Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking he wins 2-3 titles this year...MAX.

His form at the AO so far has been questionable and if it continues it may affect his claycourt season as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts

His form at the AO so far has been questionable and if it continues it may affect his claycourt season as well.
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Seriously though....

We won't know how many titles he will win until clay season starts

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
Evidently I'm watching a different tournament, since his form has been pretty good albeit against fairly weak opposition thus far, he's made a final of an event before getting here and backed up his QF appearance of last year with a good chance to go deeper.

How you base that this might be a poor year for him on THAT is what I'd like to know.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Never in doubt.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I really don´t see what suggests he´s out of form. The Chennai final was not about his form or abilities, the guy was a wreck after his semifinal match. Since then he´s been consistent and playing pretty well, IMO. If he stays injury-free, I can´t see why this season would be a bad one for him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
wow its only weeks into the long season and you are already calling it. You must be able to see into the future... say when will Rafa retire, get married and have kids?

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Lack of competition and not amazing form or not, it seems absurd to suggest that it would be anyone's worst season immediately in the midst of their BEST start to it.

·
Registered
770 Posts

Totally agree. He only made it to the Final in Chennai, whereas he made it all the way to the Semis last season. And he's only made it to the QFs in Melbourne. Pretty pathetic.

If this is any indication of how his season is going to go, he should just schedule a press conference and announce his retirement now.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

*sigh*
And I suppose Wimbledon 2007 was Rafa's worst grass court tournament ever, considering he almost lost twice in the early rounds and was mere games away from the title there.

Right?

·
Registered
833 Posts

I just think that he should reconcile himself to
the fact that he will have a short career and that the only slams he
will win be on clay. There's no point in trying to play on surfaces which actually reward tennis skills.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just think that he should reconcile himself to
the fact that he will have a short career and that the only slams he
will win be on clay. There's no point in trying to play on surfaces which actually reward tennis skills.
Right, such as grass. It's meaningless that he is the only man to take Federer to 5 sets in his living room since he first won the title in 2003. Pfft, right?

He's top 2 on grass, #1 on clay, and #3 or 4 on hardcourts. He plays two brands of tennis. He can win on any surface with his retrieving game whether he's playing well or not -as long as he's well-rested-. His "other" game is more high risk and he can win or lose to either Federer or Djokovic playing it if they play their best. But he must be playing well to win with his high-risk game.

His bad results in the late-summer hardcourt swing are as much about his body being worn out as they are about his disdain for hardcourts. That's why his results in Miami and Indian Wells are always pretty good, even with one title.

But, if he can play the tennis he played at Indian Wells and Wimbledon last year, all year long (less perhaps the clay season) then he can win matches more quickly and be fresh for later rounds, unlike some results in recent memory.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts