Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to post this very early on after the improvements of Raonic, Dimitrov and Nishikori, and the emergence of Thiem and even Lajovic, and also some good improvements of others in that age range (around below 24). 2013 have been good for the veterans, which included Haas, Robredo, Youzhny and Ferrer which had multiple titles last year. This time, 2014 have been a buzz about the Young Guns, in which the aforementioned threesome has been making waves to the Top 10 and making big improvements in their game, while you see Thiem winning against a Top 3 player, youngest since Del Potro I think during US Open 2009, then Kyrgios winning against a World #1 at a Slam after how long, and now Zverev winning a tour match as "early" (for this era, anyway) as 17 years old and being able to beat a Top 20 player (admittedly not playing like one this year) since Gasquet for a long while too. Last time there seems only been little trickles about the Young Guns that it was virtually all about how the old guard is still tightening their places. This year has been showing young players mixing up with the tour, while the old guard seems to be struggling (although not enough to shake off in the big stages).

So, do you think this is the year of the Young Guns, and could we see a significant change in the average age next year in the Top 50? Also, do you just think that the generation of the 1993+ is just coming along here and could be having better potential than the lull given last year by the 1990+?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The younger players need to WIN or start WINNING slams for the change of guard to occur. So far this year Grigor Dimitrov has gotten close to beating Nadal in Australia and Djokovic at Wimbledon. However, Milos Raonic has also improved finally reach a slam quarterfinal on clay and the Wimbledon semifinals. Kei Nishikori had a great clay season BUT again the guy gets injured too often. I think by next year or maybe at the US Open one of the younger players will win a slam.I would be shocked by the end of 2015 if one of the younger guys do not win a slam.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Raonic will be 24 in 2015 just like Janowicz. Nishikori will be 25 years old and Gulbis will turn 26 in August.

They still haven't won anything big. Their window will already start to close as new players emerge before the Big Four are even retired.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
I was going to post this very early on after the improvements of Raonic, Dimitrov and Nishikori, and the emergence of Thiem and even Lajovic, and also some good improvements of others in that age range (around below 24). 2013 have been good for the veterans, which included Haas, Robredo, Youzhny and Ferrer which had multiple titles last year. This time, 2014 have been a buzz about the Young Guns, in which the aforementioned threesome has been making waves to the Top 10 and making big improvements in their game, while you see Thiem winning against a Top 3 player, youngest since Del Potro I think during US Open 2009, then Kyrgios winning against a World #1 at a Slam after how long, and now Zverev winning a tour match as "early" (for this era, anyway) as 17 years old and being able to beat a Top 20 player (admittedly not playing like one this year) since Gasquet for a long while too. Last time there seems only been little trickles about the Young Guns that it was virtually all about how the old guard is still tightening their places. This year has been showing young players mixing up with the tour, while the old guard seems to be struggling (although not enough to shake off in the big stages).

So, do you think this is the year of the Young Guns, and could we see a significant change in the average age next year in the Top 50? Also, do you just think that the generation of the 1993+ is just coming along here and could be having better potential than the lull given last year by the 1990+?
Nishikori, Raonic and Dimitrov aren't young guns, they're 23-24. And even if they were, neither came close to winning a Slam, at Masters level Nishikori came close to winning Madrid but nothing else of note apart from that. They have made some progress into the top 10, but are nowhere near the elite of the game - something that's unlikely to change any time soon.

Thiem and Lajovic? What have they done exactly? You got a point about Kyrgios and Zverev, reaching a QF of a Slam beating Nadal and getting a top 20 win (over Youzhny) are relevant achievements considering they're actually young.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nishikori, Raonic and Dimitrov aren't young guns, they're 23-24. And even if they were, neither came close to winning a Slam, at Masters level Nishikori came close to winning Madrid but nothing else of note apart from that. They have made some progress into the top 10, but are nowhere near the elite of the game - something that's unlikely to change any time soon.

Thiem and Lajovic? What have they done exactly? You got a point about Kyrgios and Zverev, reaching a QF of a Slam beating Nadal and getting a top 20 win (over Youzhny) are relevant achievements considering they're actually young.
Last year (when you could count them as young) it has been quite underwhelming for the trio compared to some accomplishments of the younger ones here. Sure, each of them had made some kind of mark in the game (like Dimitrov had that clash against Nadal in MC) but never were really ground breaking. I think this is their transition year of being "Young Gun" to being, well, putting it on the big stage but they seemed to be sprouting late. This year has been interesting on how many players around 22 below had reached the Top 100 and more promising results too (as I said, some records done around 10 5 years ago are only made just now than say 2 years ago).

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
You also need to remember that what these "young guns" have done this year has come at a time when 4 of last year's top 10 regulars have either been out injured or struggling to come back after very serious injuries.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who's made the slam finals this year? Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Federer. All young guns. :worship:
I was pertaining to the general feel of the tour, not just the ones who reached the end of these tournaments. Even last year, it is the same story in terms of endgame with the usual suspects reaching the Finals on big events (although we have seen Raonic and Pospisil in a Masters Semi, Dimitrov in a Masters QF, Janowicz in a Wimbledon SF) but in general last year have been full of 25+ players on the smaller events and rarely we see under 22s in QFs even in smaller events last year. There is a record of 30+ age players winning titles, and we have seen say some maiden titles won by long runners that just had their breakthrough right now. Some have slight breakthorughs but here now you have seen more and more of those smaller gens filling a good amount on the tournaments more regularly, unlike last year they seem to be stuck as R1 fodder. Records have been made which have only been made around 5+ years ago (20 year old winning against a Top 3 player, a teenager winning against a World #1 in a Slam, a 17 year old winning against a Top 20 player). Also, the last years' "breakthrough" players are now really going in the big stage, so it is progress in general for the new generation. So while I agree that the top hasn't been really shaken, the lower side of the Top 100 have been bubbling with young talent more usual than it has last year.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The tour has changed regarding what is a 'young gun'. It is a well known fact that the age players break through has gotten older and 23/24 is the norm for players to mature and start reaching their potential. So Raonic, Dimitrov and Nishikori are the modern version of 'young guns.'

However, they are not winning at the highest level yet. Not an ATP 1000 title between them. Only a couple of finals even. Nishikori has not even made a slam semi. The other two have one each.

Most likely their year will be 20016.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The tour has changed regarding what is a 'young gun'. It is a well known fact that the age players break through has gotten older and 23/24 is the norm for players to mature and start reaching their potential. So Raonic, Dimitrov and Nishikori are the modern version of 'young guns.'

However, they are not winning at the highest level yet. Not an ATP 1000 title between them. Only a couple of finals even. Nishikori has not even made a slam semi. The other two have one each.

You're posting a few weeks to late mate. Kyrgios, Zverev and even Coric are now showing that this whole theory was plain BS. This generation is just NOT good. And by the way, may I remind you the early results of Del Potro, who is just 2 years younger than Raonic?, Even Nishikori had good results as a teenager, before he got injured... How could the sport have changed so much in such a short time? I still think these guys will have their time, but it may well be veeeeery short.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and now we can safely say he is the new GOAT, as early as next year?
or was it Zverev? I am confused already.
You have to wait first if he reaches the SF here like Zverev. ;)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

I still don't get where this is coming from. Nadal/Murray/Djokovic all got into the top 10 as teenagers, not that long ago. We have to wait another 10 years to find out if this is true, or if it's just a case of an exceptionally weak generation.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is interesting that in this case we can try to compare which gen is "weaker" (the 89-91 gen of Nishikori/Dimitrov/Raonic or the 93+ of Zverev/Coric/Thiem/Kyrgios) because they are currently playing against some of the players that the older gen had played (the mix of the 25-35 aged players).

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
During the rule of the big 4 all generations are repressed, they can't express themselves. So the sooner these 4 oppressors are gone for good the better for tennis freedom.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It is interesting that in this case we can try to compare which gen is "weaker" (the 89-91 gen of Nishikori/Dimitrov/Raonic or the 93+ of Zverev/Coric/Thiem/Kyrgios) because they are currently playing against some of the players that the older gen had played (the mix of the 25-35 aged players).
Four years 93-97 is too big a span I guess, we can then as well add Delpo/Cilic/Dolgo(sept-nov. 88.), because Nishikori and Dimitrov are just 1.5 years apart, so it's either 93-95 Thiem/Kyrgios or 95-97 Kyrgios/Zverev/Coric.

I'd rather put 92-93-94 Tomic-Thiem together .

·
Registered
3,227 Posts

Do you have any evidence for this other than the players you mention, who seem to have improved somewhat this year?

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
There isn't much difference in the level of tennis currently played by Dimitrov, Nishikori, Gulbis or Wawrinka to this years' level of Federer, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic.

The differential is being experience in big matches. Those guys are more used to play the big matches. Wawrinka, for example, played pretty well vs. Djokovic last year, lost both. This year it was another 5th setter and he won.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts