Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming Roger Skywalker does not have an utter and humiliating collapse at the year-end championships, I would argue that 2007 has been the BEST and MOST IMPRESSIVE year of his career. Why? Plain and simple. He faced challenges from all quarters...and came out on top.

At the AO, he faced a man in the finals who had made no more than a handful of unforced errors in the quarters and semis.

At Wimbledon, he played a man who could have and probably should have won the Wimbledon title...by saving four break points (two points in two service games) in a fifth set. And doing just enough to "gut" out a five set victory.

At the U.S. Open, he saved a total of SEVEN set points in the first two sets...and defeated Darth Cheater in STRAIGHT SETS.

As the saying goes, the cream rises to the top. I will be the first to agree...over the years, except for the brother of Donatello, Michaelangelo, and Leonardo, Roger has pretty much faced one dimensional cowards who have displayed no heart, brain, or skill to challenge Federer...allowing a man who can play both in the backcourt and forecourt to simply become a spectacular shot-making baseliner. THIS YEAR, he was forced to the abyss...and had to rely on experience, guile, and WILL to overcome the challenges he faced.

In another thread on this forum, it has been noted: Roger's point lead is less than 1000 points. This IS significant...in that it reveals two things: Roger's utter dominance is at an end...and the competition is becoming stronger and stronger.

Will he lose the top ranking this year? I would say he probably will. However, if this is the final year for him at the top...he went out in a manner that silenced this critic. A critic of not only Mr. Federer as a legendary player...but also a staunch critic of so appropriately defined by Meditor.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Yeah, one could argue that 2007 featured the most fearsome competition and talent level ever and Fed still probably goes 69-8 with 3 slams, 2 MS, TMC and 2 other titles. Definitely a tossup with 2006's 92-5. If he manages to only duplicate this result in 2008, I'll consider that amazing.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
When Roger overcame the 15-40 abyss 2x in that 5th set, I became a true believer in his all-time mental toughness. He's right up there with Gretzky, Jordan, Montana and Woods as ultimate clutch performers.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's right up there with Gretzky, Jordan, Montana and Woods as ultimate clutch performers.
Don't forget about Muhammad Ali.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Don't forget about Muhammad Ali.
Actually only Jordan(6-0 in NBA finals), Montana(4-0 in Super Bowls) and Woods(12-0 in the final pairing of a major) are the ultimate clutch performers:

Gretzky, only 4-2 in Cup finals.
Federer, lost 2 French finals.
Ali lost several heavyweight title bouts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You really think his reign is coming to an end......why? cause he lost to two different players twice in the period of two weeks....PLEEEEEEEEASE......there is sooo much inconsistency after the #2 ranking,one minute the players ranked between 3 and 30 are winning matches then LOOSING them just as FAST... at least Federer and Nadal take care of business as far as defending points and winning slams.....THE REST STIIIIIILLLL HAVE TO PROVE THEMSELVES.....nalbadian had a great two weeks, no one can take that away from him......and as arrogant as i think roger has become, like he has stated in the past....CAN any of these players win CONSISTENTLY THROUGHOUT THE SEASON (except for nadal on clay).....that STILL REMAINS to be seen.....then we can start to talk about rankings changing, but until then......DONT GET AHEAD OF YOURSELF.....FACE IT, U ARE WITNESSING HISTORY WHETHER U LIKE IT OR NOT!!!!!

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
When Roger overcame the 15-40 abyss 2x in that 5th set, I became a true believer in his all-time mental toughness. He's right up there with Gretzky, Jordan, Montana and Woods as ultimate clutch performers.
Woods has never come from behind to win a major though.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Woods has never come from behind to win a major though.
So is 12-2 better then 13-0, because Fed came from behind once(2006 AO vs Baggy)? Coming for behind(in terms of sets) is overrated. Much better to be utterly dominant.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually only Jordan(6-0 in NBA finals), Montana(4-0 in Super Bowls) and Woods(12-0 in the final pairing of a major) are the ultimate clutch performers:

Gretzky, only 4-2 in Cup finals.
Federer, lost 2 French finals.
Ali lost several heavyweight title bouts.
To not include Ali in that list...is borderline certifiable. To be honest with you (not to compare sports), but Roger is NOWHERE near the clutch performer Ali was.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
So is 12-2 better then 13-0, because Fed came from behind once(2006 AO vs Baggy)? Coming for behind(in terms of sets) is overrated. Much better to be utterly dominant.
Yeah, but what I mean is he wasn't clutch when he was behind. This year, in the first two majors, he missed a number of puts that he could have made but just wasn't clutch enough.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
If Woods had been even more clutch, he'd be sitting on 15 majors already, ridiculous...

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
2006 was the most impressive in terms of quality.

i think 2008 may the most impressive esp if some of the younger guys and nalbandian can come up big.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Numbers say that 2006 was the most impressive.

i think 2008 may the most impressive esp if some of the younger guys and nalbandian can come up big.
That reminds me, I have a thread to bump.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts

I think 2006 was a much more dominant year.

·
Registered
18,871 Posts
2006 was maybe a much more dominant year, but 2007 has seen indeed a much tougher competition, with very strong players like Djokovic, Murray, Gonzalez (AO especially), Youzhny has played great in parts, Canas, Gasquet (inconsistently though) and now Nalbandian:). And Nadal was stronger than ever during the clay season, and at Wimbledon of course.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
2008 - looking forward to more piggy roasting courtesy the FedBot!

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
What can you say about the master, always comes up on trumps on most occasions, and I think he played pretty good this season minus a few hiccups there and then, I expect him to have a better season than this year, adding on points at Indian wells-Miami and some other tournaments, and prove to all those jokers and pretenders who the real champ is.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This, IMHO, is not a good thread. And for this reason. It is simply not logical to state that, because Roger's matches have been closer, his competition has been tougher. This strange theory actually makes it better to win matches by less, and bad to win with bagels (because this "proves" that the competition was weak - of course, it does no such thing). Ridiculous. I think this idea - that total domination proves weak competition rather than a great player - comes from the Pete diehards, who have always been desperate to explain away the fact that Roger has better W/L records than Pete did at his peak.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts