Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 175 Posts

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
amierin said:
Safin - injured most of the year
Hewitt - ducking everyone (see his latest withdrawal)
Halle - shouldn't have played. Tired but went anyway.
Wimby - tried. Not confident on grass at all.
Cincy - shouldn't have played. Was told not to by his uncle. Came right after winning in Montreal. Cramped and still almost pulled the win off.
US Open - self admitted lack of confidence. Waiting to see what Blake does in Europe. He was his old self in DC.
Lleyton Hewitt would have 2 GS titles if it weren't for Roger, yet he's ducking everyone ?
AO - Final (Safin)
Wimby - SF (Federer)
U.S Open - SF (Federer)

Let me give you the facts.
Halle - Nadal is no good on grass.
Wimby - Nadal is no good on grass.
Montreal - Roddick chokes to Matheiu and gives Nadal an easy draw.
Cincy - Got beat fair and square by Berdych.
U.S Open - His moonballs were ineffective.

Last time I checked, Marat was giving Fedex big trouble before his injury. I find it hard to believe if he were healthy rankings would be the same. :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
You say all this but, it comes back to clay, He is so supreme on Clay that he will get all his points to virtully guarentee i would say top 3, then on top of that he has great potential on all other surfaces which will for me anyway see him comfortably retain his number 2 spot, if somehow Fed was injured for a couple of Slams then he might struggle to make two, becaus eother competitors like Safin Roddick adn Hewitt will be probably taking the slam home (obviously not RG) whcih will give them more points.

So a crucial part of Nadal being number 2 is the way Federer denies the other top players of getting full points in slams and TMS, which will see Nadal build a lead he will create through his clay form.

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
skel1983 said:
You say all this but, it comes back to clay, He is so supreme on Clay that he will get all his points to virtully guarentee i would say top 3, then on top of that he has great potential on all other surfaces which will for me anyway see him comfortably retain his number 2 spot, if somehow Fed was injured for a couple of Slams then he might struggle to make two, becaus eother competitors like Safin Roddick adn Hewitt will be probably taking the slam home (obviously not RG) whcih will give them more points.

So a crucial part of Nadal being number 2 is the way Federer denies the other top players of getting full points in slams and TMS, which will see Nadal build a lead he will create through his clay form.
Coria will be back in 2006, as him normal self and will take back his title as King Of Clay.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
No one denies that a healthy, both mentally and physically, Safin can beat anyone anytime he wants. But that is not what you're arguing. Safin just withdrew from Madrid and another tourny to try and be ready for Shanghai. He has the AO to defend. If you care to read what I wrote I said Safin was injured "most of the year" not all of the year.

If he comes back ready to play a full year next year men's tenis will be very interesting.

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
amierin said:
No one denies that a healthy, both mentally and physically, Safin can beat anyone anytime he wants. But that is not what you're arguing. Safin just withdrew from Madrid and another tourny to try and be ready for Shanghai. He has the AO to defend. If you care to read what I wrote I said Safin was injured "most of the year" not all of the year.

If he comes back ready to play a full year next year men's tenis will be very interesting.
What I'm saying is what Roger Rasheed said a few weeks back, Hewitt is virtually the #2 player in the world right now.

Nadal is a great player, but that boy ain't #2 material. It will show in 2006. He's definitely Top 10 material for sure, but this year has been one big mess with the absence of Marat and injuries / upsets clearing the way for em. :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
amierin said:

I don't think Safin has the capabilites to maintain a level which will compete all year round (unfortunatly) He is such a great player and it would be great to see a consistant rival for Roger, but i think deep down it won't happen consistantly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Didn't Nadal say that he wasn't going to be playing next year a few of the clay tournaments he won this year? If that is the case, then he will be hard pressed to win as many titles as he did this year, unless his form improves on hard/grass/indoor carpet. He has avoided playing the other big names this year, and hasn't really had tough draws in the hard court events he has won.

That said, I think he'll keep his #2 ranking, if Roger doesn't get injured (I so hope he doesn't!). But I expect it to be closer between him and Hewitt/Roddick. Not to mention Federer. It will be really tough for him to keep this form he's had in the past two years. Safin, as always, is a wild card.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Jimena said:
Didn't Nadal say that he wasn't going to be playing next year a few of the clay tournaments he won this year? If that is the case, then he will be hard pressed to win as many titles as he did this year, unless his form improves on hard/grass/indoor carpet. He has avoided playing the other big names this year, and hasn't really had tough draws in the hard court events he has won.

