Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Davis Cup by BNP Paribas
World Group Semi Final
19 September - 21 September 2008

Estadio Parque Roca, Buenos Aires

Argentina vs Russia

TEAM NOMINATIONS
Team Argentina:
David Nalbandian, Juan Martín Del Potro, Agustín Calleri and Guillermo Cañas.
Team Russia:
Nikolay Davydenko, Igor Andreev, Dmitry Tursunov and Igor Kunitsyn

·
Registered
26,748 Posts
The team will be: Davydenko, Youzhny, Tursunov and Safin.

I guess the Serbian team will be: Djokovic, Tipsarevic, Troicki and Zimonjic.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I hope Marat does not play any live singles rubbers. It's too huge a risk, although seeing him defeat Tipsarevic or Nole under pressure could be totaly undescribable.

The tie seems unpredictabe to me.

1. Nowak will probably win both singles matches, although might Misha pull off a miracle win?
2. Russia should win both matches against Tipsarevic, but damn, he's so dangerous. And for some reason i dunno about Davy. I tend to under-rate him.
3. Russia might have a slight edge in the doubles, unless Nole and Tipsarevich play for Serbia, in which case the edge is questionable.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
The two nations have yet to meet since Serbia became an independent country. They met three times when Serbia was part of Yugoslavia and Russia currently holds a 2-1 lead. Yugoslavia won their last encounter 3-2 in Belgrade in the World Group first round in 1986.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
According to Itar-Tass, Tarpi says that it'll be really tough to meet two current AO champions (Nole and Zimonic (mixed doubles)).

Go, Russia :woohoo:

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
According to Itar-Tass, Tarpi says that it'll be really tough to meet two current AO champions (Nole and Zimonic (mixed doubles)).
No shit Sherlock :lol:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
:haha: Yeah, but see the mental games - The Tarpi admits it'd be tough, wonder what he has in mind this time :p

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
special secret training for Mitya in Israel :p
:haha: I can't wait for Mitya's comment on this special program :devil:

·
Burned-out Safin fan
18,127 Posts
I hope Marat does not play any live singles rubbers. It's too huge a risk, although seeing him defeat Tipsarevic or Nole under pressure could be totaly undescribable.

1. Nowak will probably win both singles matches, although might Misha pull off a miracle win?
2. Russia should win both matches against Tipsarevic, but damn, he's so dangerous. And for some reason i dunno about Davy. I tend to under-rate him.
3. Russia might have a slight edge in the doubles, unless Nole and Tipsarevich play for Serbia, in which case the edge is questionable.
1. ditto
2. yes he is. and ditto
3. here I've no idea what to expect :shrug:

Go, Russia :woohoo:
oh I had forgotten about Nenad.

:scared:

No shit Sherlock :lol:
:spit:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
special secret training for Mitya in Israel :p
It hit me!!!! Tarpi trained Mitya as mixed doubles player to confuse Zimonic :worship:

·
Registered
270 Posts

1. YES to Novak.
2. Tipsarevic will have such a boost from nearly beating Federer, don't expect him to go down easy to any Russian player. He has improved steadily over the last year.
3. Edge? Are you kidding? The Serbs have one of the world's best Doubles players in Nenad Zimonjic, maybe you forgot about him!

Unlike you Vassily, I hope Marat plays Singles rubbers (how else is he gonna get any match practice? Not through his shitty tournament scheduling for sure...:() and I'd like to see him beat Tipsarevic as revenge for RG 2007 - and that would be the only win for Russia.

Serbia 4-1 (sorry to all the Russian ladies here :kiss:).

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I say 3-2 Russia (just because I am always so patriotic and so idiotically optimistic :rolls: ) and Marat wins the decisive rubber ... he always does :lol:

Reactions: Vass

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
World Group first round nominations
The ITF has announced the team nominations for the first round of the 2008 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group, to be played on 8-10 February

RUSSIA v SERBIA
Venue: Small Sports Arena "Luzhniki", Moscow (hard - indoors)

Russia
Nikolay Davydenko
Mikhail Youzhny
Dmitry Tursunov
Marat Safin
Captain: Shamil Tarpischev

Serbia
Novak Djokovic
Janko Tipsarevic
Viktor Troicki
Nenad Zimonjic
Captain: Bogdan Obradovic

Reactions: MariaV

·
Registered
270 Posts
I say 3-2 Russia (just because I am always so patriotic and so idiotically optimistic :rolls: ) and Marat wins the decisive rubber ... he always does :lol:
For that to happen they would need you, your cheering and your flag ;)

But Marat for decisive rubber sounds lovely (ah, those fond memories, LOL!):worship:

·
Burned-out Safin fan
18,127 Posts
1. YES to Novak.
2. Tipsarevic will have such a boost from nearly beating Federer, don't expect him to go down easy to any Russian player. He has improved steadily over the last year.
3. Edge? Are you kidding? The Serbs have one of the world's best Doubles players in Nenad Zimonjic, maybe you forgot about him!

Unlike you Vassily, I hope Marat plays Singles rubbers (how else is he gonna get any match practice? Not through his shitty tournament scheduling for sure...:() and I'd like to see him beat Tipsarevic as revenge for RG 2007 - and that would be the only win for Russia.

Serbia 4-1 (sorry to all the Russian ladies here :kiss:).
That's what I fear too, about Tipsarevic. :unsure: and Nenand indeed will be a very tough opponent in the doubles.
I see Serbia as the favourite (3-2 maybe), but I'll be cheering for Russia anyway :angel:

·
Registered
26,748 Posts
It's such a shame they won't show it here. I guess I should be satisfied if they show some of Romania-France. Last year they showed only 2 matches (and we were "lucky" that Clément/Llodra managed to lose somehow, otherwise it would have been only one. :tape: ).

·
Burned-out Safin fan
18,127 Posts
It's such a shame they won't show it here. I guess I should be satisfied if they show some of Romania-France. Last year they showed only 2 matches (and we were "lucky" that Clément/Llodra managed to lose somehow, otherwise it would have been only one. :tape: ).
I'm really fed up with that. They've already stopped showing tournaments, all we have left is DC and not only is it only if France's still playing, but now every DC week end there are always some other sports events they give the priority to.:rolleyes: It's 4 week ends maximum in the year, but nooooooooo they prefer to show rugby, cycling, ice-skating, whatever is on and that they show at other moments in the year :rolleyes:
Usually all I can see for sure is the doubles. It's cool, Clement/Llodra are good, but really if they could show all the singles (even on Friday!) that'd be very appreciated

1 - 20 of 434 Posts