Mens Tennis Forums banner

141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
PaulieM said:
um irakli's going all the way to #1. thanks.:p
Irakli will not have the consistency, but he will win a Slam next year.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
Irakli will not have the consistency, but he will win a Slam next year.
no clue what you're talking about, irakli is very consistent, he manages to lose consitently, surely he can turn things around next year and win consistently. it's all about thinking positively.:)

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
PaulieM said:
no clue what you're talking about, irakli is very consistent, he manages to lose consitently, surely he can turn things around next year and win consistently. it's all about thinking positively.:)
He is just not as good as the 2006 Wimbledon champ, not to disrepect Labadze as he will win the AO, but Oscar Hernandez is going to be the star of 2006.

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Sjengster said:
This is another prime piece of :bs: If Nadal's only won titles because of his foot speed, why is it that Hewitt and Coria, two equally quick players, are a combined 0-11 against Federer in the last 18 months? You don't think that anything Nadal does with the ball might make a difference when he plays Federer? Roger said last year that it's easy to get the rhythm against Hewitt because he hits "nice and flat"; with the topspin coming off Nadal's forehand his timing is destroyed and his shots end up being shanked. This would be obvious to someone who actually watched their matches this year.
Ah, yes, the famous Nadal Moonball that ends up somewhere around your shoulder ... if you're about 6'5 that is. :) I suppose that he is superior to the likes of Hewitt in that sense.

Nadal's groundies are solid and consistent, but they aren't anything to write home about. Ok, SO WHAT ?

Nadal swings from low to high, brushes up on the ball with an extreme western grip and bam! We have lift off. Big deal, without his legs he wouldn't be ranked in the Top 100.

Nadal is a defensive talent and benefits from his opponent's UFE he's able to cause as a result of his extreme usage of spin (especially Top Spin) -- Satisfied ? It's not that I have a personal vendetta against Nadal, it's a vendetta against contra-tennis. This style of play would never be rewarded during the age of wooden racquets, an era that with his beautiful play and ballerina-like movement Roger could even dominate in. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Rafa = Fed Killa said:
Hey AgassiDomination none of Nadal fans call our favourite "Jesus" "Ninja" and other insane nicknames.
And that's for a certain reason - he just lacks the first of all numbers (and not only this...) - Fed's been "wearing" it for quite some time now ;-)

You'll probably have to wait a few years until it says again:

"The King is dead, long live The King"

Did you get the point, though?

·
Registered
389 Posts
AgassiDomination said:
I hardly understood what you just said man..
Yeah, but you're lucky enough it wasn't exactly meant to be read by you ;-) Nah, I'm just saying that Fed's #1, got a couple of Slams and that there's a still a long way on the road to go for Rafa to accomplish what Fed did. But of course time will tell and Nadals' time will surely come.

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
not that I have a personal vendetta against Nadal, it's a vendetta against contra-tennis.
You're not making much sense, MyskinaLova.

"vendetta against contra-tennis"? :lol: That's a bit melodramatic and pointless, isn't it? Why do you care if others like his style of tennis? Do you really think that you're going to accomplish something with your 'vendetta'?

This style of play would never be rewarded during the age of wooden racquets
Somebody who uses a lot of topspin, rarely comes to the net, is mostly defensive?

:scratch:

Reminds me of somebody from the era of the wooden racket and he has become a legend of the sport...his name is on the tip of my tongue...what's his name again?

Bjorn Borg was a steady player who hit the ball with extremely accurate topspin from the baseline (farthest from the net—an extremely defensive position in tennis). He rarely came to the net to hit impressive volleys or overheads. He made very few mistakes and was willing to hit return after return until his opponent finally made a mistake or left an opening. Borg won his matches using focus and consistency.

The “flashy burnout artists” appears to refer to players like Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Vitas Gerulaitis, or Andre Agassi (in his long haired phase). These latter players were highly entertaining with their aggressiveness and willingness to charge the net (an extremely offensive style) and hit spectacular winners. If they were playing at the top of their game, they were hard to beat; however, if they were not playing near their maximum potential, they were vulnerable to a steady, consistent player like Borg.

·
Registered
389 Posts
AgassiDomination said:
Oh, I thought you were talking about the ridiculous names you guys call Federer.
What do you mean by "you guys"? I just wanted to make it a little bit more understandable - there's simply not enough place for two players sitting on that throne and therefore Fed might be hailed and mystified by some. Nothing new to us, right? Just the way it goes.

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
"Contra-tennis" is more enjoyable for somepeople.
Also, Nadal is offensive at times and does go for winners.

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
Zack it is weird he has so many nick names even "JesusFed" which christians could find offensive.
Also, you are saying that number 1 players have more nicknames. What were Hewitt's nicknames while he was #1 for over a year.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
ZakMcCrack said:
What do you mean by "you guys"? I just wanted to make it a little bit more understandable - there's simply not enough place for two players sitting on that throne and therefore Fed might be hailed and mystified by some. Nothing new to us, right? Just the way it goes.
No no, its fine to be a fan, but I just think its funny how the Federer fanatics have about half a dozen weird nicknames and how they go around worshiping him. Its just funny to me.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Rafa = Fed Killa said:
Zack it is weird he has so many nick names even "JesusFed" which christians could find offensive.
Also, you are saying that number 1 players have more nicknames. What were Hewitt's nicknames while he was #1 for over a year.
Or Sampras's, Agassi's and so on?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Rafa = Fed Killa said:
Nope, that ain't right - I never said anything like this, I don't even really know how to explain it by myself - has it become a movement or what? :rolleyes:
Maybe it's because of his gameplay, his large variety of shots, how much of a complete player he is, sorta kinda ultimately multivalent he appears to be so that it might make it hard for some to limit his capabilities onto one single person?
Or maybe because he makes it look so effortless? Doesn't all this lead us to the inevitable conclusion that maybe he's just a very special player to the game?

P.S.: I don't give a damn sh.. about what Christians could find offensive....

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
ZakMcCrack said:
Nope, that ain't right - I never said anything like this, I don't even really know how to explain it by myself - has it become a movement or what? :rolleyes:
Maybe it's because of his gameplay, his large variety of shots, how much of a complete player he is, sorta kinda ultimately multivalent he appears to be so that it might make it hard for some to limit his capalities onto one single person?
Or maybe because he makes it look so effortless? Doesn't all this lead us to the inevitable conclusion that maybe he's just a very special player to the game?

P.S.: I don't give a damn sh.. about what Christians could finde offensive....
We arent making fun of his game, we know how talented the man is for the babillionth time! We're having a blast reading all the names he is called by his fanatics, thats all.

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Castafiore said:
You're not making much sense, MyskinaLova.

"vendetta against contra-tennis"? :lol: That's a bit melodramatic and pointless, isn't it? Why do you care if others like his style of tennis? Do you really think that you're going to accomplish something with your 'vendetta'?

Somebody who uses a lot of topspin, rarely comes to the net, is mostly defensive?

:scratch:

Reminds me of somebody from the era of the wooden racket and he has become a legend of the sport...his name is on the tip of my tongue...what's his name again?

Bjorn Borg was a steady player who hit the ball with extremely accurate topspin from the baseline (farthest from the net—an extremely defensive position in tennis). He rarely came to the net to hit impressive volleys or overheads. He made very few mistakes and was willing to hit return after return until his opponent finally made a mistake or left an opening. Borg won his matches using focus and consistency.

The “flashy burnout artists” appears to refer to players like Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Vitas Gerulaitis, or Andre Agassi (in his long haired phase). These latter players were highly entertaining with their aggressiveness and willingness to charge the net (an extremely offensive style) and hit spectacular winners. If they were playing at the top of their game, they were hard to beat; however, if they were not playing near their maximum potential, they were vulnerable to a steady, consistent player like Borg.

Borg could adjust his game and hit flat strokes if necessary, he was the complete package and could execute nearly as well on offense. Tennis is an art, a sport of beauty and finesse, to me Nadal's game butchers it. I'm sorry if you consider that "melodramatic" --- a passion for something and appreciation, a tragedy to see it being disgraced.

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Congratulations, you're missing the point almost entirely, MyskinaLova. The thing is that I'm not sure that you're missing the point on purpose (deliberate diversion) or you can't help yourself.
Whatever it is, I can't be bothered to explain it in any other way because we're never going to agree on this so there's no point. Your cute vendetta is a bit wasted on me because I don't see tennis as 'art' and a sport of beauty and finesse'. I think that this viewpoint on tennis is too narrow and you're missing out on a whole lot of fun as far as I am concerned.

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Castafiore said:
Congratulations, you're missing the point almost entirely, MyskinaLova but I can't be bothered to explain it in any other way because we're never going to agree on this. Your viewpoint is just too "out there" for me.

And yes, you're sounding melodramatic to me.
"Tennis is an art, a sport of beauty and finesse"
Are you kidding?
I understand the point that you're getting at and I'm asking, if you don't watch tennis for the art of it then why do you watch it ? What is your reasoning ? What do you enjoy about tennis ?

I enjoy the shot-making and point construction, to me tennis is a game of chess and when 2 competitors play at their highest level quite a pleasure to watch.

Players that made the game beautiful not only with their games, but their classiness and turned it into such a wonderful sport:
Suzanne Lenglen
Martina Nav.
Martina Hingis
Billie Jean King
Bjorn Borg
Pete Sampras (at times)
Rod Laver

Players to this day that carry on that tradition:
Roger Federer
Amelie Mauresmo
Justine Henin-Hardenne

More women than men, unfortunately ball-bashing and ugly tennis as a result of the technology of today's racquets has taken away from some of the thinking the sport demanded some 20 - 30 years ago, quite a tragedy indeed.

Nadal is entitled to play however he pleases, if players struggles to defeat his contra-tennis, why should he change his style; however, he wins ugly. He should go out and hire Brad Gilbert. :)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
The competition? Just a wild stab in the dark here.

Your penultimate paragraph leaves me in no doubt that it's not worth taking you seriously.

141 - 160 of 175 Posts