Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 175 Posts

·
Banned
3,208 Posts
myskinaLova said:
2006, will be the year during which order is finally restored over the ATP Tour; Rafael Nadal will drop to #5 in the world, a healthy Marat Safin will bring his A game and probably end up #3 in the world, behind a more consistent and pesky opponent in Hewitt, while Andy Roddick will fall in at #4... of course Roger will maintain his #1 ranking.

Richard Gasquet will move into the Top 10, Murray will move into the Top 50 and probably linger around that number for the year. He may have a bit of a let-down year, because he'll be making adjustments to his game and sort of in an experimentation process.

#1 - Roger Federer ( We all know why )
#2 -Lleyton Hewitt (Consistency, Consistency, Consistency) - Final - AO, SF - Wimbledon, SF - U.S Open
#3 - Marat Safin ( About the only player that can honestly even challenge Roger shot for shot and put pressure on him, maybe this will be the year he gets his head together)
#4 - Andy Roddick - Solid on Grass, solid on Hard, anemic on Clay; however, his posted results are consistent enough to win most tournaments without Roger in the draw (or Lleyton)
#5 - Rafael Nadal - This year was a bit of a fluke, many players simply did not know his game and he entered lots of tournaments got lucky players withdrew was left with the usual clay court suspects (i.e; ferrero, coria). He's somehow escaped players like Safin, Hewitt and Roddick. Roddick bageled him in NYC, Hewitt sent him home in Australia, Safin's height of 6'5" and tremendous talent would not struggle much with Nadal's moonballs.
Safin is much better on Grass, Hard, Indoors and he's not too bad on Grass when he applies himself. Federer fans never fear, if Roger doesn't handle him, then someone in The Top 5 will. :) -- My prediction is that he won't even be
consistent enough with all the top dogs back to even meet up with Roger.

---- BTW, possibly with a few more cortisone shots and barring serious injury, Agassi & Nadal would be in an dog fight for that #5 ranking.

I expect to see the younger players moving up and doing big things, inflicting chaos in early rounds (much like Berdych did to Fedex in Olympics of 04 and to Nadal in Cincy) --- they will be lurking, the field will have a lot more competition. Next year will not be a year to cakewalk through Hard Court events playing nobodies. Also, expect Ivan Ljubicic to seriously do damage. Fact is, next year: Healthy bodies, more experienced players.

With the Gasquet, Berdych, Murray, Monfils, Djokovic lurking in the field ... that spells trouble.

Defending points and pressure accompanied by this will spell trouble for Roger's so-called "nemesis"

The only way to avoid the inevitable is to hide on Clay. :)
Maths aren't your best.. Your analysis reminds me those persons that have no idea about entry ranking points and how it works..

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
cecilija said:
besides gasquet is overrated as hell
his season will no be better than the current season
:scratch: Are we watching the same Gasquet

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
2006, will be the year during which order is finally restored over the ATP Tour; Rafael Nadal will drop to #5 in the world, a healthy Marat Safin will bring his A game and probably end up #3 in the world, behind a more consistent and pesky opponent in Hewitt, while Andy Roddick will fall in at #4... of course Roger will maintain his #1 ranking.

Richard Gasquet will move into the Top 10, Murray will move into the Top 50 and probably linger around that number for the year. He may have a bit of a let-down year, because he'll be making adjustments to his game and sort of in an experimentation process.

#1 - Roger Federer ( We all know why )
#2 -Lleyton Hewitt (Consistency, Consistency, Consistency) - Final - AO, SF - Wimbledon, SF - U.S Open
#3 - Marat Safin ( About the only player that can honestly even challenge Roger shot for shot and put pressure on him, maybe this will be the year he gets his head together)
#4 - Andy Roddick - Solid on Grass, solid on Hard, anemic on Clay; however, his posted results are consistent enough to win most tournaments without Roger in the draw (or Lleyton)
#5 - Rafael Nadal - This year was a bit of a fluke, many players simply did not know his game and he entered lots of tournaments got lucky players withdrew was left with the usual clay court suspects (i.e; ferrero, coria). He's somehow escaped players like Safin, Hewitt and Roddick. Roddick bageled him in NYC, Hewitt sent him home in Australia, Safin's height of 6'5" and tremendous talent would not struggle much with Nadal's moonballs.
Safin is much better on Grass, Hard, Indoors and he's not too bad on Grass when he applies himself. Federer fans never fear, if Roger doesn't handle him, then someone in The Top 5 will. -- My prediction is that he won't even be
consistent enough with all the top dogs back to even meet up with Roger.

---- BTW, possibly with a few more cortisone shots and barring serious injury, Agassi & Nadal would be in an dog fight for that #5 ranking.

I expect to see the younger players moving up and doing big things, inflicting chaos in early rounds (much like Berdych did to Fedex in Olympics of 04 and to Nadal in Cincy) --- they will be lurking, the field will have a lot more competition. Next year will not be a year to cakewalk through Hard Court events playing nobodies. Also, expect Ivan Ljubicic to seriously do damage. Fact is, next year: Healthy bodies, more experienced players.

With the Gasquet, Berdych, Murray, Monfils, Djokovic lurking in the field ... that spells trouble.

Defending points and pressure accompanied by this will spell trouble for Roger's so-called "nemesis"

The only way to avoid the inevitable is to hide on Clay.
What are you on? :rolleyes:

Seems this is a Nadal bashing thread as others have said.

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
Nadal a fluke... yeah, right...

·
Registered
932 Posts
The only chance Rafa has at finishing #1, is if he wins the AO in 2006, and defends RG, along with his 8 other claycourt titles. Even then, I still don't think he'd finish #1.

Other than RG, Nadal's best shot at winning another slam is at the Aussie Open. He doesn't have a prayer in hell at Wimbledon nor the US Open.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
myskinaLova said:
2006, will be the year during which order is finally restored over the ATP Tour...
So basically you're saying that the current top five players of Federer, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, and Nadal will remain exactly the same, just one or two players moved up and down a bit? :confused:

·
Registered
698 Posts
mangoes said:
I disagree. Gasquet will pass Coria. Coria, while I believe is a top 10 player, he is losing his ability to close it out, and if he doesn't change that..........bye,bye top 10

I do not see Roger leaving the no. 1 seat. I really do not see Nadal leaving his no. 2 seat. But, there is still a bit of a question about Nadal. The only person I am sure will be in the top 5 next year apart from these two is Roddick. Hewitt...........??????? Safin, I question because of his injury and for no other reason.

If next year is a repeat of this year, then I will be very excited. We may see a major war next year between Roger and Rafael.

You think Roddick is more of a sure thing than Hewitt to be top 5 i would disagree with that totally.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The person is not an idiot if that's there opinion that's fine she is not insulting anyone, but i am with the majority of people on this forum it was no fluke and if Nadal is out of the top 2 that will be a major suprise for me next year!!!

The way Nadal plays proves it is no fluke, look at Hewitt he is a similar intense player he has not got the skills of a Safin or Federer but he is always there in the top 3!!

Nadal will only get better to match his clay results will be difficult but if he dosen't match them he won't be far off!!! Come on who can beat him on Clay??? You say Safin Hewitt and Roddick pulled out of some of the big Clay events?????? Huh That confused me i mean Roddick and Hewitt would do well to avoid a couple of Bagels against Nadal on clay, the only person is of course Roger but on a consistant basis he still has no chance against Nadal because he doesn't play enough tennis on the dirty stuff, in a one off game maybe the French Open Final Roger might beat him but if they played say 4 or 5 times on clay next year it will be something like 4-1 or 5-0 to Nadal, no one can really touch him on Clay, and because of his intensity you know that he will continue his dominanace on this surface and he will only get better on the other surfaces so to say he will be number 5 is quite unlikely, i would predict you would get around 25/1 for him to be out of the top 3 by the end of next year.

My predictions all things being equal ( minus injuries, everyone plays to potential)

1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Hewitt
4.Roddick
5.Nalbandian
6.Safin
7.Coria
8.G.Gaudio
9.J.Johanssen (If he is fit by start of 06 )
10.Gasquet

I also think Murray,Djokovic and Monils could well be top 32.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
TheMaster said:
LOL the person makes this huge post wit his/her opinions supported by facts

n you quote it n say "What an idiot...."

LOL that was too good..........
Which part of this was fact?

That sounds more like garbled crap (oh, I'm sorry, "opinion") entwined with a complete twisting of facts; Roddick bagelled Nadal in 2004, which has absolutely no relevance to the performance of either this season.

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Nadal has had a great year, but why is it that everyone continues to ignore these facts ?

He lost to Hewitt, the only Top 5 player that he's faced this year aside from Roger in Australia.
Roger took him out in Miami.
He has YET to face Safin.
He has YET to face Roddick.
He has YET to face Hewitt since Australia.
He lost in the 1st round at Grass court tournament in Halle.
He went out in the 2nd round at Wimbledon.
He went out in the 1st round in Cincy.
He struggled about Scoville Jenkins and went out against Blake ... BIG.

I mean, this isn't a Nadal bashing thread. Everything is viewed as bashing if it's not exactly positive when coming to Nadal, he has NOT faced The Top players this year. My god, if Roger were beating these people and somehow dodging the Roddick, Safin, Hewitt people would be sure to jump all over it.

Clever how people have selective memory, nothing I've said is really ridiculous or ludicrous, 2006 will restore order in the Top 5 ... like it or not. True order would leave Safin at #2 and Hewitt at #3, but I don't think Marat will ever dedicate himself enough to be #1 or #2 again, #3 sure... only a number separates them but we both know #1 and #2 are heavy duty rankings to maintain #3 tends to fluctuate.

Order needs to be restored not only on Nadal's part, but Safin's part and so forth. Mathematically, it would have to be a major breakdown on Nadal's part. Defending points is different.

·
Banned
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Chloe le Bopper said:
Which part of this was fact?

That sounds more like garbled crap (oh, I'm sorry, "opinion") entwined with a complete twisting of facts; Roddick bagelled Nadal in 2004, which has absolutely no relevance to the performance of either this season.
Wow, adjust your tampon, does your bitching ever stop ? :D

·
F***ing have it
17,616 Posts
Rainer will come back to the top 5 :angel:

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
He has YET to face Safin.
He has YET to face Roddick.
He has YET to face Hewitt since Australia.
He lost in the 1st round at Grass court tournament in Halle.
He went out in the 2nd round at Wimbledon.
He went out in the 1st round in Cincy.
He struggled about Scoville Jenkins and went out against Blake ... BIG.
Safin - injured most of the year
Hewitt - ducking everyone (see his latest withdrawal)
Halle - shouldn't have played. Tired but went anyway.
Wimby - tried. Not confident on grass at all.
Cincy - shouldn't have played. Was told not to by his uncle. Came right after winning in Montreal. Cramped and still almost pulled the win off.
US Open - self admitted lack of confidence. Waiting to see what Blake does in Europe. He was his old self in DC.

21 - 40 of 175 Posts