Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the court speed for this french open?

How would you compare it to the speeds of Indians Wells, Miami, MC and Rome?

I watched a few qualifers and it seemed faster than IW and Miami which were hard courts!

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I'm just waiting for the organisers to build a court out of balloon animals so Monfils would be the clear favourite

·
Registered
59 Posts
Murray on the court and Nadal - " I mean, he's going to feel better and better. Yeah, he obviously loves the conditions here, although the courts this week have been extremely slow. You know, if it gets warmer and starts to speed up, I think obviously he loves the conditions here."

Federer - "I know it sounds a bit silly, but the conditions are totally different from what we have seen the last few weeks, because the balls are very dead, really. There is not much coming out of the balls; whereas all of the clay court season played very different. So that's why for me, of course the results what you have had in the past play somewhat of a role that can give you confidence. But at the end, I think we will see quite different tennis actually to the last six weeks, which I think is going to be a test for all of us and interesting. "

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Federer was not happy with the court ... I think the conditions may not be too bad for Nole... we will see. For Roger, should not make a difference

·
Registered
59,024 Posts
Bad news for Federer and Murray, great news for Monfils, probably mildly helps Nadal vs Djokovic but not too big a difference.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
I'm just waiting for the organisers to build a court out of balloon animals so Monfils would be the clear favourite
He can dive and slamdunk more freely, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Those qualification matches won't tell you anything about the court speed of big matches. Court Philippe Chatrier has always been quite different from any other courts of RG. It is the slowest and the most high-bouncing court in the world. Even in Suzanne Lenglen you can obviously observe much faster pace. And there are indications that PC got even one more step slower this year.

Reactions: Featherer

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Bad news for Federer and Murray, great news for Monfils, probably mildly helps Nadal vs Djokovic but not too big a difference.
I actually don't think it helps Rafa. Wasn't Murray saying exactly the opposite ... that conditions were not right for Rafa?

·
|
14,957 Posts
The slower it is the more it helps Djokovic, because it gives him more time to run down Nadal's forehand down-the-line.
Then again, it will also give Nadal more time to retrieve, and retrieving is a big deal at Roland Garros because Nadal uses the extra space to play back further.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Then again, it will also give Nadal more time to retrieve, and retrieving is a big deal at Roland Garros because Nadal uses the extra space to play back further.
That's why Djokovic has been grinding those drop shots and lobs all season long :)

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
hoping Murray faces Ferrer (should they meet) on SL.

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
Assuming they all get that far it will be on the same day as Dull v Faker so it will be on SL. From memory both of the QF days have 1 men's and 1 women's match on PC and the same on SL.
good for the game.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Yeah I just watched PC. New World Record for lowest court speed. :facepalm: So does it mean DJokovic and Nadal may potentially grind for 8 hrs? Good for tennis.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I will back up any one who complains about grass and hard courts being too slow but this is clay, it is supposed to be slow.
There is a reason I said it's good for tennis.:devil:

·
Registered
59,024 Posts
I will back up any one who complains about grass and hard courts being too slow but this is clay, it is supposed to be slow.
I mean yeah, there's no problem with it being slow, as you said it is supposed to be. Just on a personal level not happy about it being good for Nadal :p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts