Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just caught the 2004 USO Fed vs Agassi QF & Fed vs Hewitt final on USO classics & have to admit these guys (esp. Agassi) were on their last legs & Sampras not even competing in tourn. All sorts of unusual UE’s from Agassi w/ ROS & baselining not near his prime. Did I mention Henman & the ATG Johansson in SF’s? Thoughts on this GS?

·
29,645 Posts
Fed-Agassi was played in such a cyclone it made the USO 12/RG 19 conclusion look like they were played in sub-Saharan Africa.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A weakened Agassi surely struggled in the gusty conditions but i’m assuming he was off rec. drugs by this time of his marriage/fatherhood & simply struggling w/ age. I heard his athletic son recently earned a baseball scholarship somewhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Agassi played well in that match, close to one of his prime performances. Hewitt was underwhelming, but Fed also played one of his best matches ever in that final. Overall, a pretty decent GS win in terms of competition for Fed.

·
Registered
19,205 Posts
Just caught the 2004 USO Fed vs Agassi QF & Fed vs Hewitt final on USO classics & have to admit these guys (esp. Agassi) were on their last legs & Sampras not even competing in tourn. All sorts of unusual UE’s from Agassi w/ ROS & baselining not near his prime. Did I mention Henman & the ATG Johansson in SF’s? Thoughts on this GS?
Henman in that semifinal was a disgrace.

Agassi match was good though. But Andre UE'd when he could have taken a 2-1 set lead in the third.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If you think Agassi was on his last legs in this 2004 USO match, don't watch the USO 2005 final!
Just checked the draws for 2005 & it seemed like, but for the final, Agassi had tougher earlier round opponents than in late rounds. The senior citizen of ATP was also good enough to pull out a QF at AO (best GS) that year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts