Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will he go through a post-AO slump like in the previous 2 years?

Will this tight grand slam loss to a major rival make him tighter still against the top guys?

I think every big loss against a big player is very damaging. Look at what happened with Nadal vs Djokovic. The damage is also physical as well as psychological; Murray is older than Djokovic and has probably 12 months left of his life in which to win a slam.

If Murrays chances of winning a slam one day were so-so before today, I think they have now taken a significant hit.

Was Murrays body language as negative as it has been when he was down in the match?

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Being a SF I think it'll encourage and motivate him even more.

Had that been a final though I think he might have mentally lost it, perhaps even for good.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I don't think he'll slump....at least not nearly as bad as last year. Losing to Donald Young will end up one of his career lowlights.

But this loss to Djokovic doesn't help OR hurt his chances of winning a Slam. He never had a chance in the first place and that hasn't changed. Okay well I shouldn't say that....if Murray gets lucky and doesn't have to face Roger, Rafa, or Novak in a Slam and ends up playing Gael Monfils or Gilles Simon in a final, then he could win. But that just isn't gonna happen.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I don't think he'll slump....at least not nearly as bad as last year. Losing to Donald Young will end up one of his career lowlights.

But this loss to Djokovic doesn't help OR hurt his chances of winning a Slam. He never had a chance in the first place and that hasn't changed. Okay well I shouldn't say that....if Murray gets lucky and doesn't have to face Roger, Rafa, or Novak in a Slam and ends up playing Gael Monfils or Gilles Simon in a final, then he could win. But that just isn't gonna happen.
I woke up to get a glass of water at 4AM and I decided to sit down and watch some of the second set. The level that Murray displayed in that set tells me hes actually a lot closer to winning a Slam

The problem is, what I saw on the final set was a lot of pushing. Not sure if it was due to fatigue or what but he just got a lot more passive in the final set. Can Lendl help him overcome that?

·
29,645 Posts
I woke up to get a glass of water at 4AM and I decided to sit down and watch some of the second set. The level that Murray displayed in that set tells me hes actually a lot closer to winning a Slam

The problem is, what I saw on the final set was a lot of pushing. Not sure if it was due to fatigue or what but he just got a lot more passive in the final set. Can Lendl help him overcome that?
He did get passive but only in the 5-5 game, in particular the point Nole saved with the down the line FH, there were opportunities but he didn't pull the trigger.

The worst one was the backhand into the net.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
It was a devastating defeat, that's why I think he will copy last year. Only worse.
Rather, you hope that. This wasn't a final, so this won't be anywhere near as devastating as last year. He seems to be very pleased with how he played, so there won't be a slump this time, unfortunately for you :)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I dunno how it makes it likely.. All this shows is Murray is still just a headcase when it comes right down to it on the big stage.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
Rather, you hope that. This wasn't a final, so this won't be anywhere near as devastating as last year. He seems to be very pleased with how he played, so there won't be a slump this time, unfortunately for you :)
Ignorant kid. I actually wanted Murray to win today. But he failed again.
The problem is that probably he played his best match in a long time and still lost to a 70-80% Djokovic. This is Murray's peak, he is pretty old, can't see him improving that much in the future. He will always be in quarters or semis, just no further because of top 3. That simple.

·
Registered
22,291 Posts
0% + 0% = 0%

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
Ignorant kid. I actually wanted Murray to win today. But he failed again.
The problem is that probably he played his best match in a long time and still lost to a 70-80% Djokovic. This is Murray's peak, he is pretty old, can't see him improving that much in the future. He will always be in quarters or semis, just no further because of top 3. That simple.
You call me ignorant, yet you claim that this result will make Murray slump? He's very happy with this result, as it was a good loss (as good as a loss to Djokovic can be). Yet you continue to say he'll slump because of it? How ignorant of you.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
You call me ignorant, yet you claim that this result will make Murray slump? He's very happy with this result, as it was a good loss (as good as a loss to Djokovic can be). Yet you continue to say he'll slump because of it? How ignorant of you.
He won't tell the press that he is depressed.
But. He fought for nothing today. He played an awesome third set, arguably his best forehands in a long time. Then he tanked the 4th in a shameless way, it was a sin. Nobody can be happy after a lost semi, especially if he fought for 5 hours. Had he lost in 3 easy sets, it would be much easier.
I bet it will affect his results.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,447 Posts
He won't tell the press that he is depressed.
But. He fought for nothing today. He played an awesome third set, arguably his best forehands in a long time. Then he tanked the 4th in a shameless way, it was a sin. Nobody can be happy after a lost semi, especially if he fought for 5 hours. Had he lost in 3 easy sets, it would be much easier.
I bet it will affect his results.
More rubbish from you, which isn't unexpected. This was a good loss. Djokovic was lucky to escape. Says a lot about Murray, as I've said. He's clearly happy about the way he played the match, so don't expect a slump. I know you want one, but you'll have to suck it up.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Murray is closer winning a slam than all of you arseholes and doubters who keep asking the same questions. Let's see how far you would get playing in a slam. Murray will have a good chance in the remaining 3 slams this year aswell as in the next 3-4 years.

Deal with it. Same thing with Federer who can come back after AO defeat.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
More rubbish from you, which isn't unexpected. This was a good loss. Djokovic was lucky to escape. Says a lot about Murray, as I've said. He's clearly happy about the way he played the match, so don't expect a slump. I know you want one, but you'll have to suck it up.
You clearly don't know anything about the psychology of tennis. It is fucking devastating because it was a close one. Shows how ignorant you are that you thought it's good for him to lose a 5 hour long semi. Overall it was a worse loss than last year's final.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I haven't talked to Murray or listened to any interviews after the match, but if he's saying things like "This was a good loss" and "I'm happy with the way I lost this match", then it's worse than i've figured. That is just a loser mentality, which I have always suspected that Murray has. It makes things a lot clearer now looking back if this is the way he thinks.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
I haven't talked to Murray or listened to any interviews after the match, but if he's saying things like "This was a good loss" and "I'm happy with the way I lost this match", then it's worse than i've figured. That is just a loser mentality, which I have always suspected that Murray has. It makes things a lot clearer now looking back if this is the way he thinks.
Great point, actually the same what I think. Murray either still thinks it's just a learning curve or just trying to hide his real feelings, latter is more possible of course.
If he thinks he needs experience:lol: then thats just pathetic, considering he is almost 25 years old.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts