Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Djokovic-Nadal final is what I feared all along, although I wanted to believe Federer could make it again. But now it's a reality, I feel surprisingly relaxed about it. Novak and Rafa are the right finalists, having easily been the best players in the tournament. This is also what men's tennis needs after several disappointing GS finals.

What surprises me more, however, is that I'm not that worried about the possibility of one or both of them catching or even surpassing Federer's slam count. I'm coming to terms with the likelihood that he won't win any more, while his rivals may remain in contention for a few years.

I also see this as a very fitting final, given the one we had two years ago. Just as that was probably the last between Federer and Nadal, this may be the last between Djokovic and Nadal, although I won't be surprised if they meet again at Roland Garros.

I agree with those who say that whatever happens on Sunday, and whatever Nadal and Djokovic go on to achieve, it won't diminish Federer's greatness, even if he loses some of his records to them. Much as I respect Nadal and Djokovic, Federer is still the best player I have ever seen – but I will miss all three of them when they finally retire.

As for Sunday, may the better man win.

·
justice for all
13,103 Posts
This is also what men's tennis needs after several disappointing GS finals.
I agree with all of your post barring the above line:

1) You cannot be sure the final will deliver. It may turn out a a one-sided affair or of poor quality.
2) I don't think this is what tennis needs. It needs new younger champions rather same old donkeys over and over again

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with all of your post barring the above line:

1) You cannot be sure the final will deliver. It may turn out a a one-sided affair or of poor quality.
2) I don't think this is what tennis needs. It needs new younger champions rather same old donkeys over and over again
1) It might turn out that way, but I'm hoping for an exhausting epic.
2) Yes, new champions are needed, as soon as possible, but the final that we have is an exciting prospect for many tennis fans.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
Fed wasnt convincing at all, he wasn't sharp or close to his 2017-8 performance

I can't say the lose was a shock to me, it was sad but not a shock

If he was sharp and good it would have ended on straight sets but he wasn't
I hope he will win another slam this year but at 37.5 yo it look so far

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fed wasnt convincing at all, he wasn't sharp or close to his 2017-8 performance

I can't say the lose was a shock to me, it was sad but not a shock

If he was sharp and good it would have ended on straight sets but he wasn't
I hope he will win another slam this year but at 37.5 yo it look so far
I'm just hoping this AO will motivate him to raise his game (one last time).

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
A Djokovic-Nadal final is what I feared all along, although I wanted to believe Federer could make it again. But now it's a reality, I feel surprisingly relaxed about it. Novak and Rafa are the right finalists, having easily been the best players in the tournament. This is also what men's tennis needs after several disappointing GS finals.

What surprises me more, however, is that I'm not that worried about the possibility of one or both of them catching or even surpassing Federer's slam count. I'm coming to terms with the likelihood that he won't win any more, while his rivals may remain in contention for a few years.

I also see this as a very fitting final, given the one we had two years ago. Just as that was probably the last between Federer and Nadal, this may be the last between Djokovic and Nadal, although I won't be surprised if they meet again at Roland Garros.

I agree with those who say that whatever happens on Sunday, and whatever Nadal and Djokovic go on to achieve, it won't diminish Federer's greatness, even if he loses some of his records to them. Much as I respect Nadal and Djokovic, Federer is still the best player I have ever seen – but I will miss all three of them when they finally retire.

The problem with fedfanbase is they cant conceive that some other player could be better or do better then Federer. Thats delusional.

I agree that nothing and nobody can diminuish what Federer has done or acomplished in his career and life.

Now if Rafa or Nole or both overtake 20 then its life. The same way Federer overtook Sampras.
Probably will loose the GOAT title but thats out of anyone hands

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
I am euphoric.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Considering reactions to the djokodal final, it can be said Federer fans are without doubt the worst of the lot. Pampered babies who start crying if they are not allowed to have their wish.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
I agree with those who say that whatever happens on Sunday, and whatever Nadal and Djokovic go on to achieve, it won't diminish Federer's greatness, even if he loses some of his records to them. Much as I respect Nadal and Djokovic, Federer is still the best player I have ever seen
He is just the most successful tennis player of all times. Not the best, even his biggest losses to Nadal and Djokovic in slams and Tour finals prove it.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now if Rafa or Nole or both overtake 20 then its life. The same way Federer overtook Sampras.
Probably will loose the GOAT title but thats out of anyone hands
Even as a Federer fan, I don't consider him the GOAT, for the simple reason that no such thing exists. Each of the Big 3 has achieved things that the others haven't, just as Laver is the only man in the Open era with a calendar Grand Slam. But the GOAT debate will never die, of course.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
When Federer wins: that's something best for the tennis
When Djok/Nad wins: tennis needs a fresh new blood ASAP

Such humanitarians and fans of the sport these Federer fans, they only want the best for tennis.
exactly. fed winning slams after 35 years of age obviously adds to his resume and is a landmark for his talent, yet younger ATGs when meeting in a slam final is considered to be some short of show-off between two old donkeys?
the sumgness and arrogance of the fedtards never ceases to amaze. :spit:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with those who say that whatever happens on Sunday, and whatever Nadal and Djokovic go on to achieve, it won't diminish Federer's greatness, even if he loses some of his records to them. Much as I respect Nadal and Djokovic, Federer is still the best player I have ever seen
He is just the most successful tennis player of all times. Not the best, even his biggest losses to Nadal and Djokovic in slams and Tour finals prove it.
I said he is "the best player I have ever seen", i.e. in my view, regardless of his big losses to Nadal and Djokovic. In other words, I'm being entirely subjective.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am more optimistic.

1) Federer is not done at all. When he loses it is very close calls to players who hit their peak. That is expected as a 37 years old. I believe a 38-39 year old Federer in the zone can still cruise to Grand Slam victories on fast surfaces with a little bit of luck.

2) I don't want to bet my money and mortgage on either Nadal or Djoker winning 21 GS.

3) Federers endorsement deals are much higher than both Nadal and Djoker's, which is a testament to Federer being much more universally loved by the public at a global level.

4) Federer's playing style is much more beautiful to watch - I have asked a lot of non-tennis fans and they all agree on that. Federer's silk smooth elegance is is just much more entertaining to watch than baseline playing like a wall grinder or moon balling slugger, at least for people who are not tennis experts.

Federer is the GOAT and he will remain the GOAT in our lifetime in the public majority perception - outside Serbia and Mallorca - at the very least.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
it is my opinion that Nadal and Djokovic both have the capacity to go beyond Fed in GS tally, I already would say that they can be argued to be the GOATs. I feel that the Big Three should always be respected regardless of who you personally support, they have made each other greater than they could ever individually have become...

Bring on Sunday, my signature will be updated either way and best of luck to the baseline titans

·
Registered
523 Posts

Respect you man. I can see you are a Federer fan, but no tard who just hate his rivals for the sake of it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Just shows how delusional Nadovic fans actually are. Their heroes beat up on an old man in a few Slam finals and suddenly this 'proves' something. The truth of course is that Nadovic's boring baseline game can never equal the all-court superiority of Federer. Even after all he has won, 99% of tennis fans want Federer to win even more, which is amazing. On the other hand, 99% of tennis fans want Nadovic to lose every time they take to the court.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
exactly. fed winning slams after 35 years of age obviously adds to his resume and is a landmark for his talent, yet younger ATGs when meeting in a slam final is considered to be some short of show-off between two old donkeys?
the sumgness and arrogance of the fedtards never ceases to amaze. :spit:
Not just that forum Fedtards say these things, these things are also being said by supposed professional and unbiased expert Mats Wilander.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
So a perfectly fine and reasonable OP is becoming almost a hate thread towards a fanbase by some? Hypocrisy never fails to disappoint.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts