• Casper Ruud
  • Jannik Sinner
  • Mikael Ymer
Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award:
  • Roger Federer
  • Rafael Nadal
  • Diego Schwartzman
  • Dominic Thiem
The Fan's Favourites and Best Tournament awards are not based on nominees.

I've italicized my picks for each category.

Source

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Diego Schwartzman tried to convince the umpire to remove the warning Alex Zverev got in their US open encounter. I would vote for him.

·
9,632 Posts
Murray
Berrettini
SInner
Thiem

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
My picks:
Rublev: Murray playing again was more surprising, but Rublev came back from around 100 to 23.
Medvedev: definitely did not expect him to be the best player of the season after Wimbledon
Sinner: from 551 to 78, and winner of NextGen Finals
Thiem: For how stoically he took Djokovic's behaviour at Roland Garros, given that this factually destroyed his chances of winning his first GS title (and of course for being a nice guy in general).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Not that easy picks all of them, but here we go with who I'd vote for:
  • Andy Murray
  • Daniil Medvedev (Matteo Berrettini as a very close second for me here)
  • Jannik Sinner
  • Dominic Thiem
I'll let my choices speak for themselves without going into any further analysis here.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,338 Posts
Murray will probably get the comeback largely based on profile and public sympathy. Rublev though objectively has the more interesting results and feels more under the radar. Beating Thiem in clay, Tsitsipas, Wawrinka and Federer on hard court is pretty good set of victories after missing a whole season.

Medvedev is most improved. His tournament stats especially during the US hardcourt swing tell it all.

Newcomer is probably Felix. That said Sinner has done a last minute surge much like Gauff on the WTA. Will be interesting to see how it goes. In my view Sinner will surpass Felix later on.

Sportsmanship. This one can get really boring sometimes. Not that Federer isn't good for the sport but the award as I've oft complained about lacks construct validity, not awarding what it is supposed to (or at least the test is flimsy). For this I sincerely hope Dominic Thiem gets it. Tireless ambassador and good spirit for the sport. My favourite personality and gentleman on the ATP. Of course knowing how this award goes they'll give it to Federer for taking 40-15 better than some might think.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Comeback is Murray without a doubt as he was literally about to retire and ended his season winning a title against Wawrinka.
Newcomer goes to Sinner as no one knew who the hell he was at the beginning of the year and he ended up trashing everyone including De Minaur at the next gen finals. His ranking from 551 to 78 I think which is insane.
Improved goes to Medvedev as he went from a decent top 20 player to a top 4 player who took Nadal to 5 sets in a slam final. He’s no.5 now but was no.4 earlier.
Sportsmanship is harder to say. Federer always wins this award but that’s more so due to his popularity than his actual sportsmanship which is good but overrated. I would say Schwartzman as he tried to get the umpire to cancel the code violation given to Zverev and I haven’t seen that before.

·
The special one
14,702 Posts
Tsonga and Rublev have both had impressive comebacks without doubt, but comeback of 2019 has to go to Murray because of the severity of his injury. I wasn't even sure we'd see him play again after AO so to come back and win a title surely must give him the edge here.

Most improved player would be Medvedev for me, the guy started the year outside the top 10 and has finished the year in the top 4 with 2 masters and a slam final. Most people think he'll now challenge for the no1 ranking in the next couple of years.

Newcomer of the year I would go with Sinner.

I'd give sportsmanship of the year to Diego. Hope it's either him or Thiem, but we all know Federer can carry a sack of kittens on court, smash that sack repeatedly with a sledgehammer, then piss on their lifeless bodies once he's finished and he'd still win this award.

·
Registered
17,828 Posts
Wawrinka/Murray

Medvedev (Aliassime took the biggest ranking jump, but Medvedev broke a barrier much more seldomly/historically unlikely broken)

Sinner/Aliassime

Nadal/Thiem

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
i like how people here are against Federer taking Sportsmanship based on how much he won in the past instead of how much the actual sportsmanship he done in 2019. if Federer had 0 Sportsmanship award now, people will overwhelmingly voted for him in 2019.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
40-15rer to vulture another undeserved Sportsmanship award.

Reactions: TheLastJedi

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Tsonga and Rublev have both had impressive comebacks without doubt, but comeback of 2019 has to go to Murray because of the severity of his injury. I wasn't even sure we'd see him play again after AO so to come back and win a title surely must give him the edge here.

Most improved player would be Medvedev for me, the guy started the year outside the top 10 and has finished the year in the top 4 with 2 masters and a slam final. Most people think he'll now challenge for the no1 ranking in the next couple of years.

I'd give sportsmanship of the year to Diego. Hope it's either him or Thiem, but we all know Federer can carry a sack of kittens on court, smash that sack repeatedly with a sledgehammer, then piss on their lifeless bodies once he's finished and he'd still win this award.
Pretty much as Federer’s my favorite player but it’s quite evident he wins the award due to his popularity more so than his sportsmanship. He’s still a good sportsman but definitely not the best out there.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts

We had the same opinions on all the awards lmao

·
Registered
59,363 Posts
FAA getting most improved would be a joke, that's meant for an unexpected improvement, not for a teenager! That's what the newcomer award is for.

Comeback- Honestly all pretty weak. Murray, Wawrinka, Tsonga are shadows of former selves, Rublev still young and coming back from injury. I guess Wawrinka.

Most improved- Medvedev. Really shouldn't be close.

Newcomer- FAA. Another easy one.

Sportsmanship- Thiem. Seems like a genuinely good guy and is very kind to everyone. Federer winning is tiresome, Nadal winning would be a joke. Schwartzman would be good too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts