the battlefield unprepared and leave a teenage Lucky Loser to hold up the Serbian sword? Oh well, it is what it is.

So how does everyone think it will play out from here? The Quarterfinal matches are set. 2 unseeded NextGen players remain, 1 in each half to face the draw generator Kings.

Top Half

[18]Gael Monfils(FRA -1986) vs. [7]Dominic Thiem(AUT - 1993) {7 year generation gap - #GoldenGen vs. #LostGen}
[13]Milos Raonic(CAN -1990) vs. LL [130]Miomir Kecmanovic(SRB - 1999) {9 year generation gap - #LostGen vs. #NextGen}

Bottom Half

[67]Hubie Hurkacz(POL - 1997) vs. [4]Roger Federer(SUI -1981) {16 year triple generation gap} - #NewBallsGen vs. #NextGen
[12]Karen Khachanov(RUS - 1996) vs. [2]Rafael Nadal(ESP - 1986) {10 year double generation gap} #NextGen vs. #GoldenGen

So, we have at least one representative from each so-called "Generation" remaining:

3 - #NextGen

2 - #LostGen

2 - #GoldenGen

1 - #NewBallsGen

?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
New balls please.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Players listed by best chance of winning, inferred from the betfair betting market:

1) Federer (projected at 35 % chance of winning)

2) Nadal (projected at 34 % chance of winning)

3) Raonic

4) Thiem

5) Monfils

6) Khachanov

7) Hurkacz

8) Kecmanovic

The thread mentioned players by generation (age), so I guess we can list the players from oldest to youngest:

1) Federer

2) Nadal

3) Monfils

4) Raonic

5) Thiem

6) Khachanov

7) Hurkacz

8) Kecmanovic

Apart from Monfils, that is ranked two steps too low in the first list, surprisingly the order of favorites come in the same order as their age. Could it be that the betting market is populated by old folks thinking everything (including ATP-players) was better before? Maybe the youngest dude - Kecmanovic - prove everyone wrong (me included), and turns out to be the guy stepping up for the next gen. However, if I should have a say myself, I guess I have to vote for the "Golden gen". While Monfils has a rather poor finals record, he has looked the best on the upper half of the draw. On the lower half, I guess Nadal and Federer can be considered as joint favorites. Overall, this means that my vote goes to "Golden gen".

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Probably for the first time ever I'm actually hoping that Nadal wins a tennis match. And that the botting Pole doesn't get in the way.

Bizarrely, I just don't think Nadal has the weapons to defeat Federer. Which makes the match up issues at their peak even more head-scratching.

I worry Fed could get caught in the final though, 3 days in a row and against a peaking Monfils probably.

Edit: there are actually 5 generations of course. Fed Gen preceded the others.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Anyone but Botnic.

·
|
14,298 Posts
New balls are hopeless vs Rafa :D
Federer is the only player with a legit chance vs Rafa.
And of course its a lot more than simply a legit chance.
Based on their recent h2h Federer is the huge favorite to beat Rafa.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If Fed spanks Nadal again, his chances in the final are slim. If Lamonf makes the final, the matchup isn't particularly what Fed wants at this time in his career. And by what i've seen, Gael is running like a bunny, has incredible stamina and might even win vs an exhausted Fed.
Time will tell, bring the Fedal on.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which player in the top half has the best chance of beating either Roger or RAFA should one of them make it to the final?

I'm trying to consider the conditions of course, but I'm still having a tough time deciding.

Normally I would lean toward Thiem, but La Monf is playing very well.

I think RAFA or Roger could handle the Canadian Missile.

I suppose I agree that #GoldenGen is the best bet.

Also, does anyone think it will it matter which match in the bottom half is played first?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
|
14,298 Posts
If Rafa makes the final then there is no point to Monfils being in the final, its like a bye because Monfils plays right into Rafa's hands every time.
But if Federer makes the final them Monfils has a chance and is a worthy opponent :armed:

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[Snip irrelevant text & images...]

Final

[7]Dominic Thiem(AUT - 1993) vs. [4]Roger Federer(SUI -1981) {#LostGen vs. #NewBallsGen - 12 year double generation gap }

1 - #LostGen

1 - #NewBallsGen

Respectfully,
masterclass

Looks like the bookies just love the 12 year older bottle of #NewBalls.

Rog going for a record 6th #IndianWells title! Thiem going for his 1st!

Good luck and health to both young men! ;)

?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
10,281 Posts
Looks like the bookies just love the 12 year older bottle of #NewBalls.

Rog going for a record 6th #IndianWells title! Thiem going for his 1st!

Good luck and health to both young men! ;)

?

Respectfully,
masterclass

May the Best Roger Federer win.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts