Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
The Federer hype is off the charts. Bunch of fanboys, most journos are. And you will see that this claim that "we all want a Fedal final" is BS. Everybody will be rooting for Grigor. He has the game, but he is a fan boy and has no chance against Roger. Watch them rooting for Grigor against Nadal: they don't want a battle, they want a surrender. This is no sport, this is a cult. :lol:

But I have admiration for Roger: he sees an opportunity and he seizes it, like he did in Roland Garros 2009. Murray had the chance of his life to win the AO with Novak out, having lost 4 AO finals. Yet he couldn't capitalise. Novak out so early was a gift for whoever wanted to take it.

A lot to be said for Roger. Respect.

He deserves all the hype.Period.

·
Registered
948 Posts
He may deserve the hype, but I'll stick with Rafa. Take it all, champ. Your heart has always been in the right place, even if your body faltered.

·
Registered
948 Posts
And yes, Nole should kick his own scrawny ass all the way back to practice courts, cause he's directly to blame for this AO.:drink::boxing:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So it's gonna be one thread for the entire year?

Fedal and the Williams final everyone? :haha:
Tennis is in coma right now
No, I mean I don't know. I will change the title when IW comes around, just thought I'd leave it like that until Sunshine double since Novak currently isn't scheduled to play Dubai (just DC for February it seems) or you can open a new one if you want :) .

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Lol, All Williams Final and Fedal Final in the same tournament. Tennis is truly dead
I'm so rooting for Rafa now. The lesser evil, the humbler one

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
And yes, Nole should kick his own scrawny ass all the way back to practice courts, cause he's directly to blame for this AO.:drink::boxing:
I prefer to blame it on Murray :lol: (I am pretty sure even if he lost to Federer, RF would find it hard to make it through Kei-Andy and Stan in a row, this way QF was a practise session :lol: ) ,especially since Rafa made it to the final :cheerleader: , that was the only acceptable choice for me in Novak's half of the draw after he lost to Istomin , at least Novak has been strugling for months, what's the new no1 (and to think Nole still won more slams and masters) excuse for losing to a journeyman :haha:
especially when Novak offers you perhaps the only chance of ever winning AO which is also ironically Murray's best slam with 5 finals here .

·
Registered
948 Posts
I still blame Noxi for all.:eek:

Had he shaken off his typical weak few early rounds, I have no doubt he would have won the title, since he plays himself into peak form by the end of the 2nd week.

When he's on his A game, I don't give a flying fuck who he's facing. He's that much better.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Did AO twitter really post this (and deleated it after ) ?

:lol: if this is true . Forced to endure :haha: , what kind of trolling of Djokovic, Wawrinka and Murray.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Did AO twitter really post this (and deleated it after ) ?

:lol: if this is true . Forced to endure :haha: , what kind of trolling of Djokovic, Wawrinka and Murray.
They did tweet this, but it was deleted after it was mocked and criticised by many. Too outrageous even for our sport. :)

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Federer is an admirable sportsman. But when an entire sports community is in love with one of the competitors to the point that every journo, TV commentator, tournament director, and most players are rooting for that competitor, the sport becomes a cult.

Yesterday it was evident that nobody really wanted a Fedal final: the entire status quo was rooting for Grigor. They pretended, to look a little less biased. They didn't fool me for a minute. :lol:

I have a problem with that: in any other sport this behaviour would be unacceptable, you don't get any sports commentators sitting with one in one team's box: they would get fired...Not in our sport. I believe that the Nole Slam (which used to be called a non-calendar Grand Slam, but the ITF changed the definition in March 2012, very timely ;) )would have been properly appreciated without this cult. When Roger was close to achieving it, it was called "a near mythical feat", Bjorn Borg called it "the most incredible achievement in tennis history". But that changed when it was Novak who achieved it. Most journos are not capable of objectivity: they are fans. And so tennis had the dubious pleasure of being the only sport which doesn't celebrate its own records.

