Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched the 2007 Wimbledon for the zillion th time and I still don't understand why people talk about this match like it's one of the greatest Grand Slam finals we have ever seen.
I mean the level of play was mediocre from Federer. He played extremely passive, he let Nadal dictate the play in almost all the rallys even on his own service games. The only good thing about him during that match was his serve. Don't get wrong Nadal played very well and pushed Federer hard until the 5th set. But wow he looked so flat footed their much like in his US Open final against Djokovic. The fifth set was vintage Federer but for the rest ???

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's not always about the quality of the tennis. It's about tension, clutch stuff, context, guts and so on. I've been watching slam tournament finals, mainly Wimbledon (being a Brit), for many years, and very few stick out in the mind - 1980 McEnroe/Borg does, of course, as does Rafter/Sampras a few years ago, and Becker winning at 17 having come through as a qualifier in 1985. But generally, they're fairly forgettable.

Last year's final was special, for me at any rate, and is right up there as one of the most exciting finals I've ever seen. The tennis was high-quality at times - Nadal played his butt off and Federer suddenly got gutsy and went into the zone in the 5th having been so iffy for 4 and a bit sets and having a mental meltdown in the 4th. It was the tension of it that was so special - historically important, so much riding on it for both players, Fed in particular, and so much to win, so much to lose either way.

There aren't many matches that really stand out, but this was one of them, as far as I'm concerned, because it had everything.... in spades.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I agree. It was decent but not what everyone makes it out to be. Fed was nowhere near his best and I think Nadal can play better.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not always about the quality of the tennis. It's about tension, clutch stuff, context, guts and so on. I've been watching slam tournament finals, mainly Wimbledon (being a Brit), for many years, and very few stick out in the mind - 1980 McEnroe/Borg does, of course, as does Rafter/Sampras a few years ago, and Becker winning at 17 having come through as a qualifier in 1985. But generally, they're fairly forgettable.

Last year's final was special, for me at any rate, and is right up there as one of the most exciting finals I've ever seen. The tennis was high-quality at times - Nadal played his butt off and Federer suddenly got gutsy and went into the zone in the 5th having been so iffy for 4 and a bit sets and having a mental meltdown in the 4th. It was the tension of it that was so special - historically important, so much riding on it for both players, Fed in particular, and so much to win, so much to lose either way.

There aren't many matches that really stand out, but this was one of them, as far as I'm concerned, because it had everything.... in spades.
I agree that for some viewers it was like a roller coaster but when you look beyond it wasn't really impressive. I think that the 2004 final against Roddick was a far better match quality wise and entertainment wise. It only lacked that fifth set witch would have made it one of the better Wimbledon finals of the last decade.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I rewatch it alone due to the awesome quality of the HD version, which some generous soul uploaded. :worship:
I admit that I wasn't really blown away by the quality of play, though.

·
Registered
874 Posts
AO 2005 Safin vs Federer is probably the best GS match in recent years, if you want to talk about drama, suspense and quality of play.

But I also feel like Wimbledon 2007 was Federer's ticket into the pantheon of greats so it was pretty significant as well. Nadal was playing to win one more match whereas Fed was playing for the right to be mentioned in the GOAT conversation, so the stakes were much much higher for Roger. Basically it's your typical sports movie fodder but in terms of quality of play, nothing fantastic.

I thought the best match of 2007 was Gasquet versus Roddick in Wimbledon, for the sheer beauty of shotmaking and the winners to errors ratios of both players.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
I just watched the 2007 Wimbledon for the zillion th time and I still don't understand why people talk about this match like it's one of the greatest Grand Slam finals we have ever seen.
I think the majority rates the match so high because of the drama :) It was the first 5 sets match between both players in a Grand Slam final and each one could write history in it. Nadal to become the first player since Borg to win Roland Garros and Wimbledon back to back and Federer to equal Borgs Wimbledon record. Add to this the course of the match: Federer winning the tiebreaks, Nadal to get his sets more convincingly. Then Rafas problems with his knees and Rogers despair with the hawkeye. Nadal having double breakpoints twice in the 5th set and Federer turning around the match in that situation.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I mean the level of play was mediocre from Federer. He played extremely passive, he let Nadal dictate the play in almost all the rallys even on his own service games. The only good thing about him during that match was his serve. Don't get wrong Nadal played very well and pushed Federer hard until the 5th set. But wow he looked so flat footed their much like in his US Open final against Djokovic. The fifth set was vintage Federer but for the rest ???
I couldn't agree more. I stand completely speachless when people go on and on about what a fantastic match it was. Sure, it was tight and exciting, but in terms of level of play? Federer played - by his own grass court standards - rather shitty for most of the match. No doubt, Nadal did very well to take advantage of that, but still, that does not change that the level of play from Federer just wasn't very high.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
It was because it was a five set thriller, which either of them could have won. It was the potential upsetting of Roger's five straight wins at Wimbledon too

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
Little bit overrated, yes, I think.

Mainly, in my view, because of the relief of seeing Roger dragged to a 5th set in a major final at the 11th time of asking.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I agree that the 2007 Wimbledon final was overrated. In my opinion the 2006 Rome final between the same two players is also overrated. Many people place the 2005 and 2006 Rome finals in the same bracket as each other, but as far as I'm concerned the 2005 final was a considerably better match.

·
Registered
27,358 Posts
This match was always going to be overrated. A 5 set match between Rafa and Federer in a GS final.

Never in doubt.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,415 Posts
the drama makes matches more memorable
see also the 2004 RG final which despite the poor quality of play had everything else to be a memorable match: unseeded champ, comeback, choking, cramps, injury time out and so on

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
that 5th set was great....that's all i can comment on since i was at church for 4 sets lol

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
I agree that the 2007 Wimbledon final was overrated. In my opinion the 2006 Rome final between the same two players is also overrated. Many people place the 2005 and 2006 Rome finals in the same bracket as each other, but as far as I'm concerned the 2005 final was a considerably better match.
:yeah:

In terms of quality, Federer and Nadals best clay match was MC '06. That was Nadal at his ABSOLUTE best and Federer did well to stretch him so far. The fourth set was absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hrmm the fifth set was top notch from both. Nadal had BP after BP and was playing out of his mind - the 6-2 was very harsh. And in the fifth, Fed was finally starting to play some aggressive tennis.

The first 4 sets were average - Rafa & Fed have played better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts