Mens Tennis Forums banner

121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Agassi will win AO and retire. Kuerten will win FO and retire. Henman will win Wimbledon and retire. Flip will beat Rusedski at the USO final; both will retire.

Federer and Nadal will fail to defend their numerous titles and fall out of the top 20. Hewitt will become a stay at home daddy and will be out of top 50 by Wimbledon. Safin will join Kafelnikov at golf tournaments and get fat. Coria, Nalbandian, Puerta, Gaudio will get a lifetime ban for taking pills distributed by Agassi and Sargisian. Roddick will be trapped in unlucky draws and be forced to go back to Challengers. Davydenko will get a 1 year sentence for match fixing. Ljubicic and Ancic will take a break from tennis to recover from monumental DC efforts. Hrbaty will contemplate a new career as a clothes designer. Sampras/Ivanesevic/Rafter/Muster will announce a comeback. :p

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Skyward said:
Agassi will win AO and retire. Kuerten will win FO and retire. Henman will win Wimbledon and retire. Flip will beat Rusedski at the USO final; both will retire.

Federer and Nadal will fail to defend their numerous titles and fall out of the top 20. Hewitt will become a stay at home daddy and will be out of top 50 by Wimbledon. Safin will join Kafelnikov at golf tournaments and get fat. Coria, Nalbandian, Puerta, Gaudio will get a lifetime ban for taking pills distributed by Agassi and Sargisian. Roddick will be trapped in unlucky draws and be forced to go back to Challengers. Davydenko will get a 1 year sentence for match fixing. Ljubicic and Ancic will take a break from tennis to recover from monumental DC efforts. Hrbaty will contemplate a new career as a clothes designer. Sampras/Ivanesevic/Rafter/Muster will announce a comeback. :p
LMFAO!

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
Skyward is predicting doomsday. :devil:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Chloe le Bopper said:
Rafa won Roland Garros without hitting the ball. It was amazing.
YEAH! He ran around the court naked and made his opponents retire because they couldn't help laughing! that's what i call winning ugly!!! :D

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Chloe le Bopper said:
Rafa won Roland Garros without hitting the ball. It was amazing.
Nothing like a troll with benefits and seniority.

You have to love the new generation of fans that don't understand the difference between the game that Vilas played and McEnroe, the difference between Sampras & Bruguera or even the difference between Federer & Nadal.

There are 2 ways to win. Defense and Offense. Nadal definitely hasn't won anything because of his strokes, try giving him the foot speed of Ivan Ljubicic, accompanied by his current strokes and let me know what his results are. He is a defensive player, he's the male version of Kim Clijsters. A pity, contra-tennis at it's best, indeed. :D

·
5,067 Posts
Defense which can be turned into offence is Nadal's game.
A lot more exciting than pure offence or defense.

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
***warning - long post ahead ***

Nadal definitely hasn't won anything because of his strokes
:scratch:

Wow...that's some trick. Go from ranking number 52 to 2 - win 3 Master Titles on two surfaces, win a slam on his first attempt, win 10 tournaments in one season and all that at the age of 18/19 and it has nothing to do with his strokes?
That's amazing!

I'm having fun reading your posts, MyskinaLova. Keep it up.

Seriously, though:
From one extreme (saying that he's good but not that special, that he just had a bit of luck this year because of the lack of depth in the game...blah blah blah) to the other extreme (saying that no-one will be able to beat him on clay...blah blah blah): the truth is somewhere in between but it's more fun to bash people on the head in this thread with over-the-top statements, I guess.