I have a problem with that. I believe in fair play. Fans can root for whoever they want, but the people in authority should be fair and unbiased. That hasn't been the case in our sport for 10 years or more. I think the sooner it stops, the better.

Even about fans: there is something unseemly about an entire crowd rooting against a player, heckling him, cheering his mistakes. Every player on the brink of beating Roger has felt it: Leo Mayer, Nishikori, Karlovic, Wawrinka, Raonic, Rafa and Nole, of course... What happened to the "classy" sport that tennis was. Nowhere to be seen.

This tweet is just one of millions of examples.

Perdsonally, I believe that history will set things right, because truth always finds a way, but it will take time before a proper tribute can be made about Novak's achievments: he single-handedly took down Fedal at the age of 23, he won the Nole Slam, he produced the most dominant 20 months in tennis history, 2015 will be a season impossible to match... yet, it is as if he had done nothing special. There is something wrong when such a charismatic, entertaining champion, with such an inspiring story, cannot find a place in the narrative of the sport. Without the Federer cult, there would be room for everybody.

The narrative is controlled, writers have been forced to take pieces down when they are deemed too critical. I have a problem with that. The manufacture of consent.

The sooner it ends, the better. Our sport will survive. But it will take time to heal.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Aways cringed at the amount of groveling Yoli described so well^.
While I certainly hold Fed in very high regard in terms of talent, technique and overall achievements which are rightly praised, he's simply never been my cup of tea and it was like that way before Nole burst into scene.
God knows Novak drives me crazy time and time again, and on many occassions I wanted to slap sense into him, but ultimately he's my precious and I won't give him up lol.
Such a smart boy, think that's what I always liked about him the most.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I wonder if this final will rekindle the flame to dominate the tour once again inside our beloved Nole. Screw the message of love and the adoration of the public. I've always wanted him to be our genious rebellious villain who spoiled the snob's parties :lol: I think many of his fans actually love that "dark" side of him :p

I really do think he lacks training, as Boris mentioned. We'll see

Anyway, I'm hoping for another dragging by Nadal and waterworks from Fed :p The repeat of that cringeworthy moment of AO 2009 :haha:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes, always loved the Djoker side of him. Fuck hearts to the crowd or anything outside who's across the net.
He was the one man able to put a stop to Fedal on all surfaces, regardless of how great they were playing at the time. I often relished the win that much more because of the awful way crowds and press acted.
You win in spite of it all cause you know, when you're feeling it, you're so above the field, it's not even close.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Yes, I think most Nole fans really enjoy that side of Nole: the party spoiler, the rebellious one (a true rebel, defying the establishment...not a fake rebel like Kyrgios). And he did put an end to Fedal in 2011, and for 6 years many pundits have been in despair. Now that we have another Fedal final, maybe it's time for Nole to put a stop to Fedal again. :lol:

I'm also relishing in advance a few tears from the GOAT! :haha:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi guys.

I've had to create a new ID cause MTF reset my old one and can't find the email for it. Anyways I've been coming here regularly and hoping for news. I guess others are the same.

Seriously without Novak this slam has been shyte for me. In fact I've spent more time with my wife and baby than I have watching the tennis, which probably wouldn't be the case is Nole was going deep in this tournament.

The hype for this Fedal final is a joke. All that's going to happen is Nadal is going to spank Fed so hard. It'll be more of a beatdown than what Nole dishes out to Murray.

Nole better get his shit together because if there's one thing I hate more than him losing, it's those idiots winning because of the hype.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Who knew Rafa would be so tired in the end, really didn't expect it. His movement was so slow, did more damage on backhand than on forehand, so weird. Really felt for him, poor baby.
Fed did play better, wanted it more, hands down. Off court MTO or not lol.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
They did tweet this, but it was deleted after it was mocked and criticised by many. Too outrageous even for our sport. :)

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Federer is an admirable sportsman. But when an entire sports community is in love with one of the competitors to the point that every journo, TV commentator, tournament director, and most players are rooting for that competitor, the sport becomes a cult.

