Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanx to AO classics show, just followed up the 2005 Hewitt vs Nadal match w/ the 2005 Hewitt vs Nalbandian QF & what a cracker going down the wire to a 5th set 10-8 victory for the Aussie. The ultimate overachiever Hewitt vs the talented but underachieving Nalban. This was arguably better than the AO12 marathon final. With an 11-8 H2H w/ Fed, my opinion is had Nalban been a little more dedicated & not eaten himself out of shape, he very well could have helped prevent Fed from being the ‘Swiss GOAT’ today.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Thanx to AO classics show, just followed up the 2005 Hewitt vs Nadal match w/ the 2005 Hewitt vs Nalbandian QF & what a cracker going down the wire to a 5th set 10-8 victory for the Aussie. The ultimate overachiever Hewitt vs the talented but underachieving Nalban. This was arguably better than the AO12 marathon final. With an 11-8 H2H, my opinion is had Nalban been a little more dedicated & not eaten himself out of shape, he very well could have helped prevent Fed from being the ‘Swiss GOAT’ today.
Nalbandian was not reliable both mentally and physically (how many times would he suffer from abdominal problems?) in the later stages of a slam. His failure can't be explained by dedication alone.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That’s on him for not improving his fitness esp. the way Nadovic has done to overcome Fed through a longer career than Nalban’s iinm. All i’m saying is that he had a record vs Fed rivaling theirs & much better luck w/ injuries than his compatriot Delpo so he has only himself OR his coaches & trainers to blame as i’m sure Nick K. will do when his career’s done & dusted.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Probably the year where everyone thought Hewitt was finally going to win his home slam but Safin took him out fairly comfortably in the final after his epic win over Federer.

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
Probably the year where everyone thought Hewitt was finally going to win his home slam but Safin took him out fairly comfortably in the final after his epic win over Federer.
You think Hewitt was favored in the final?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Can't really remember, I am U.K based and woke up to watch the final when BBC still showed it live so can't remember who they had as favourite but I imagine Andrew Castle and co would've played up the home crowd and everything. Was not much in the head to head, both had won slams and Hewitt came straight out of the blocks to win the first set 6/1 before Safin took over.

Safin-Fed in SF was arguably top 10 slam matches in last 20 years, very happy AO have put the full match up in the last month. Could be another option for the Monday recap.....

·
29,637 Posts
Think he'd won his last couple against Safin so maybe that's why people fancied him. For me, if Safin played his A game though, he beats Hewitt everywhere bar grass, but naturally Lleyton preferred facing him in the final to facing Fed

·
29,637 Posts
Nalbandian was not reliable both mentally and physically (how many times would he suffer from abdominal problems?) in the later stages of a slam. His failure can't be explained by dedication alone.
Well working on his fitness is part of the dedication aspect as well. The main guys, the big 3, hired world class dieticians and physical trainers, and the off-season training was always super-intense. I love David but he liked the burgers and the rally a bit too much to really fulfil his amazing talent

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
It was great, but they played an even better 5-setter at the AO in 2011. Nalbandian won that time and saving 2 match points, one of them being one of the greatest MPs saved you'll ever see, it even left Hewitt shocked. They were both washed at the time so it's not remembered much, but they really rolled back the years in that one. And it was a roller coaster, Nalbandian was 1-2 down, break down in the fourth and Hewitt had BPs for a two-break lead.

They do go hand in hand though, but yes, it's strange he suffered so many injuries in latter stages of slams (and often a similar one). The strange thing is he was brilliant on Davis Cup time after time and it's obviously Bo5 as well, he would even sometimes play Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Though he would run out of gas at times (2008 SF vs Russia), sometimes he would pull it off with no problems.

Maybe he didn't mind playing too much tennis consecutively for a short period of time (three days), but it would affect him more playing Bo5 across two weeks.

·
Your visions will happen
49,209 Posts
I recall the 06 RG SF where Nalbandian was leading Federer before getting injured

Everyone remembers Rome 06 final but no one remembers Nalbandian was 7-6 in the third in SF

Nalbandian 2006 could have beaten Nadal in that final had he not lost with injury to Fed

·
Registered
17,774 Posts
I recall the 06 RG SF where Nalbandian was leading Federer before getting injured

Everyone remembers Rome 06 final but no one remembers Nalbandian was 7-6 in the third in SF

Nalbandian 2006 could have beaten Nadal in that final had he not lost with injury to Fed
? I feel like some words are missing here. What do you mean?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts