Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ion Țiriac's plan to homogenize the sport around medium-pace hard courts continues, ostensibly because "fans prefer it".

Americans chose to have a Davis Cup tie on grass so there is clearly still interest in having grass tennis other than at Wimbledon.

Once upon a time in lands far and near, three of the four Grand Slam tournaments were contested on grass. In addition to these jewels in the crown of professional men’s tennis, several other tournaments on the ATP tour were played on grass. Unfortunately, and to the detriment of the sport, this number has dwindled to just six.

The Masters 1000 tournaments are the most prestigious after the four Grand Slams. Not one of the nine Masters 1000 events currently scheduled on the ATP Tour is played on grass.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Grass is an outdated surface. It's 2016, not 1930..

There is no need for grass surface in the modern game.

If not for lame "tradition" Wimby wouldn't be on grass either

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
It would be nice if they eventually upgraded Queens or Halle to a 1000 just like they upgraded them to a 500 first. That normally takes some time for them to mature as 500's, it can't be upgraded straight away.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Tennis has evolved, plain and simple. Players are not playing with wooden rackets or S&Ving nonstop.

Wanting more grass = wanting to set tennis back to the stone age.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
Grass should be canceled at all. Modern game is about smart play from the baseline and grass barely suits to this style. The ball control on grass is terrible, which is why it brings no joy to watch matches on this surface. Stupid ball bashing and net rushing is in the past.

·
Super Moderator
62,000 Posts
I doubt we'll see a grass masters soon. At least we've got a couple of 500s and an extra week which is some improvement.

"Grass is terrible!" — finally something Djokovic and Nadal tards can agree about.
Yeah, their respective merits on grass are fairly similar and a long way behind Federer, so it provides them with a source of agreement they can never reach about, for example, the WTF.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I think Miami is the most useless master on the list. Mayebe they can push the clay season a week ahead and play Queens as a Masters tournament before Wimbledon. Ah, one can only dream.

But I have to add that I do not know any of the current grass tournaments fulfill the requirements needed to be a 1000 Pts tournament.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Only the true talented tennis players excel on grass.

It exposes the rest.
Why is that so, if I may ask? So anyone who has invested time and worked hard to be a clay courter is not talented according to you?

·
Registered
17,228 Posts
While I'm not exactly clamoring for one, it would make for some nice (maybe needed) variety.

But as soon as Federer DOESN'T win it (or if certain people DO), people would just complain about it being too slow. Maybe having no Masters would just save us a lot of grief.

·
Rankings Master
15,517 Posts
Grass is an outdated surface. It's 2016, not 1930..

There is no need for grass surface in the modern game.

If not for lame "tradition" Wimby wouldn't be on grass either
No offense, but this is the most ILLOGICAL post YOU HAVE EVER MADE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By your logic, all tennis needs is that nice Australian Open hard court, right? Clay is outdated as well, since it has been used well since the start of the last century.

No diversity, no nothing. Sure, it's not 1930 and tennis should have a diverse range of courts, that's what makes it unique. All other sports have this single court or field type. If they have another, it must have different rules, but tennis has the same rules on different courts with more diversity. You would rather have it become like them than preserving its unique outlook.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
That's not what I meant. You misunderstood me completely. I don't "hate" grass btw. Why would I? Nole has the most Wimby titles since September 2006.

It is just outdated. There is no need for grass in the modern game.

·
Rankings Master
15,517 Posts
That's not what I meant. You misunderstood me completely. I don't "hate" grass btw. Why would I? Nole has the most Wimby titles since September 2006.

It is just outdated. There is no need for grass in the modern game.
I did not misunderstand anything, but tell us. If Wimbledon changes surface, what surface would you choose for it? Same as Roland Garros and the outdated clay.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts