Mens Tennis Forums banner

2005 US Open

10K views 262 replies 37 participants last post by  Sailor 
#1 ·
August 21, 2005
Hewitt Confident of Strong U.S. Open Showing
By REUTERS

Filed at 2:51 p.m. ET

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - Former U.S. Open champion Lleyton Hewitt believes his run to the semi-finals at the Cincinnati Masters sets him up perfectly for another assault on the title at Flushing Meadows.

The Australian, who will be seeded third in New York, lost to American Andy Roddick in Cincinnati, but pulled out of Montreal the week before with a virus, his confidence is high as he prepares for the final grand slam event of the year.

``It's been pretty good this week,'' said Hewitt, who won his first grand slam title at Flushing Meadows in 2001.

``I could easily have lost in the second round to Greg Rusedski. To come through that and have some tough matches is very good.

``It's great preparation for the U.S. Open. I think I've got better as the week's gone on. If I can keep practicing the next week hard, next Monday hopefully my game will be at an even stronger point.''

Hewitt began the year in style, reaching the final of his home grand slam for the first time, before losing in four sets to Russian Marat Safin.

Injury and illness caused him to skip the claycourt season, but he showed his appetite for the big occasion when he reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon, losing to eventual champion Roger Federer.

In Cincinnati he improved with every match and had he taken his chances against Roddick he could easily have beaten the American for the sixth time in eight meetings.

``I felt a little bit tired the whole match,'' Hewitt said.

``Obviously, we played a few matches, and I'm backing up after not feeling great last week. So I can't say I've had the most energy this week.

``I can walk away and know that there was a couple of points, a breakpoint in the first set and he hit the edge of the line. A couple of inches, and I'm serving to go up 5-2 in the first.

``You know, it's a game of inches, and a couple went his way.''

Hewitt has a consistent record at the U.S. Open. Since winning it in 2001 he has never failed to reach the quarter-final and was runner-up last year to an inspired Federer.

* Copyright 2005 Reuters Ltd.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good luck Lleyton in US Open ^_^

#4 ·
GOOD LUCK IN THE US OPEN LLEYTON !!!!
YOU CAN DO SOMETHING GREAT IN THERE !!!
C'MON !!!!

#20 ·
Socket said:
Yes, I agree. His draw is very tough.
Hey, expost, I agree the draw was not rigged by and for the Americans.... ;)
Almost feel like its rigged in favor of the Swiss guy

Lleyton's draw is quite tough indeed --possibly the toughest of the top 5. Potentially have to get through marat and Roger just to get to the final. Once he gets there to the final he might have it easier --although nadal could pose problems

#21 ·
Hewitt handed tough draw for US Open
August 25, 2005 - 6:25AM

Lleyton Hewitt has been dealt a difficult draw for next week's US Open, with Swiss master Roger Federer and Russian powerhouse Marat Safin both set to stand in his path to the final.

The South Australian opens his campaign in New York against 2002 French Open champion Albert Costa with Hewitt holding a 5-1 head-to-head advantage over the Spaniard.

Third seeded Hewitt, who won the US Open title in 2001, faces a potential third round fixture with big-serving Taylor Dent and fourth round clash with compatriot Mark Philippoussis who hasn't won a tour match since Wimbledon.

If the fiery baseliner negotiates his way to the quarter-finals, he faces a possible date with Safin and then a meeting with world No.1 Federer in the final four.

Hewitt began the year in style, reaching the Australian Open final for the first time before losing in four sets to Safin.

Injury and illness caused him to skip the claycourt season, but he showed plenty of form by reaching the semi-finals at Wimbledon, losing to the eventual champion in Swiss magician Federer.

Advertisement
AdvertisementIn Cincinnati last week, he improved with every match before he lost in the semi-finals to American Andy Roddick.

Meanwhile Philippoussis plays Slovakian Karol Kucera in the opening round and Wayne Arthurs tackles Davide Sanguinetti after the draw was made at the United Nations early Thursday morning Australian time.

#22 ·
mitalidas said:
Hey, expost, I agree the draw was not rigged by and for the Americans.... ;)
Almost feel like its rigged in favor of the Swiss guy
:worship: :worship:

mitalidas said:
Lleyton's draw is quite tough indeed --possibly the toughest of the top 5. Potentially have to get through marat and Roger just to get to the final. Once he gets there to the final he might have it easier --although nadal could pose problems
Yes, I agree he's got the toughest draw. Not only did he get screwed out of the No. 2 seed at Wimbledon, he ends up with Federer in his half at the US Open.

I can completely understand why he wants some love about the court surface at the AO -- somebody needs to cut the guy a break.

#23 ·
Socket said:
I can completely understand why he wants some love about the court surface at the AO -- somebody needs to cut the guy a break.
All roads will finally lead back to the old stooges at Wimbledon. Had he got his correct ranking there, he would have fared better, been seeded where roddick is instead, and escaped to an easier draw. Well, you never know --Safin's knee is still suspect, and if you remove Safin from the equation, things look less bleak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.