Discussion Starter #1
r1 1996 Kafelnikov
r2 1998 Moya
r3 2002 Costa
r4 2003 Ferrero
qf 1992 Courier
sf 1995 Muster
f 2000 Guga

Can Nadal do it against this draw from hell?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Um Yes, he beats all of those in straight sets. I don't think you understand how much better Nadal is on clay than anyone ever...

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
He might have the most trouble vs Muster, but it's still a 4 sets win.

·
Registered
409 Posts
2008 Nadal is one of the best versions of Nadal on clay. Anything post 2010 vs this draw would be a much better matchup with Nadal failing to get through.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I would love to see Rafa 2008\13 against prime claycourters.What a war that could've been

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
R1 : 6-4 6-3 6-3
R2 : 6-4 6-1 6-0
R3 : 6-1 6-2 6-1
R4 : 6-4 6-2 6-4
QF : 6-3 6-1 6-1
SF : 7-5 6-4 6-2
F : 6-4 7-5 6-4

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
2008 Nadal is one of the best versions of Nadal on clay..
No one questions that that was the best version of any clay player, ever.
Not even the best of Borg or Kuerten come close to that.

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
On paper it looks like a tough draw. But let's face it: the clay king in peak form wouldn't have much trouble manoeuvring how way through it to a RG title. Easy peasy for Rafa.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Only prime kuerten or coria(if mentally strong) could have beaten nadal on 2008. But they have like 20% chance max.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No one questions that that was the best version of any clay player, ever.
Not even the best of Borg or Kuerten come close to that.
Borg can't be compared because he played in the era of wooden racquets. Which is why we would never be able to analyse how that matchup would've occurred.

Kuerten would have definitely won a few against Nadal. He is the only 1HBH that I would see troubling Nadal. The guy was such a natural on the surface, he schooled peak Fed on RG despite playing with a handicapped hip after surgery in 05. Not even Nadal could've done that.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
He could have done it but not sure If he would. Beating 7 great peaking players in succession requires sustained great level, stamina and maybe some luck (hoping that they don't redline like crazy and he's not a few percent off). He would be favoured against each of these players of course but would he overcome a combo of 7? Even If we give him 95% chance of victory in each of r1, r2, r3 and 90% in each of R4, QF, SF and 80% in the final his overall probability of winning would be just 50%. A toss-up.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
The thing with clay is the better clay atg generally will straight set a slightly less clay courter atg since it’s just a battle of who can moonball better and outlast the opponent and no one is better at that than Dull so Dull would prob straight set everyone or maybe drop a set to someone like Kuerten. To beat Dull on clay, you have to play skillful offensive tennis at a very high level and keep that up the whole match. In bo5, next to impossible which is why Dull has lost only 2 matches at RG and he wasn’t exactly in good form in either of those. Soderling still deserves full credit tho. Faker did well too but Dull was cum in 2015.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Borg can't be compared because he played in the era of wooden racquets. Which is why we would never be able to analyse how that matchup would've occurred.

Kuerten would have definitely won a few against Nadal. He is the only 1HBH that I would see troubling Nadal. The guy was such a natural on the surface, he schooled peak Fed on RG despite playing with a handicapped hip after surgery in 05. Not even Nadal could've done that.
I tend to agree to all of this. In that sense (post wooden rackets, with modern strings) only Nadal and Kuerten are the modern clay ATGs, as they are the only ones winning more than 2 RGs post 1989.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I tend to agree to all of this. In that sense (post wooden rackets, with modern strings) only Nadal and Kuerten are the modern clay ATGs, as they are the only ones winning more than 2 RGs post 1989.
Why do you think Kuerten is better than Djokovic on clay? Absent Nadal, Djokovic would likely have more RGs than Kuerten. And with a good Nadal overlapping, I don't think Kuerten would have any. It's hard to just compare titles when we have a statistical anomaly like Nadal throwing that off entirely.

I also actually think Thiem's best level on clay might be higher than anyone's short of Nadal (I am not saying he is the 'greatest' match player etc but just the sheer level he can bring when he is clubbing every ball is insane and more fearsome than anything I saw from Kuerten).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
One on one Nadal is obviously a match for all of these guys, but playing all seven of them back to back? It would take someone unhuman to get through that draw. Even straight set wins would be physically draining.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts