Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which was the last time we had a solid Big 3-4 with an equally solid group of competitors and contenders who could properly challenge them.

Could be an incredibly competitive and unpredictable London when you consider the results and quality from this line-up through 7 months...

1 Rafael Nadal 5,760
2 Roger Federer 4,020
3 Alexander Zverev 3,585
4 Juan Martin del Potro 3,380
5 Novak Djokovic 3,355
6 Dominic Thiem 2,995
7 Marin Cilic 2,915
8 Kevin Anderson 2,820
9 John Isner 2,470

Reactions: Roxitova

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sarcasm? This might be the weakest field since 2009 :lol: (Excluding last year obviously)

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sarcasm? This might be the weakest field since 2009 :lol: (Excluding last year obviously)
Wait did you watch last year

How about all the other train wreck years this decade

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
It’s the best of the last 3 years, but 2014 and 2015 WTF lineup were surely stronger by true level, both years had the cutoff over 4000 points and the competition was slightly stronger too.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,721 Posts
well in terms of all being slam finalists or masters winners, yeah.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wait did you watch last year

How about all the other train wreck years this decade
I said except last year. Also this is a weak era if you haven't yet realized a 32 year old is number one and a 36 year old is number 2. 2011-2015 was the golden era of the Big 4 one of the strongest eras in tennis history.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Stronger than last year when jokes like Jack Sock got in and won matches, but that isn't all that strong. It's nowhere near what it was when Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Ferrer and Del Potro were at their relative peaks, Federer much better than he is right now, and peak Tsonga/Berdych on the back end (so around 2011-2014). All 8 of those guys at their peaks would have crushed Zverev.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s the best of the last 3 years, but 2014 and 2015 WTF lineup were surely stronger by true level, both years had the cutoff over 4000 points and the competition was slightly stronger too.
Disagree. 2014 featured Gen Useless Nishikori and Raonic, as well as the even more useless and irrelevant Berdych. 2015 had Berdych, Nishikori and FERRER.

So yeah.

Reactions: Budadiii

·
52,721 Posts
Disagree. 2014 featured Gen Useless Nishikori and Raonic, as well as the even more useless and irrelevant Berdych. 2015 had Berdych, Nishikori and FERRER.

So yeah.
Well Kei had beaten Federer, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Ferrer, Raonic multiple times and was very close to beating Nadal that year in Madrid. It was only bad luck he didn't manage to snatch a big title considering his runs. He made the WTF despite missing 3 masters events and losing RG R1 due to injury, which says quite a lot. Kei also had around 6300 pts in August of 2015 even without a masters or slam title, which is a higher points load than anyone below Fedal currently in the live rankings, though Del Potro could possibly surpass that if he does well in the US swing and after. To me his level was very high in 2014.

·
Registered
57,779 Posts
Yeah, I mean, 7/8 will probably win Slams at some point, it looks good on paper. But the only ones of those top 8 playing their best tennis this year are Anderson and arguably Zverev.

·
52,721 Posts
It’s only strong in terms of career achievements.
too bad Dimitrov probably won't be there to defend his title, because it would boost that aspect of the tournament significantly.

Yeah, I mean, 7/8 will probably win Slams at some point, it looks good on paper. But the only ones of those top 8 playing their best tennis this year are Anderson and arguably Zverev.
well forgetting the slams, of course.

And Nadal was exceptional in MC though, I do concur his level on clay otherwise was somewhat sketchy, but still more than good enough to take advantage as usual.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Strongest no, that doesn't mean it's not most exciting potential in years. It is IMO. Perhaps you mistook the terms (?) With 4 (the true top 4) healthy but playing may be at around 80% of their peak level (give or take) pretty much even in level and 4 contenders (Nishikori, Isner, Anderson, Cilic) 2 playing the best tennis of their careers. Zverev a question mark but proven in Bo3 to have a few upsets to his name

·
Registered
21,404 Posts
No I don't think it was weak I'm saying this field is the weakest since 2009 outside of 2017. 2009 was a solid year.
2017 is definitely the weakest no doubt but I think this year has the potential to way better than 2016 in my opinion.

Fedalovic, Zverev, Del Po, potentially Kei/Isner/Anderson, it’s a good decent field imo. Hopefully Thiem doesn’t make it this year, then it would be stronger since he’s not that good on HC.

2016 had no Fedal(the most important factor). Monfils/Goffin participated in it, other than Raonic and Murray everyone was so average. Djokovic was horrific in the final

1 - 20 of 34 Posts