Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the Olympics next year and I couldn't find another thread about the topic, so thought I'd just put one here. I've never seen Olympic tennis, even though I've enjoyed watching the Olympics since 1972, must not have much tennis coverage here in the US, so I wondered if anyone could explain how it works? How many players does each country send? How are the matches played out? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This could help...

To be eligible for participation in the Olympic Games, a competitor must comply with the Olympic Charter, as well as with the rules of the International Tennis Federation and must be entered by his/her NOC.

Singles
Sixty-four (64) athletes for each of the men’s singles and women’s singles will qualify as follows:
* 34 Direct qualifications based on the International World Ranking of June 9, 2008
* 14 ITF places (Final qualification places)
* 2 Tripartite Commission Invitation places (ITF, IOC, ANOC)
* 14 ITF places (Final qualification places)

The 14 Final qualification places shall be determined by ITF for the men’s and women’s singles event and shall be based on the following factors: a) recognized World Ranking; b) whether the country (region) is represented in the tennis competition; c) number of players on site and d) geographical location.

A National Association/National Olympic Committee who has more than four (4) players eligible for direct acceptance into the singles event should select its four (4) highest ranked eligible players based on the computer ranking.

Any player nominated and accepted for the singles event will automatically be eligible for selection for the doubles event.

Tripartite Commission Invitation places (ITF, IOC, ANOC): Two Tripartite Commission Invitation places will be made available for eligible nations in both the men’s and women’s singles events.

The deadline for NOCs to submit their requests for Tripartite Commission Invitation places is November 15, 2007. The allocation of Invitation places will be confirmed, in writing, to the NOCs from April to July 2008.

Doubles
There will be 32 teams in each of the doubles events; each NOC may have a maximum of 2 teams.

Ten (10) players will receive automatic acceptance into the men’s and women’s doubles events at the Beijing 2008 Olympic tennis competition, based on the recognized international doubles computer rankings of June 9, 2008, assuming that their partners have a recognized ranking and have been entered by his/her respective NOC.

Further teams will then receive direct acceptance into the events taking into account their recognized international singles and doubles computer rankings up to a total of 24 teams. ITF shall select the 8 teams based on the following: a) recognized World Ranking; b) whether the country (region) is represented in the Tennis competition; c) number of players on site and d) geographical location.

And as far as the 'how are the matches played out' is concerned, they will be three setters without final set tie breakers. The finals (both singles and doubles) will be five setters without final set tiebreakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts