Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to compare 2018 wins vs. 2017 wins prior to the US Open for all players with 20 wins.

In 2018, there have been 43 players with at least 20 wins prior to the US Open.
In 2017, there were 46 players with at least 20 wins prior to the US Open.

29/46 players with 20+ wins in 2017 also had 20+ wins in 2018.
17/46 players with 20+ wins in 2017 had less than 20 wins in 2018 (names in red font in the table below).

14 players with 20+ wins in 2018 had less than 20 wins in 2017.

Tsitsipas (+30), Jarry (+22), Shapovalov (+20), del Potro (+19), and Tiafoe (+19) have had the largest increase in wins in 2018 vs. 2017 (highlighted in green in table below).

Not surprisingly, the largest decrease in wins in 2018 vs. 2017 includes players who have been injured most of this year or have had terrible form: Sock (-23), Berdych (-22), Muller (-21), Murray (-21), and Tsonga (-21). The names in red italics are the players that I know have missed significant time this year due to injuries.

Who do think think are the biggest surprises (both positive and negative) on the list below?

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Tsitsipas's rise was spectacular. Didn't expect him to shoot up the rankings quite as fast.
Sock's fall is obviously the msot puzzling. Since I'm not aware of him being injured or anything. All other players that have had similar drops in performance, it's been because of injuries.
I'm als pretty surprised that Federer's record is not much worse this year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tsitsipas's rise was spectacular. Didn't expect him to shoot up the rankings quite as fast.
Sock's fall is obviously the msot puzzling. Since I'm not aware of him being injured or anything. All other players that have had similar drops in performance, it's been because of injuries.
I'm als pretty surprised that Federer's record is not much worse this year.
What about Donald Young? Has he been injured this year?

Thanks,

-David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts