Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which players are you impressed with compared to 2015 self?

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I say this, I do not mean they will be ranked in top 10 or will make Slam F etc, simply at ATP level throughout the year will we see the kind of results from youngsters from all around we have been treated to in Jan and Feb? By youngsters I don't just mean the new generation, generation 'useless' count here too. Raonic and Dimitrov I believe are starting anew and will have solid years.

To help those who don't see why I'm happy with youngster development, I have looked into each week this year and gathered some info. If you look back, it is very much better than last year.

Brisbane, Chennai, Doha:
Brisbane and Chennai show small signs of things to come. Though there are not dense results, certain people play very well. Start with Brisbane. At a small scale you see 18yo Oliver Anderson, soon to be AO champion junior, get through qualifying. But the main standouts are Bernard Tomic and Milos Raonic. Tomic upsets Nishikori in the QF, also goes close against Milos. Also at QF stage with a lesser-emphasis, Dominic Thiem wins over Cilic, though upset-prone still a good win. In the final, Raonic shocks everyone when he eases past Federer, though Federer is ill that week nothing taken away from Raonic who has done serious work on his game during his time-off, a more complete player who can actually rally with the big guns.

Chennai is focus on one man, Borna Coric, who upset Bautista Agut to reach his first ATP Final. Though it was easy for Wawrinka in the final, first final is definitely a step in the right direction, although consistency has been a problem. Elsewhere in Hopman cup, Nick Kyrgios overcoming major roadblock in Murray, in straight sets. Would later the same against another old enemy, Gasquet.

Auckland, Sydney
In Auckland, Jack Sock produces some excellent tennis. He beats Anderson and Ferrer in back to back efforts. In the match against Ferrer he is playing super well, taking the final sets 1 and 2. Unfortunately he is sick in the week too, but has still done well.

Although Grigor Dimitrov throws away a massive chance in Sydney, it is still a good sign that he has not lost this year to a player ranked below him. After last year, consistency is vital for him.

Australian Open
In qualies there are a lot of young talents playing, many win their first match or two. Taylor Fritz scrapes into his first grand slam, showing great mental ability in a comeback from 0-4 down against Mischa Zverev. In the main draw he continues to play well, and takes the seeded Sock to 5 before losing.

The first round of the AO is full off good results for youngsters who are not expected too win. The Wild Card reciprocals, Rubin and Halys, get great wins over Dodig and Paire (!). Although Kyrgios loses his points from last year, encouraging signs for him are that he doesnt lose a set to PCB and Cuevas, showing improvements in consistency. If draw had been favourable to him like last year (where almost lost to Delbonis!) He could have made that QF easily. Tomic's 4th round is nothing special, but Raonic's run is. He also beat Wawrinka who he never beat before, and came very close to the final. Great result for him, despite getting injured in process (again). The standard of tennis he plays is far better than the previous SF at Wimbledon.

Quito, Montpellier, Sofia
Well, not to expect too much this week as not many of them were playing. Some negatives this week with a few round 1 losses. Stand-out was surely Sascha Zverev run to the SF, though maybe he could beat Mathieu. Good though that he got the scalp of Cilic.

Buenos Aires, Memphis, Rotterdam
Buenos Aires saw the rise of Dominic Thiem. He had trouble in the early rounds against Elias, saved MP, and fought through to SF where he was underdog against Nadal. He also saved one match point agains nadal and then dominated the tiebreak. He then won the title with another 3rd set tiebreak against Almagro. Winning in such a way shows great mental toughness from the 22 year old. Maybe he will never win a grand slam, but he has sure has potential to dominate the clay swing.

Fritz also made the final in Memphis. Definitely he capitalised on a weak draw but he beat the second seed and showed mental strength at some of the toughest of times. It's not like he was embarrased in the final either, a respectable 6-4 6-4 loss against a top ten opponent. Consistency is an issue of course as he lost to Smyczek this week, but let's not forget he's only 18.

Quick congrats to Sascha for another good week, another scalp in Simon :yeah:

Marseille, Delray Beach, Rio de Janeiro
Sascha kept up with beating the low ranked opposition and also applied some pressure onto another seed Berdych but couldn't quite get the win. Good signs moving forward. Real story of Marseille though his Kyrgios who played solid tennis to beat Pospisil and Gabashvili (just like PCB and Cuevas at AO). Yesterday he beat Gasquet, or rather he thrashed Gasquet. Gasquet of all people he could a 0 set. Nick has a much more controlled game this year and better mental approach. He has looked good this tournament and has a realistic chance to get revenge on Berdych, we'll find out very soon.

Thiem continued his good run in Rio. Good wins against Andujar and Schwartzman to ensure no let up from Buenos Aires. Then he followed up the Nadal match with a very easy win over David Ferrer. You would have to favour him against Guido Pella to reach his first ATP 500 final and biggest points haul to date.
Thiago Monteiro played his first ATP match ever and stunned Tsonga

Lots of focus on the returning Del Potro in Delray beach, while Grigor quietly moves through the bottom half and close to his second final of the year.

What do you guys think? Have the results as a whole been better than 2015? Do you expect that trend to continue throughout the whole year?

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Out of the list you posted.

Milos Raonic - impressed this year, unfortunately can get injured too easily. At peak can easily make SF of Slams and beat the best
Grigor Dimitrov - will not be Top 20 at the level he is playing this year. Mugs around too much with players he should beat easily and doesn't seem particularly motivated. Parts of game have regressed and serve is AWOL
Dominic Thiem - will be interesting to see how he does on grass/hard for the rest of the year. Is clearly a Clay beast and could make Top 10 after clay season. Clearly motivated outside of Slams as well as in them. Serve is also v. good
Nick Kyrgios - bizarre, can totally beat the best but motivation seems all over the place.
Borna Coric - no kill shots, can beat good players on a good day but again can flop all over the place. Doesn't seem consistently strong
Sascha Zverev - Top 30 by year end, can push top players to their limit but can he go over the finish line? Again needs more matches against the Top 20
Taylor Fritz - consistent and a good player - not sure what the year holds
Jack Sock - seems to be flopping everywhere
Noah Rubin - watched only a few matches but lacks power, kill shots and makes too many errors
Bernard Tomic - the worst of them all. Claims to want to be Top 10 yet doesn't even bother trying to win tournaments he could easily vulture. He seems to want to peak at Slams/on the glory stage but unfortunately will run into players that are a) better than him later in the Slams and also b) more match hard because they actually bothered to play for the rest of the year. He is an embarrassment to the sport at present

I think the thing that will differentiate the Top of the youngster with the bottom is their egos. If they feel they are so talented they don't need to bother to play outside of the Slams (i.e Tomic) then they will never amount to anything. The only player that can currently afford to do this is Djokovic because he is the best in the world (and Serena). The rest need to scrabble around for their points. Who is Tomic to sniff his nose up at 250's? Look at Thiem for inspiration.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
only Raonic but he isn't a youngster. He is 25 for god's sake.
Indeed funny how Raonic, Dimitrov and say Nishikori at 24-25 are considered youngsters, while Fed and say Roddick and Hewitt at 26-27 were considered already past their prime, washed up and in decline.

The only reason for this inconsistency is an amazing never before seen and the strongest ever generation in between these two.

Fedtards are in ruins indeed.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
I got tired of this talks about youngsters. I didn't even read. As long as they don't beat Djokovic, there is no sense to discuss.
So you gave up on Nadal ever beating Djokovic again and have to hope for youngsters? Smart. :shrug:

·
Banned
586 Posts
Indeed funny how Raonic, Dimitrov and say Nishikori at 24-25 are considered youngsters, while Fed and say Roddick and Hewitt at 26-27 were considered already past their prime, washed up and in decline.

The only reason for this inconsistency is an amazing never before seen and the strongest ever generation in between these two.

Fedtards are in ruins indeed.
When Fed, at 27-29, was beaten by Novak in GS in 2010 and 2011, they say Fed loses because of age. But they don't say Novak still dominates the game and plays at his peak when he is 27,28,29,30 and counting :grin2:

The fact is that prime Fed was owned by prime Novak (and Nadal):grin2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The old guard have held the top of tennis for so long. 24/25 could be considered a youngster comparative to the rest of top 100... I consider Raonic to have grand slam winning potential, and think he will win one day as the older players pass through :D Dimitrov too.

Current generation have been very strong so hard for young players to break through... but Nadal, Ferrer, Federer, Wawrinka, Berdych all starting to reach the pointy end of career, that's in top 10 alone. If ever there is a time for the young player to create his 'era' he must begin his work in 2016 and 2017 and 2018, where this very old top 100 will be caught by age, one by one.

I really can't predict who will be our next number 1 :D Nole has 4-5 yrs max at the top spot and tennis is full of surprises, I don't think anyone older than Nole will ever be number 1, just not sure if the Nishikori-Raonic-Dimitrov group step up (there's still time!) or not

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When Fed, at 27-29, was beaten by Novak in GS in 2010 and 2011, they say Fed loses because of age. But they don't say Novak still dominates the game and plays at his peak when he is 27,28,29,30 and counting :grin2:

The fact is that prime Fed was owned by prime Novak (and Nadal):grin2:
I don't want to enter discussions about eras and whatnot, but @chico point actually bear some truth. ATP top 10, top 20, top 100 even, it's quite old. Old generation are in control and youngsters can't break in... then the current top 10 will all reach 30 (Nole the youngest besides Nishikori, only a year and quarter away from 30!) that's the important time for these new guys. Whichever 25 and under is the best in two years time will be the on e who is first to break the 'old' era

·
Registered
962 Posts
In order:

Fritz-Maiden final, another challenger, almost Top 100
Kyrgios-Had written off this mug till this week, might actually have a decent chance at a career if he keeps on caring like this
Raonic-Huge improvement from last year although injuries scare me
Zverev-Great work this half of the year, big improvement
Dimitrov-I'd reckoned that a better season was coming this year, but, besides his muggery vs Troicki, he's done a good job
Thiem-Two Top Ten wins and another title, huge stuff but expected given what he's already shown.
Coric-First final's good news but, besides RBA, the field wasn't great, even Chennai GOAT Bedene was struggling

1 - 14 of 14 Posts