* Nadal plays a physical game? Yes, I agree and he's very strong but he still needs to balance his efforts out a bit, I think (but I think that he's aware of that).
For example: during his last DC match - he came from China having played 4 matches in 3 days, had to fly back to Italy (so, he had to adapt to the time difference), he had to adapt to another surface so that was a more intense training in preparation for the DC matches and then, he had to play 3 matches in 3 days. So, his batteries went flat in the third set of the third match and he told the Spanish DC captain that he couldn't run anymore. Arrese told him that he did not need to run to win the match and we all know the result of that match, right?
* Nadal plays defence? Well, yes and no. He plays mostly defence, that's true but we - or at least, those who actually bother to pay attention - have all seen him turn on an attacking game as well. He's not a pure defensive player because he tends to turn his defence into offense. He normally just doesn't just return the ball and wait until the other player makes the mistakes (i.e. purely defence) but he patiently seeks out opportunities in an attacking way.
However, I think that he still falls back on his defensive game too much but I think that he's aware of that, judging from his interviews.

Other than that, Nadal himself is very aware that he's having an exceptional year and that it will be very difficult to repeat next year, certainly because he seems to aim to improve his game on HC more than to just defend all those points.
Furthermore, he has an uncle as a trainer who doesn't sugarcoat things or sweettalk and that will help him to keep focussed.

Somebody posted a transcript of a tv interview Rafa did with his uncle Toni a couple of days ago.
presenter: Good Evening

Well, what a year Rafa, and don't be modest...

Rafa: Yes, it's been a good year so far, couldn't really ask for more. I started winning matches and gaining confidence and I played at a good level so it brought me to here.

Q: Toni, would you of believed it if they told you a year ago that your nephew would be in this position?

Toni: No, one year ago we didn't think of this. Knowing how difficult it is to win a tournament, not only for Rafa, but for any good tennis player, this is been a success for him.

Q: So Rafa, you come from playing a lot, and you went to a hospital aftwerwards, are you not tired?

Rafa: Yes, obviously. That's why I haven't done anything this week, just relaxed for a bit. The only thing I had to do is go to Barcelona for one day, but that's it. I needed to stop for a little bit, to get my strength back and charge my batteries up again. I 've only started training again today.

Q: Rafa, you are number 2 now, but other years Moya and Ferrero have been number one with less points than you have got now. But as Federer is there, is that not a bit fustrating for you? Will you never be number 1 while Federer is around? Is he so good?

Rafa: Yes, he is very good. He never loses. He's only lost 3 matches this year, he just never fails. It's a bit of bad luck for me, because maybe if he wasn't there or if it was a different year I'd be number one. But I'm satisfied with what I'm doing. I have ambition. I want to get it and I'll fight until I achieve what I want, and that's to be number 1.

Q: So Rafa, which match would you choose as your favorite, as your best match of the year, as the match you did great and think you were at 100%?

Rafa: well, there's not really a specific match I would choose...maybe the final with Agassi, or the final against Federer in Miami, that although I lost I thought I played very good. Roland Garros wasn't my best week I'd say...The season is very long and sometimes you play good and sometimes bad. But I've been more or less regular and I'm happy about that.

Q: So Toni, what's the things you liked the best and the things you disliked?

Toni: The things I like are the results, his matches in Rome, Miami and Montreal were good. What I didn't like was Flushing Meadows. I was really disappointed there, he should have done so much better. He played badly. He mentally was very bad...and physically very bad too. And Wimbledon wasn't too good either, but I expected that more or less because he came from winning Roland Garros and that affected him a bit because he had a lot of pressure on him. Everyone expected him to play good, to be one of the favorites and that distracted him a bit I think.

Q: Rafa, people have always talked about your serve, that it wasn't very good, is it any better?

Rafa: Well, if you are asking me this, then it obviously isn't any better then..(laughs)
Well, I had one of the worst serves in the circuit. Now it's a lot better, well, it's not one of the best, but it isn't the worst one any more. I'll have to keep practicing.

Toni: His was the 3rd worst serve of the top 50 before!!! (laughs) He is better now though, but has to get even better. His serve is not as soft as it used to be, but he still has to work a lot on it to be on top.

Q: But he is on the top...!!

Toni: That's this year, we'll see next year...

Q: So What is this sock thing you always do? Do you have problems with your socks?

Rafa: When I wear my pirate pants yes...

Q: Are those pants comfortable?

Rafa: Yes, otherwise I wouldn't play with them, believe me...

Q: But why are the socks a problem when you wear the pirate pants? Is it to concentrate or to get your rival nervous?

Rafa: No, nothing like that, it's simple, it will sound so stupid but I'll tell you. ..When I play, the socks, with the sweat and that, keep falling down, so the little hairs from my lower leg/ankle stick out over the top of them and it's very uncomfortable!! It pesters me so I keep pulling them up so those hairs don't stick out!!

Q: So does Nike choose the clothes for you?

Rafa: Well, they give me ideas, propositions and If I like them I say yes, if not, they look for something else.

Toni: But he always says yes to everything...! (laughs)

Q: So are you wearing anything special for Shangai?

Rafa: No, I don't think so...

Q: How about in Madrid?

Rafa: Nothing special, all I can say is that I'm going to wear the short pants again for the rest of the season.

Q: So you are back to the shorts again! So in Madrid we will see you in shorts again...

Rafa: Yes, well, that is if Nike doesn't change their mind, sometimes they change, so I can't confirm anything...

Q: So how is this all this advertising stuff affecting you. I love the Kia car one, with tennis balls raining over you...

Rafa: I'ts nice to watch once it's finished, but not fun to make, I tell you...

Q: Was there really a lot of tennis balls falling on top of you?

Rafa: hahaha...well, new technologies do great things these days...there is a part of fiction and a part of reality...I did have a machine and 15 people throwing balls at me though..

Q: hahaha well that was good then...

Rafa: What was good was that none of the balls hit me on the head while filming, that was a miracle...(laughs)

Q: So you've done Nike, Kia, cola cao adverstisments...

Rafa: and Rosdor biscuits..

Q: Oh, yes forgot about them, that's good, a Mallorcan product...so any more advertisment now?

Rafa: No, well, just another Cola Cao one.

Q: So, another five tournaments left...

(Rafa counts): Yes

Q: Are you going to Vienna?

Rafa: If I knew, I'd tell you...On this moment it's more a no than a yes...but who knows, I'm not sure yet. I mean I want to go but...I need a little more rest and training so I don't know. Maybe the day comes and I say, hey I wanna go, but maybe I say, well I want to train more for Madrid because I want to do really well there this year, and Madrid is my number 1 priority...

Q: If you go to Vienna you could practise a bit before Madrid there...

Toni: But if he goes, he goes there to win, not to train...but he would get a good training there. That's the problem we have now about the decision, I mean if he goes he'll get into the game a bit again , I think it would be good for him, but if he goes and is still a bit tired it might be worse...depends on what he wants to do..

(Toni looks at Rafa and Rafa shyly looks down)

Rafa: I want to go...but...

Toni: He doesn't know yet. Madrid is what he really wants to do well at.

Rafa: Yes.

Toni: Moya always says he plays a lot during the year and that when Masters Madrid comes around, he's always too tired and plays badly there, and Rafa doesn't want that to happen to him.

Q: So are you training now?

Toni: Yes, he started today. It's going to be difficult to find someone to train with him because Moya is going to Vienna and the guys at the tennis club are all on tournaments as well, so it's going to be hard to find someone with a good level to play against him while here.

Q: Well, what I hope is that you bring back a cup from Shanghai when you go...

Rafa: pfffff...With the surface they've prepared I doubt it...

Q: Why?

Toni: Because it's a very fast court. A lot of players are agaisnt it, apart from Rafa, like Federer and Hewitt. That surface is good for Roddick and Safin. They should have taken into account the players' and the public's opinion, but anyway, he'll try his best...

Q: And Rafa, no one can get you out of Mallorca eh! other players have left to train and live in Barcelona, Madrid..., but you have stayed here

Rafa: Yes, I love Mallorca, I wouldn't change it for anything. My family, and my friends are here. I like being here, it relaxes me.

Q: So are there other places you like, you've visited other places in the world, do you tour a lot or just stay in the hotel?

Rafa: pfff ask him that, (pointing to his uncle Toni) he's the one that goes all over the area to shop, not me...

Q: So you go all over but you order your nephew to stay in the hotel and rest then...

Toni: (laughs) He can come if he wants..

Q: Anyway, i want to thank you for coming, it's been a pleasure, and I hope to see you back here soon, and Rafa, don't change, because you are so kind-hearted. Every time you arrive in Mallorca, we are waiting and pester you in the airport, but you always have a few minutes for us, that means a lot to us...

Rafa: No problem...

Q: Thank you, and have a nice rest

Rafa and Toni: Thank you."
Credit for this transcript goes to Yoly from vamosrafa.com

·
5,067 Posts
Thank You for explaining his game Castafiore.
I hope Myskinalova reads and understands it.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Marat Safin will win the Australian Open.
Guillermo Coria will win the French Open.
Mark Phillippoussis will win Wimbledon.
Andy Roddick will win the US Open.

Top 5 after 2006 season.
1. Andy Roddick :)
2. Marat Safin :)
3. Guillermo Coria :)
4. Mark Phillippoussis :)
5. David Nalbandian :)
------------------------
99. Roger Federer :p

·
Banned
3,208 Posts
SheDrivesMeCrazy said:

Top 5 after 2006 season.
------------------------
I think you have confused Wimbly with Forest Hills challenger :lol:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Rafa = Fed Killa said:
Nadal = Energetic, Exciting
Federer = Sleepy, Boring
I agree, but see my signature. I hope he continues to bore the hell out of people for years to come. :D

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
myskinaLova said:
Nothing like a troll with benefits and seniority.

You have to love the new generation of fans that don't understand the difference between the game that Vilas played and McEnroe, the difference between Sampras & Bruguera or even the difference between Federer & Nadal.

There are 2 ways to win. Defense and Offense. Nadal definitely hasn't won anything because of his strokes, try giving him the foot speed of Ivan Ljubicic, accompanied by his current strokes and let me know what his results are. He is a defensive player, he's the male version of Kim Clijsters. A pity, contra-tennis at it's best, indeed. :D
This is another prime piece of :bs: If Nadal's only won titles because of his foot speed, why is it that Hewitt and Coria, two equally quick players, are a combined 0-11 against Federer in the last 18 months? You don't think that anything Nadal does with the ball might make a difference when he plays Federer? Roger said last year that it's easy to get the rhythm against Hewitt because he hits "nice and flat"; with the topspin coming off Nadal's forehand his timing is destroyed and his shots end up being shanked. This would be obvious to someone who actually watched their matches this year.

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
SheDrivesMeCrazy said:

Top 5 after 2006 season.
------------------------

I think you confused Wimbledon with 'a match' :lol:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
1. Oscar Hernandez
2. Tomas Behrend
3. Adam Chadaj
4. Lars Burgsmüller
5. Irakli Labadze

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
2006 will be the year Oscar Hernandez finally lifts that Wimbledon crown, 2005 it never got started but next year the expectations will be high.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
joeyd2005 said:
2006 will be the year Oscar Hernandez finally lifts that Wimbledon crown, 2005 it never got started but next year the expectations will be high.
You're there and you know it's happening and 2006 is the big year for Oscar and he'll be ready to take his rightful place in Wimbledon folklore.

Behrend is going to grunt his way to the RG title, while Chadaj will win the smaller clay events.

Labadze will win the AO and grind a victory in Monte Carlo and Burgy will clean house in the hardcourt season.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
1. Oscar Hernandez
2. Tomas Behrend
3. Adam Chadaj
4. Lars Burgsmüller
5. Irakli Labadze
um irakli's going all the way to #1. thanks.:p

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Skyward said:

:banana: i've been waiting for goran to make a comeback, he'll be #2 right behind labadze. :)

121 - 140 of 175 Posts