Mens Tennis Forums banner

2007 MTF Bandwagon Player of the Year?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has come down to this time of the year, where the 2007 Bandwagon Player of the Year is going to be chosen by the MTF faithful.

There are 4 candidates for this award and all of them have in common the fact that they have had huge bandwagons for all different reasons.

Djokovic- He had his fans at the start of 2007, but there weren't a huge mass of them, that were really noticeable, though as soon as his results started getting better, then a whole lot of people came out of the woodwork and joined the forum. Many probably hadn't seen him play before and few probably didn't know what he looked like at the start of 2007.

He didn't win any monthly awards, but he had a lot of consistency throughout the year. He should have won the August one, but when Isner made the final of Washington in his 2nd event, there were around 12 or 13 threads on the 1st page and this is someone most people couldn't pick out of a crowd and are Isnertards, but that one died so no yearly nomination.

Nalbandian aka Nalbandwagon: Written off as fat, useless, doesn't care about the game, more interested in rally racing, food and fishing, plus writing outstanding ATP blogs.

This is a resurgence that has left the loyal fans a bit bemused, now Nalbandian was the favourite for an event he wasn't even a part of (Shanghai) and that takes skill. Many of the same people that wrote him off, now expect him to win Slams and who can beat Nalbandian when he is playing his best. The classic bandwagon stuff.

Sampras - The Sampras fans who can't let it go that he was dominant force in his time, but the time has passed. Comes out and plays 3 exhos with Federer and idiots take the results seriously and the Sampras bandwagon was huge especially when he won one of the matches.

Looking at the various reactions from many of the morons who think Sampras would be top 5 today and actually taking exho results seriously. It says more about them that a retired guy who has been out of the game for 5 years, plays a bit of hit and giggle and Federer lets him win a match, brought out the worst in Fedtard paranoia and Sampras fans who can't let it go.

Ferrer - Probably won't win it, but the whole Pics thing has bandwagon status. Little David Ferrer was hardly known about and had been improving his game for 2 years, then this clown asked for Nalbandian photos aka Pics for David, but got Ferrer instead and the name stuck.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2007 MTF Bandwagon Player of the Year?

The Sampras one was special.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

Isner should definetely be in there.

As for the poll, I'm undecided between Nalbandian and Sampras. It's the GOAT and the future-GOAT after all.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Isner died down too soon.

·
Your visions will happen
48,898 Posts

Djokovic is the bandwagon equivilent of Federer.

Consistent throughout the year, always gaining, and at the end, on top

Nalbandian is the...., well, Nalbandwagon of it :lol:

A very recent surge that will go away just as fast when he doesnt win AO.

Djoko on the other hand will dominate the sport for 10 years, and having ezekiel as your leadman just puts it over the edge

·
Your visions will happen
48,898 Posts

Also, the green intellitext is hilarious. Check what it said when i scrolled on it :lol:

Search for images of ferrer :lol:

If it had said pics, i would have died :lol:

·
Registered
5,572 Posts

Djokovic bandwagon was pretty consistent during the year and it wasn't really a surprise kind of thing.

Sampras bandwagon is probably more a joke than anything else (i hope :unsure: )

Ferrer didn't actually beat Federer and win the TMC so he's also out.

That leaves me with Nalbandian who is the true essense of the bandwagon, He was a fat idiot who should retire as late as in Vienna and then all of a sudden in 3 weeks he was a champion, better than Federer, next numer 1 and winner of the golden slam next year. If this is not bandwagon then i don't know what it is.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts

The new Internet Explorer is horrible. I still have the old one with the old fashioned menu and sans the cruddy google toolbar. Oh, yeah...

Oh and it's Sampras, although I must say that I would have voted for Nadal had he been up in the poll. It's really a whirlwind with him. He's either finished or the best ever.

Reactions: MCL

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

I think Canas at Indian Wells/Miami and Gonzalez at the Australian Open had a bigger bandwagon than Sampras. Sampras's bandwagon is more of a joke and is included more because it happened recently whereas the other two were very early in the year. Admittedly, I don't remember Djokovic's bandwagon very well from Miami, most of the trinity talk at Montreal and the U.S Open was where it reached its peak and then the backlash started mainly because of Djokovic's injury timeouts, long matches, ball bouncing and the media hype surrounding him.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

Come to think of it Canas should be part of the poll, his bandwagon may have stopped in the second half of the year but it was the biggest thing for months earlier in 2007.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

Yeah, Canas was apparently one of the favourites for the French Open. Federer fans were scared of seeing him anywhere in the draw anywhere near Canas, even as far as on the same half but different quarter. People that didn't like Federer or his domination were constantly hoping for both of them to be in the same part of the draw.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Canas still isn't any bigger than the Djokovic or the Nalbandian one.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts

I vote for Federer, three slams won again plus a roland garros final,the masters cup and three master series titles .every time after a loss they said he was finished and playing like a crap :lol: :retard:

·
Banned
105 Posts

Djokovic seems to go supported even after his most disgusting sportsmanship on court throughout, that surely deserves an award. Who could support such a bad cheater at the end of the year?

·
Registered
14,747 Posts

I voted for FitDave. "when Nalby's playing his best, NOBODY can beat him." classic.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts