Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MONSOON season.
82,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bigwave:

So I've compiled a spreadsheet of this year's bagels and breadsticks at the ATP Tour level (and including Perth and Düsseldorf) and thought I'd share some of my findings with you.

Last tournament added: Cincinnati

Top 10 Bagels Served:

Code:
01. Novak Djokovic SRB [9]
02. Rafael Nadal SRB [6]
02. Janko Tipsarevic SRB [6]
04. Tomas Berdych CZE [5]
05. Gilles Simon FRA [4]
05. Juan Martin Del Potro ARG [4]
07. Mardy Fish USA [3]
07. Florian Mayer GER [3]
07. Tommy Robredo ESP [3]
07. Philipp Petzschner GER [3]
07. Andy Murray GBR [3]
07. David Ferrer ESP [3]
07. Marcel Granollers ESP [3]
Bottom 10 Bagels Eaten:

Code:
01. Radek Stepanek CZE [4]
02. Adrian Mannarino FRA [3]
02. Andrey Golubev KAZ [3] 
02. Pablo Andujar ESP [3]
02. Daniel Gimeno-Traver ESP [3]
02. Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo ESP [3]
02. Ryan Sweeting USA [3]
08. *
* 19 players ate two bagels.

Top 10 Breadsticks Served:

Code:
01. Novak Djokovic SRB [20] 
01. Rafael Nadal ESP [20]
03. David Ferrer ESP [18]
04. Andy Murray GBR [16]
05. Robin Söderling ESP [12]
06. Alexander Dolgopolov Jr. UKR [10]
06. Tomas Berdych CZE [10] 
08. Juan Ignacio Chela ARG [9]
08. Juan Martin Del Potro ARG [9]
08. Alex Bogomolov Jr. USA [9]
Bottom 10 Breadsticks Eaten:

Code:
01. Pablo Andujar ESP [10]
02. Florian Mayer GER [9]
02. Potito Starace ITA [9]
02. Alexander Dolgopolov Jr. UKR [9] 
05. Daniel Gimeno-Traver ESP [8]
05. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez ESP [8]
05. Filippo Volandri ITA [8]
08. Frederico Gil POR [7] 
08. Tobias Kamke GER [7]
08. Teymuraz Gabashvili RUS [7]
08. Jérémy Chardy FRA [7]

Reactions: Sonja1989

·
MONSOON season.
82,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the clearest thing these statistics illustrate is the waning of Federer's dominance. He is not in the Top 10 for either the bagels or breadsticks served :eek:

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
I think the clearest thing these statistics illustrate is the waning of Federer's dominance. He is not in the Top 10 for either the bagels or breadsticks served :eek:
he's getting too old for that shit...can't be bothered anymore to go for the humiliation and focus during all the return games, when he can serve it out just fine with one break.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Andujar is going to be the next Nalbandian if he keeps eating all those breadsticks and bagels!

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
he's getting too old for that shit...can't be bothered anymore to go for the humiliation and focus during all the return games, when he can serve it out just fine with one break.
He has an idiosyncratic definition of "fine" if that is the case.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Federer has never been a b&b machine, he used to win sets/matches with one break, in order to conserve as much energy as he could, especially in early stages of GS and that's one of the reasons of longevity.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
I find it intriguing (and surprising) that Bogo made the list of breadsticks served.
I'm even more amazed by Chela's presence.. but yeah those two do stand out.

Robredo having 3 bagels when he seems to have barely played this year is an achievement too.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Federer has never been a b&b machine, he used to win sets/matches with one break, in order to conserve as much energy as he could, especially in early stages of GS and that's one of the reasons of longevity.
At his peak he dished out a lot. Not as many as more return-oriented players do during their periods of dominance perhaps, but nonetheless a lot. He certainly served more bagels than anybody else in 2004 & I think 2006.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Probably yes, still I think he wasn't detroying his opponents on purpose, I guess it was more due to his effortless game or self-destruct of the guy on the other side of the net.
Usually Roger was careless after taking a lead with a break up and the other breaks were coming "spontaneously".
Of course you can find some exceptions like USO 2004 final, where Federer was aiming for an execution on Hewitt.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Probably yes, still I think he wasn't detroying his opponents on purpose, I guess it was more due to his effortless game or self-destruct of the guy on the other side of the net.
Usually Roger was careless after taking a lead with a break up and the other breaks were coming "spontaneously".
Of course you can find some exceptions like USO 2004 final, where Federer was aiming for an execution on Hewitt.
True. It was when he dialled-in & in the zone he would b&b opponents. At his peak though, he was dialled-in & in the zone frequently. Especially against poor old Hewitt.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm sorry but that's just not true. See the bagels thread I have compiled over on the statistics forum for confirmation (link in signature)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Dolgo and his breadsticks.

·
MONSOON season.
82,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm even more amazed by Chela's presence.. but yeah those two do stand out.

Robredo having 3 bagels when he seems to have barely played this year is an achievement too.
Robredo served them to Young, Mello and Venus. So not the toughest of opponents.

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
Top 10 Breadsticks Served:
Code:
01. Novak Djokovic SRB [20] 
01. Rafael Nadal ESP [20]
03. David Ferrer ESP [18]
04. Andy Murray GBR [16]
05. Robin Söderling ESP [12]
06. Alexander Dolgopolov Jr. UKR [10]
06. Tomas Berdych CZE [10] 
08. [B]Juan Ignacio Chela ARG [9][/B]
08. Juan Martin Del Potro ARG [9]
08. Alex Bogomolov Jr. USA [9]
:rocker2:

Well, Djoker is just in another league. 29 breadsticks and bagels in total. :worship:

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
True. It was when he dialled-in & in the zone he would b&b opponents. At his peak though, he was dialled-in & in the zone frequently. Especially against poor old Hewitt.
he always liked to play hewitt, there was nothing the australian had to hurt him but still made lots of balls back, albeit softly. just like fed likes them.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm sorry but that's just not true. See the bagels thread I have compiled over on the statistics forum for confirmation (link in signature)
What they are saying is, he never really tried for these super dominant scorelines, even if they happened every now and then. Sampras was even more like that - one break and then just cruise out the set. Sadly for Fed, the cruise control doesnt seem to work so well these days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts