Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else who thinks that now isnt the best time in atp-history?
Federer has no rivals. Ok he is very good and Nadal challenge him on a very high level but after that?

I think the most part o the 90es were so much more interesting.
Sampras lost much more matches than Federer but he had much more steady/competitave/talented opponents:
-Edberg, Becker, Stich, Krajicek, Ivanisevic, Courier, Chang, Rafter, Agassi, Ferreira, Martin, Muster, Kafelnikov, Rios, Korda, Bruguera, Medvedev etc...

Federer's more talented opponents are fewer.

Is it the slower courts/balls that helps Federer to be such dominating?
I think so. Noone can hurt him in any way. Think it should be more interesting to give advantage to players that wants to attack and go to net. It should be more variating tennis. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Federer has no rivals. Ok he is very good and Nadal challenge him on a very high level but after that?

I think the most part o the 90es were so much more interesting.
Sampras lost much more matches than Federer but he had much more steady/competitave/talented opponents:
-Edberg, Becker, Stich, Krajicek, Ivanisevic, Courier, Chang, Rafter, Agassi, Ferreira, Martin, Muster, Kafelnikov, Rios, Korda, Bruguera, Medvedev etc...

Federer's more talented opponents are fewer.

I think so. Noone can hurt him in any way. Think it should be more interesting to give advantage to players that wants to attack and go to net. It should be more variating tennis. What do you think?

I think those DC courts must be pretty fast: Semis has two huge servers in Roddick & Monfils, and two guys over 6'9" who serve and volley.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Serve voley is dead because of raquet technology more than anythin else. It wouldnt work on Federer anyway.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Federer excels on faster surfaces, look at his hardcourt record..

And the nineties were definitely not an age of variating tennis...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Federer has not as talented opponents that Sampras had.
Its only fact that good players are coming and going and right now its not as good as the period in the 90s. Look at my list of players.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Guys like Djokovic,Gasquet and Murray will all challenge him in 1 or 2 years ,mark my word.

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
Serve voley is dead because of raquet technology more than anythin else. It wouldnt work on Federer anyway.
Wrong, slower courts are a major difference.

Federer excels on faster surfaces, look at his hardcourt record..

And the nineties were definitely not an age of variating tennis...
The nineties had much more variety than today: 99% baseline rallies on ALL TOURNAMENTS.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Wrong, slower courts are a major difference.

The nineties had much more variety than today: 99% baseline rallies on ALL TOURNAMENTS.
huh?

rusedski was in the top 10...the guy couldnt hit three grounstrokes in a row. goran, krajicek are as deficient from the baseline as today's players are at net.

i agree that they should speed up the courts from wimbledon onwards but the variety in the 90's vastly overrated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thinks Krajicek were more allround than Ivanisevic. Rusedski played smart. Like Noah that manage long after his period because serve/volley...

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
I don't think that tennis is all that exciting lately either. :shrug:

After Fed and Rafa, it's all mediocre tennis.

I think that Nole and Gasquet and a couple others will be the future...but they have a bit of a way to go.

But just my humble opinion. :shrug: :lol:

·
Registered
21,224 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts