Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
When did he start to have that injury? If I recall correctly last year at Rome somebody already mentioned that. But cannot be sure.
He really seems distracted indeed, as if tennis is no longer his priority, but he knows tennis has been practically his entire life. Oh well.

Anyway so he is skipping Dubai and will go directly to his beloved IW-Miami (I'm jinxing him hard by saying this :lol:). I'll start the double master thread if anyone does not mind :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
OOT: I just read the entire tweet from this guy: https://twitter.com/ryvlin. He had video and excerpt from Novak on Maria's returning. I love them both and I'm so glad that they are very supportive one to another

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
I also have a hard time understanding what's going on with Novak... Have so many questions these days... It seems so up and down since the French Open, I know he's been through personal issues during Wimbledon and then shoulder/elbow injuries through Toronto, Rio and US Open... He did play really well in patches in the meantime (especially the Nishikori matches in Toronto and London) but his consistency really took a hit with those strange matches at the US Open and worrying losses to Bautista Agut and Cilic during the fall... Dunno what happened in the London final but his level of play was really down a notch from the rest of the tournament, and we all hoped he would be back at 100% in 2017..

The year started really well in Doha, awesome win in the final where mentally and physically he really seemed back close to his best, roaring after winning important points and all!! He really looked back motivated and refreshed in his interviews, talked about playing still for many more years, but then AO 2nd round happened and all he talked about was wanting to go back home with his son... In DC he looked absent, played terribly and the shoulder issue seems to have resurfaced, who knows what's up with that... It seems like a mix of up-and-down motivation, injuries flaring up at wrong moments, and some people mentionned he lost some weight in the last 8 months? I noticed he looked a bit skinnier recently, and his stats from RG 2016 to AO 2017 show he lost about 10 pounds... Has he lost some power on his shots too? Max. 192 KPH first serves in AO 2nd round (he used to easily reach above 200-205 KPH in recent years), anybody else noticed that? It's hard to have any expectation for IW/Miami now, it's the part of the year where he always performs SO well, has 2000 points to defend right there, really hope he'll be 100% ready! Is he 100% motivated for that? Who knows...

Tough times for us Nole fans :hug:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'm still laughing at the fact they made a thread out of your tweets, @Yolita :lol:
Hail Yolita! And hey, you got our boy's poster in the end :p
Some strong mom's power there :lol:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I'm still laughing at the fact they made a thread out of your tweets, @Yolita :lol:
Hail Yolita! And hey, you got our boy's poster in the end :p
Some strong mom's power there :lol:
:lol: :lol:

The whole thing was hilarious. I was just mocking theMiami Open account because their TL looked like a Federer fan TL: they responded, it got out of proportion. Some idiot fedtars on Twitter rejoiced and made it even more popular. It was the talk of the town. :lol:

I have blocked many that come to my TL to insult me, and they make double accounts to be able to read my tweets. Sometimes I think they are more obsessed with me than with their man.

But we have a poster for our man and for other players, too. As it should be: there's room for everybody. Tennis wins. :)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Novak is coming to Acapulco!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Unfortunately it's all sold out and I couldn't make the trip anyway, too busy. But I was this close to going to Acapulco this year, I just never imagined Novak would come.

I'm very happy, though. It means his shoulder injury is better and he is eager to play again. Thte courts are similar to Indian Wells, so this may be good practice. The field is really strong, too. 6 top-10 players and many other tough opponents, like Delpo.

Good luck, Novak!! (I just hope he doesn't get Delpo in the first round :lol:)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
@RetourGagnant will you make the Acapulco/Sunshine double thread (March Madness with 3 tournaments is coming :cheerleader: ) thread or should we comment here?

·
Registered
791 Posts
insane draw :unsure:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Guiys, you should see the love that has been showered on Novak! And people called me a liar what I told them what an idol Novak was in Mexico.

His practice attracted almost 5000 people, on Oscar night, the night of the players party. Everybody cheering for Novak, asking for an autograph. It was lovely to see.

Novak was visibly moved and he said in his presser that he had been energised by the crowd. That he had very rarely experienced so much love. My heart is melting. :inlove:

The promotion here has also been spectacular, lots of little clips showcasing different things: his epic battles, his GS titles, his dancing, singing, playing around, his kindness to children, his foundation...

The tickets were all sold out, but when Djokovic was announced, the tickets for his match went through the roof: almost 6 000 Euro. Absolutely insane.

I am so delighted.

His draw, unfortunately, is diabolical. But if he's in shape he can go deep. Fingers crossed. Just over an hour to go.

Check my TL on Twitter if you want to see some of the videos. I posted them there. @ yolitatennis
:cheerleader:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Yesterday's match was a cracker. A highly entertaining Djokocoaster.

They both came out hitting the ball with abandon. Then Novak lost his way and Delpo took the first set. I felt Novak forgot his tactics, kept feeding delpo balls to his FH and generally not thinking on court, but he kept close and when he took the second set the crowd explode in jubilation.

It was clear the crowd was with Nole, which is unbelievable, given how many Argentinians live here and how loved Delpo is. But definitely the crowd wanted Nole to win. They cheered for Delpo, too... very nice crowd.

In the third Delpo broke and then I saw the old Novak back: the eyes, the body language, the determination, the fight. He was not going to be denied...So he broke back and then took the match.

Very positive performance, I think.

His mind is going in the right direction: it won't be long before he realises his body needs more nourishment to get his power back. His FHs are slower than the 2011-2016 average. Obviously. He'll get there. ;)

I am very happy indeed.

Kyrgios next. He finished his short match at 5.30 pm, Novak at 1 am. Let's hope he recovers in time.

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Yesterday's match was a cracker. A highly entertaining Djokocoaster.

They both came out hitting the ball with abandon. Then Novak lost his way and Delpo took the first set. I felt Novak forgot his tactics, kept feeding delpo balls to his FH and generally not thinking on court, but he kept close and when he took the second set the crowd explode in jubilation.

It was clear the crowd was with Nole, which is unbelievable, given how many Argentinians live here and how loved Delpo is. But definitely the crowd wanted Nole to win. They cheered for Delpo, too... very nice crowd.

In the third Delpo broke and then I saw the old Novak back: the eyes, the body language, the determination, the fight. He was not going to be denied...So he broke back and then took the match.

Very positive performance, I think.

His mind is going in the right direction: it won't be long before he realises his body needs more nourishment to get his power back. His FHs are slower than the 2011-2016 average. Obviously. He'll get there. ;)

I am very happy indeed.

Kyrgios next. He finished his short match at 5.30 pm, Novak at 1 am. Let's hope he recovers in time.

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
I know the fire seemed to be back there in the Del Potro match, but what were your impressions of last night's match?? It seems he was absolutely clueless about Kyrgios' serve, and even though he served well himself for the whole match, he really threw away that last game, barely seemed to care during the last 2 points and playing so fast :sad:.. It almost looks like he wanted to be out of there, and his 24 seconds-long press conference was really weird as well... Looks like he was really disappointed to lose against Kyrgios, but why wasn't there any fight in that last game?? Puzzling to say the least..

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
@RetourGagnant will you make the Acapulco/Sunshine double thread (March Madness with 3 tournaments is coming :cheerleader: ) thread or should we comment here?
I missed the entire tennis thing for the past couple of weeks, I didnt even know Novak was in Acapulco (fake fan I am :tears:). MTF kinda lost its appeal with some of the nastiest posters back, so that too...

Anyway, I promise I'll make the Sunshine Double thread. I can feel it that my thread will get Novak's his mojo back :lol:
@Yolita ,too bad you couldnt watch Novak's match in your home soil. Hopefully you could be back in London for his Wimbledon and WTF victory this year :devil:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I know the fire seemed to be back there in the Del Potro match, but what were your impressions of last night's match?? It seems he was absolutely clueless about Kyrgios' serve, and even though he served well himself for the whole match, he really threw away that last game, barely seemed to care during the last 2 points and playing so fast :sad:.. It almost looks like he wanted to be out of there, and his 24 seconds-long press conference was really weird as well... Looks like he was really disappointed to lose against Kyrgios, but why wasn't there any fight in that last game?? Puzzling to say the least..
I thought yesterday Novak played really well. The first set he was brilliant: focused, all his shots there, but Nick's serving was out of this world. It was their first meeting, too. I had never seen Nick play like this.

I think Nick stole the first set and it was very hard for Novak to stomach that, but he managed to focus and continue playing well... The last game proved too much: one bad game.

If you take away Nick's aces, Novak hit more winners than him.

I think it was a positive performance, all in all. Nick will not be able to produce another serving display like last night, his ranking is proof of that.

Novak should feel confident heading into IW.

Another positive thing: Novak was really angry. TThat's good news. Gone is the zen guy, happy to be alive and perfetly ok with losing. Hopefully Pepe's influenece will fade away.

I think Nole will do well at IW and Miami.

Expect another criminal draw: the story of Novak's life. :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,393 Posts
I thought yesterday Novak played really well. The first set he was brilliant: focused, all his shots there, but Nick's serving was out of this world. It was their first meeting, too. I had never seen Nick play like this.

I think Nick stole the first set and it was very hard for Novak to stomach that, but he managed to focus and continue playing well... The last game proved too much: one bad game.

If you take away Nick's aces, Novak hit more winners than him.

I think it was a positive performance, all in all. Nick will not be able to produce another serving display like last night, his ranking is proof of that.

Novak should feel confident heading into IW.

Another positive thing: Novak was really angry. TThat's good news. Gone is the zen guy, happy to be alive and perfetly ok with losing. Hopefully Pepe's influenece will fade away.

I think Nole will do well at IW and Miami.

Expect another criminal draw: the story of Novak's life. :lol: :lol:
Nick's serving performances can really interpolate with his mood (for example Toronto last season served 18 DFs in a loss to Shapovalov, or 4.5 games worth!) but I wouldn't bank on him being lousy on serve for any given match. This is why he has been able to beat the likes of Nadal, Federer, Raonic and Wawrinka, by sticking with them on serve and standing by for the opportunities. I do have him up there as one of the top 5 spot servers, meaning he gets the spots right a lot when he needs it. In fact his serve is now better than Raonic's categorically speaking on both first and second deliveries. He served very similarly against Kei at Madrid QF last year with up to 80% first serves for the first two sets. Was actually 2 points from beating Kei to set a meeting with Djokovic in the SF, but Kei held at *5-6 30-30, won the TB easily and deciding set. The end result (minusing aces) was 16-37 baseline winners in Kei's favour, which meant Kei ended up hitting more than double the winners Kyrgios did off the baseline. So not unusual to outwinner Nick off the baseline and be at the losing end. Still 25 aces in the space of two sets is too much (he hit 18 against Kei in 3 sets) and I think part of it was Djokovic not reading his serve well.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I'm feeling very optimisitic going into IW. Novak's win against Delpo was huge. Losing to somebody hitting ace after ace is no shame, as Nadal proved yesterday. It was Novak's first match agiants Kyrgios, next time I expect a different result.

Novak is looking healthy, happy (not right after losing to Nick, but in general). I expect good things.

Good luck, dear Novak. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'll make the Sunshine Double thread once the draw is available! :)

61 - 80 of 82 Posts