Registered
4,581 Posts
R1: Paire
R2: Popyrin/M. Zverev
R3: Pouille/Marterer
R4: Coric/Cecchinato
QF: A. Zverev/Raonic/Wawrinka
SF: Djokovic/Fognini

Very tough draw, basically no easy oppenent except maybe for the third round if Pouille manages to lose early. Paire in R1 particularly is a tough opener, but I already thought of him as a potential threat in 2017 and Domi won quite convincingly.
Second round M. Zverev would be okay, but I'd say Popyrin is more likely to win their first round encounter and he could be annoying with his serve on these courts.
Even think Pouille/Marterer will be easier than him, can't see him losing there tbh. Coric also quite tough, but I always thought of this a a favourable match-up. Speed of the court might evens that out though.

Reaching the QFs would already be a great achievievment ofc., even more with that draw and his Doha/Abu Dhabi performances, but I can't see him beating Raonic/Wawrinka either. Against Zverev I'd fancy his chances, but he'd also be the underdog here.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just never have really felt that Domi has consistently had his hard court game in order. So I'm not expecting too much of him at the AO Slam. I can always hope he will surprise me :)

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It took Domi 5 sets to defeat Paire in his 1st Rd of the AO :facepalm:

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
We really shouldn't be mad it took him five sets to beat Paire, instead we should be really glad he somehow managed to win this despite being completely gassed from set 3 onwards, but at the same time also be slightly worried why he was exhausted after 2 hours of play already

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was unable to see any of the match so all I know is the score. Maybe Domi is ill?

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If he wasn't ill, now he is hurt. I can't find out exactly what is wrong? Popyrin said he noticed the problem with Domi in the 1st set, but didn't say what he thought was wrong. Domi has a racket meltdown down. He retired in the third set when he was two sets and two games down. He was getting defeated, but what could he have expected with a health issue :shrug:

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
He's not injured, he was simply nowhere near fit in this tournament. He said his whole body hurt when waking up on the day of his R2 match which was very visible in the game. He also said his heart was racing after every point against Paire, which is weird because the rallies were nowhere near as intense as he is used to. He had a cold in the pre-season, so he maybe didn't give his body enough time to recover from that and is still suffering from the consequences of playing through it.

But we'll have certainty about what was wrong with him soon, he visited a doctor in his homecountry and is now waiting for the test results

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Apparently he was scheduled to play Cordoba too before he pulled out because of the virus. That's 3 tournaments + DC (different time zone) in 3 weeks :lol:

At least no Acapulco this year, that never made sense.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I missed the match :banghead: But Domi got the win against Marterer in straight sets in Argentina.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I got tickets for tomorrow SFs in Argentina Open :)

Earlier today a said to my friend: I am so nervous for today QFs matches because I really want to see Domi for the first time and Peque again
And he tell me that they are going to play the doubles SF tomorrow :bounce: I forget about the doubles :lol:

so I am going to watch both of them for sure

1 - 20 of 105 Posts