That said, I think he'll keep his #2 ranking, if Roger doesn't get injured (I so hope he doesn't!). But I expect it to be closer between him and Hewitt/Roddick. Not to mention Federer. It will be really tough for him to keep this form he's had in the past two years. Safin, as always, is a wild card.
Good point but i feel he will win, at least two of the TMS clay court event's and probably win RG, I think he will play the two Spanish events (which he should win) and will improve on hard maybe QF-SF of Aus at least a couple of TMS hard court appearance's. That's why he will be number 2 for me because i think Roger will win the other 3 Slams and Nadal will more or less match the other big boys in the Hard court TMS and GS, which will then bring his clay game to the top and place him as number 2 in the world.

·
Banned
3,208 Posts
Jimena said:

Nadal has already said that it will be almost impossible for him to repeat ( in the future ) the number of titles won in a unique season . He isn't under pressure at all for the fact of repeating next year those titles , because he feels his season has been almost unrepeatable

Next year he won't go to South America staying in Europe , then in theory won't win so many titles.

I think next season Federer and Nadal will keep their positions and i don't see Roddick and Hewitt close to Nadal ( there will be more than 500 points of difference )

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
Who can beat him on clay? Coria is getting owned by him, so I doubt Coria is once again going to become the King of Clay.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
1. Fed
2. Hewitt
3. Rafa
4. Roddick
5. Agassi (Depending if he can have good runs at GSs, if he didnt practically miss RG and Wimby he could have racked up some more points this year)
6. Safin
7. Coria
8. Blake (after his last few runs I can see him breaking the top ten)
9. Nalbandian
10. Giniepri (well... maybe not lol)

·
Registered
698 Posts
AgassiDomination said:
1. Fed
2. Hewitt
3. Rafa
4. Roddick
5. Agassi (Depending if he can have good runs at GSs, if he didnt practically miss RG and Wimby he could have racked up some more points this year)
6. Safin
7. Coria
8. Blake (after his last few runs I can see him breaking the top ten)
9. Nalbandian
10. Giniepri (well... maybe not lol)
Ginepri and Blake are not 12 month players, they have to many swings in form for me.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Well, I think they both have matured as players and well after Blake going through almost everything last year, I dont think anything else can keep him down (hopefully). As for Ginepri, maybe he just had a good hardcourt season and was a fluke, but really I dont know much about the guy. All I know is what I saw in the US series and in the USO what I saw, I LIKED :D

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I expect something like that indeed happen next year.. Except that I think that Safin will probably be above Hewitt.. And that I suspect that Roddick might be fighting with Nadal for #4-5.. Nadal will not have a very good year in 2006. His slump is inevitable.. Someone will challenge him on dirt and his points will drop.. And he has no game for other surfaces.. I do expect though that someone will do a davydenko next year and be a suprise Top 5-7.. Blake, Ginepri, Gasquet..

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
ys said:
Nadal will not have a very good year in 2006. His slump is inevitable.. Someone will challenge him on dirt and his points will drop.. And he has no game for other surfaces.. I do expect though that someone will do a davydenko next year and be a suprise Top 5-7.. Blake, Ginepri, Gasquet
Exactly, I dont buy all that stuff that he has potential in other surfaces. His only chance is clay, its what hes played on all his life. He is more of a top 20 player on other surfaces than a top 10. Please, don't take this as bashing, its true. Do you really see him challening the likes of Hewitt on grass, Roddick on hard?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chloe le Bopper said:
Which part of this was fact?

#5 - Rafael Nadal - This year was a bit of a fluke, many players simply did not know his game and he entered lots of tournaments got lucky players withdrew was left with the usual clay court suspects (i.e; ferrero, coria). He's somehow escaped players like Safin, Hewitt and Roddick. Roddick bageled him in NYC, Hewitt sent him home in Australia, Safin's height of 6'5" and tremendous talent would not struggle much with Nadal's moonballs.

That sounds more like garbled crap (oh, I'm sorry, "opinion") entwined with a complete twisting of facts; Roddick bagelled Nadal in 2004, which has absolutely no relevance to the performance of either this season.
to be honest, i didn't read the whole post.. i'm sure there were some facts in there. but i jus found the other guy's comment funny.

i completely disagree wit nadal being 5 next year, but it was a lovely way of disagreeing that i quoted earlier, that's all...

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
myskinaLova said:
Roger took him out in Miami.
He has YET to face Safin.
He has YET to face Roddick.
He has YET to face Hewitt since Australia.
The chances of him playing these four on surfaces other than clay are not really good.. He is simply not good enough on those surfaces.. The chances of him playing Hewitt or Roddick on clay are even slimmer.. :lol:

Nadal might still be beating Roger on clay or slow hardcourts like Miami and maintaining an illusion of having a good record against Federer, by playing him exclusively on slow surfaces..

41 - 60 of 175 Posts