Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my thread was merged, I consulted with the great Arsenalalex who saw the mistake and gave me the go.

The mods are to sticky this. A thread of this nature will now be a part of MTF for every slam going forward. Tradition is happening.

I don't wanna repeat myself too much..

Field is great, super good depth and depth at the top, blah blah blah...

Lets get this Party bumpin' :cheerleader::spit::boxing:

Interested to see how Meddy comes out and how that match unfolds.

Pouille could make the QF lol. That just can't happen.

·
23,064 Posts
Just a great AO. I think I'll rate it 9/10 at the moment, with so many great matches and great storylines. Add to the WTA storyline actually being stable for once AND having the race for World #1 adds to it. 2nd week should hopefully be great because it would be disappointing if we'll have routine matches left.

·
The special one
14,033 Posts
First week has been great, worth all the late nights I've stayed up for. The 2nd week has huge potential to be one of the best 2nd weeks we've seen in a slam, a mixture of old guard, gen useless and next gen all representing and looking to stamp their authority in the future. Interesting times ahead.

My not so bold prediction.

Novak def Medvedev in 4
Kei def PCB in 3
Raonic def Zverev in 5
Coric def Pouille in 3
Federer def Tsitsi in 3
RBA def Cilic in 5
Dimitrov def Tiafoe in 3
Nadal def Berdych in 4

Novak def Kei on 4
Raonic def Coric in 3
Federer def RBA in 3
Nadal def dimitrov in 3

Novak def Raonic in 4
Federer def Nadal in 5

Novak def Federer in 4

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Aside from today, I gotta say AO first week has been decent. It’ll be memorable because of Murray’s retirement announcement and a pretty good way to go out as well. Then RBA had an epic with Millman, Zverev match with Chardy was excellent and Federer/Evans I think is the best straight set match. Raonic/Wawrinka was an epic TBfest. Cilic/Verdasco was tense af. Popyrin is someone new we can take a look on later on

However there has been lack of strong memorable upsets, Anderson is the only big player that really got upset and was a bit surprising. I don’t think we can count the Wawrinka defeat an upset because Raonic won the previous 2 slam matches as well and Thiem being eliminated early in a HC event is as least surprising as it can get. So in that sense it wasn’t as memorable as AO 17 so far, but lack of upsets can really mean a juicy 2nd week with some good big matches. I’m not complaining because last year we had upsets and that ended making the 2nd week really a non-event, especially the SFs.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Can't wait for tonight. Great start to the tennis season so far. Biased as hell but here's hoping Federer lifts the trophy beating Nadal and Djokovic back to back:nerd:

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Biased as hell but here's hoping Federer lifts the trophy beating Nadal and Djokovic back to back:nerd:
In this scenario Federer's victory here is least likely. He's never done it before (beating Djokodal at one slam) and did it only once overall (WTF 2010) so I don't think he could pull this off. His fans should hope that at least one of Djokodal will be gone earlier (preferably both).

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant wait for Rafa/Berdy... shame I'll have to go to sleep before that, so anxious n all.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Aside from today, I gotta say AO first week has been decent. It’ll be memorable because of Murray’s retirement announcement and a pretty good way to go out as well. Then RBA had an epic with Millman, Zverev match with Chardy was excellent and Federer/Evans I think is the best straight set match. Raonic/Wawrinka was an epic TBfest. Cilic/Verdasco was tense af. Popyrin is someone new we can take a look on later on

However there has been lack of strong memorable upsets, Anderson is the only big player that really got upset and was a bit surprising. I don’t think we can count the Wawrinka defeat an upset because Raonic won the previous 2 slam matches as well and Thiem being eliminated early in a HC event is as least surprising as it can get. So in that sense it wasn’t as memorable as AO 17 so far, but lack of upsets can really mean a juicy 2nd week with some good big matches. I’m not complaining because last year we had upsets and that ended making the 2nd week really a non-event, especially the SFs.
Yep, personally prefer to see those with a higher base level come through --> less likely to flop in the later rounds as you noted. No Sandgrens in the mix this time (Chung last year slightly different, since he was also hurt, but would still say he as well benefited from a depleted field). So far so good. As someone above said, players from several generations in decent form. A nice mix.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I concur with the opinion on this thread, for once!!!!
This is a great slam, the best in recent memory--setting up for a thrilling 2nd week.
The Big 3 all intact (most likely) Gen useless still intact and looking not so useless, a few young ones who could be threats, AZ, Med, TSItsi.
Even truer on the women's side, where all the top seeds except Woz came through, and it could be anyone's trophy.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It's Sunday tomorrow, just stay up to watch, then sleep off the whole day :p
Did I screw up my Saturday bcs of that, went fully functional around 5 pm local...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's Sunday tomorrow, just stay up to watch, then sleep off the whole day :p
nahh, would mess with my sleep rhythm which i need for the week, and also gotta do some stuff on tomorrow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No upsets so far. Big 4 ( I include Zerev) haven't really been tested. They seem to all have done enough to win, so the next round will be interesting to judge real form now.
Weather has held up nicely, a few extreme days in the beginning, rest perfect with minimal rain.
I'm getting used to the AO app and site, but both could be a lot better.
Just love the person who is running the AO twitter account.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
In this scenario Federer's victory here is least likely. He's never done it before (beating Djokodal at one slam) and did it only once overall (WTF 2010) so I don't think he could pull this off. His fans should hope that at least one of Djokodal will be gone earlier (preferably both).
Odds are not in his favor no. The funny thing is that these days he has a mental block more against Djokovic than against Nadal. For me Djokovic is the favorite to win this thing right now. That he played poorly doesn't mean that much to me. He raised his level so many times before. Federer I'm happy with but every match can be a complete different story. And with Nadal you just don't know if the body holds up. I don't see a winner outside these three once more. But if that would happen pleas let it be bird.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Nadal's odds have been slashed. Djokovic surprisingly is even stronger according to the bookies but I wouldn't have said he's done anything to improve anyone's opinions. Mind you will find out where his game is in week 2. Fed drops behind Nadal on most sites.

FYI

Djokovic = 10/11
Nadal = 3
Federer 9/2
Zverev = 12

Everyone else is 20+

·
23,064 Posts
Federer is out, as another NextGenner stepped up with Tsitsipas! It seems the ones with not much storyline left is Nadal and maybe Djokovic, although both did have long matches against NextGenners too. I think his game against RBA will be 50:50. A 5 setter maybe?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts