Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sitting here w/ no live tennis, just happened to catch highlights of their match on AO classics show & pretty entertaining esp. the 4th set TB w/ Nadal’s lefty FH still evolving & pro Aussie crowd clearly flustering Nadal which is opposite of what happens today. Funny to see not only the green Rebound Ace but a Borg like serenity w/ no bizarre on court OCD’s from Nadal. Must have been before El padrino really started making his impact on the youngster.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Remember watching this before setting off for school one morning. Might be wrong but think Nadal was really struggling from the heat late on in that match.

Another little classic you can't find on Youtube.

Last slam he played before winning one, not bad for an 18 year old.

·
29,621 Posts
One of the most impressive runs to a slam final I can recall from Hewitt, beat Nadal and Nalbandian in back to back 5 setters and an in-form Roddick in the semis. Probably felt no Fed gave him a chance but Safin was too damn good after set one and took proceedings out of his hands.

AO 05 really was a great event

·
Registered
40 Posts
One of the most impressive runs to a slam final I can recall from Hewitt, beat Nadal and Nalbandian in back to back 5 setters and an in-form Roddick in the semis. Probably felt no Fed gave him a chance but Safin was too damn good after set one and took proceedings out of his hands.

AO 05 really was a great event
The last set and a half from Safin in the final really was just some of the most unplayable tennis I've ever seen. Really unlucky for Hewitt after going through such a brutal draw and then being up 4-2 in the third set of the final only to run into a Safin playing like that.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I rewatched this one a few months back when I was converting my old VHS recording of the live match to DVD.

Great match, I think the first time I had seen Nadal play was their previous years AO match and was blown away by how good he was, so I was hyped (& concerned for Lleyton) ahead of this match. Nike with a good advertisement of their halo energy sword design muscle shirts with both guys in the same gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts