Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions for the 2018 season should be written here. Hurry, we got about one week before polls need to be opened so that we have the proper amount of time to vote.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I think we should talk about how we should do the Next Gen Finals next year.

I see a few options:

1) No changes - An exhibition event where anyone can participate and no ranking points are awarded

2) Ranking points awarded - Anyone can enter and ranking points are awarded (points distribution can be similar to a 500 event)

3) Ranking points awarded and Invitation Needed - Players ranked 17-32 at the end of the year are invited and ranking points are distributed. In the case that player(s) ranked 17-20 also play as an ALT in the World Tour Finals, that player only has the best result between the two Finals events count (based on ranking points)

I like Option 2, but I don't mind keeping it as an exhibition :)

·
Administrator
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fine with the NextGen finals staying as an exhibition with no ranking points awarded. But if we decide to award ranking points I do think it should be worth less than a 250 event.

After all, it's an exhibition in real life. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I prefer option 1 or 3. ;)
As of now, it's not a regular tournament and therefore I wouldn't treat it in FITD as a regular tournament.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it was a topic already last year, that ended with a tie, and the situation has not improved, I'd like to have another vote on the Number of tournaments played.

In weeks with three tournaments, we nearly always had problems finding enough managers and more than once someone had to manage more than one tournament in a week.

·
Administrator
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In weeks with three tournaments, we nearly always had problems finding enough managers and more than once someone had to manage more than one tournament in a week.
Now, I assume that it would be manager's choice for which tournament to choose that week if there are 2 or more tournaments of the same level (250, 500). Or should it be put to vote by the players?

But maybe we send out PMs to all the players asking for volunteers to help manage if they want to continue to play all tournaments every week. I have this weird feeling that if we cut out tournaments, we'll lose players.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Now, I assume that it would be manager's choice for which tournament to choose that week if there are 2 or more tournaments of the same level (250, 500). Or should it be put to vote by the players?
I don't mind how the decision, where to play, is made. We could vote on that in a second step.

I see four options:
- managers decision
- vote by players
- rotation - every year a different tournament
- board decision at the beginning of the year - that seemed to be the suggested option by Eddy DoubleD last year.

In Suicide it's by vote. But if you don't tag players, only a few vote. So most players don't seem to care a lot about it.
But maybe we send out PMs to all the players asking for volunteers to help manage if they want to continue to play all tournaments every week. I have this weird feeling that if we cut out tournaments, we'll lose players.
It's worth a try, but I lost hope that we will be able to activate a lot of people here. It's the same story in all four games I am playing. Lack of managers is the biggest problem everywhere.

I am not so sure about losing players. For FITD, timezone is not as important as in TT or Suicide. It's more about having spare time over the weekend.
Most players play every tournament in a week. So I can't see an immediate reason for most of them, why they should stop playing. But of course you never know in advance, what will happen.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
As far as suggestions, completely boycott/ignore the Cincinnati kind of tournaments, with a Saturday night draw and a Sunday morning start. Less than or barely 24 hours between the draw is out and the first ball is struck makes it impossible to give everybody a fair chance to participate.
(I had to double check whether my claim was true, it sounds like I was somewhat off, it was roughly 30 hours in between in Cincinnati).

On a personal level, last year I dropped out of playing most of the 250s. The volume of tournament wasn't what made me do this, I tried to play them all in 2016. But in 2016 there were several tournaments not updated on a daily base. It got better in 2017, especially in the second half of the season. When the first update is posted on Thursday, you're losing my interest to check the scores. I realize the burden this puts on the managers, I've managed these kind of games elsewhere. However, my main reason to drop most of the 250s was the malicious content in ads on MTF. Several times in 2016 and again in 2017 did the virus scanners on my laptop pick out bad stuff, making it an easy decision to not go to MTF for a while. As a result, in 2017 I basically stuck with anything 500 and up (missing the horribly timed Cincy tourney), playing just a handful of the 250s.

·
Administrator
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The period for suggestions is over. I see we got quite a few suggestions. :p

@ESPNGEEK - If you can copy and paste all players from your rankings spreadsheet and add the '@' symbol in front of all the usernames to mention all the players in these poll threads that would be very helpful in notifying everyone.

This thread is now closed.

You can vote on the two potential changes for 2018. Links are below. :wavey:

FITD Poll 1: Should NextGenFinals award ranking points?

FITD Poll 2: Should we change the number of tournaments that are played?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.