Yesterday it was evident that nobody really wanted a Fedal final: the entire status quo was rooting for Grigor. They pretended, to look a little less biased. They didn't fool me for a minute. :lol:

I have a problem with that: in any other sport this behaviour would be unacceptable, you don't get any sports commentators sitting with one in one team's box: they would get fired...Not in our sport. I believe that the Nole Slam (which used to be called a non-calendar Grand Slam, but the ITF changed the definition in March 2012, very timely ;) )would have been properly appreciated without this cult. When Roger was close to achieving it, it was called "a near mythical feat", Bjorn Borg called it "the most incredible achievement in tennis history". But that changed when it was Novak who achieved it. Most journos are not capable of objectivity: they are fans. And so tennis had the dubious pleasure of being the only sport which doesn't celebrate its own records.

I have a problem with that. I believe in fair play. Fans can root for whoever they want, but the people in authority should be fair and unbiased. That hasn't been the case in our sport for 10 years or more. I think the sooner it stops, the better.

Even about fans: there is something unseemly about an entire crowd rooting against a player, heckling him, cheering his mistakes. Every player on the brink of beating Roger has felt it: Leo Mayer, Nishikori, Karlovic, Wawrinka, Raonic, Rafa and Nole, of course... What happened to the "classy" sport that tennis was. Nowhere to be seen.

This tweet is just one of millions of examples.

Perdsonally, I believe that history will set things right, because truth always finds a way, but it will take time before a proper tribute can be made about Novak's achievments: he single-handedly took down Fedal at the age of 23, he won the Nole Slam, he produced the most dominant 20 months in tennis history, 2015 will be a season impossible to match... yet, it is as if he had done nothing special. There is something wrong when such a charismatic, entertaining champion, with such an inspiring story, cannot find a place in the narrative of the sport. Without the Federer cult, there would be room for everybody.

The narrative is controlled, writers have been forced to take pieces down when they are deemed too critical. I have a problem with that. The manufacture of consent.

The sooner it ends, the better. Our sport will survive. But it will take time to heal.
You make some good points here, and I admit perhaps the tennis world is too in love with Roger- I feel this has been because of his artistic style and classic all court play, but that should not count against players who defend incredibly from the baseline. As a Roger fan myself to see him outdo his Archrival today was tremendous, but yes there should be more objectivity from commentators I feel. Well argued here.

I for one fully understand where you are coming from with respect to Djokovic achieving the Slam, because really as far as I'm concerned that was as impressive as Laver's achievement back in 69. It should have been celebrated more. Djokovic has been underappreciated because of how people feel about Fedal. However, to me he is very much a legend in his own right, he will be remembered in that way I am sure. :worship:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Well: Novak was even worse than I expected.

His shoulder injury has not healed, he was broken 4 times by Medvedev and kept making uncharacteristic errors.

I really think Novak needs a rest, a long rest. And then decide what he wants to do. It is too painful to see him like this. Even after he won he wasn't smiling. The joy is gone. :sad:

It is so sad that the Amazon team are following him around, when they originally were going to be following the #1 player around, filming what he did to win, instead of how he's losing... He should never have agreed to that. Too many distractions.

Never mind now. Irt is what it is. We can only wait and cheer him on.

Hugs, dear friends. :hug:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thankfully Serbia won the doubles so Novak doesn't have to play tomorrow :dance: , it's probably for the best given how he looked yesterday.

Trollicki was MVP of this tie :hatoff: .

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Novak is just too moody a person....cannot be best of all time and at the same time choose when to play your best..Practically has to be the best all the time..

·
Registered
755 Posts
Novak is just too moody a person....cannot be best of all time and at the same time choose when to play your best..Practically has to be the best all the time..
No one can be the best all the time, not even Federer. That's just too unrealistic.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts