Mens Tennis Forums banner

561 - 580 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
1310: While tournament wins have become few and far between, he never fails to display flashes of brilliance that remind me why I became a fan in the first place. He may have lost this year's Wimbledon final, but I'll never forget that deft half volley he hit down break point at 3-4 in the fifth set.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
1312: because he cares about the sport and its future

Q: What is your favorite Roger Federer moment?
-- Michael L., Brooklyn

Jon Wertheim: ... As for my answer, it’s not about shotmaking or that backhand overhead in Monte Carlo in 2007. No, it was when a tennis administrator pulled me aside and said, “Watch this.”

She had an orientation DVD that was presented to junior players transitioning to the pros. Context: At the time Federer was the best player in the world by a healthy margin. This video had nothing to do with commercial tie-ins or repaying a favor or even his own charitable foundation. No one was supposed to see this, apart from a few hundred juniors. This was utter philanthropy. On the video, Federer speaks about everything from travel to media obligations. Then -- and this was all unscripted -- he stares at the camera and says, “I wish you good luck. I’ll see you on tour. And you know what? When you come on tour, if you see us, don’t hesitate to ask us questions. Me, I’m always happy to talk to you to you guys and help you... anything you want to ask me, don’t hesitate, don’t be shy. See you around and all the best.”

This is the most fiercely individual sport. These kids are coming to take food off of his table (see: Dimitrov, Grigor). At the time he recorded this video, Federer was in the meaty years, winning three of four majors. And he was actively encouraging kids with rankings as low as zip codes to approach him so he can help with their adjustment? This isn’t just laughably uncommon. It’s not just incredibly gracious. It’s not one of those small acts the public never sees. It establishes a culture of collegiality and a benchmark for professionalism that will be as much a part of his legacy as Major titles and matches won.
http://www.si.com/tennis/2014/07/16/roger-federer-simona-halep-mailbag

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
1312: because he cares about the sport and its future
He does indeed :)

1313:

For posting the following message on RF.com:

Dear fans

2014 is yet another year with incredible highlights. I would like to say THANK YOU to all of you for all the kind words and presents I received for my 33rd birthday. Your support really means a lot to me and I am looking forward to the rest of the year with lots of great moments on and off court. Thanks again!

Yours,
Roger

·
Registered
236 Posts
1316: Because he still says "See you next year" at the end of every final, no matter how much the loss hurt him. I was worried he wouldn't say it after the US Open final, because he looked so sad.

1317: Because even after loosing this year Wimbledon's final (or was it last year?) he still said "I enjoyed myself a lot", who says that? His love for tennis is just inspiring.

Hope I didn't repeat any reason!

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
1316: Because he still says "See you next year" at the end of every final, no matter how much the loss hurt him. I was worried he wouldn't say it after the US Open final, because he looked so sad.

1317: Because even after loosing this year Wimbledon's final (or was it last year?) he still said "I enjoyed myself a lot", who says that? His love for tennis is just inspiring.

Hope I didn't repeat any reason!
Don't worry about that, this thread is all about the love :wink2:

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
1318: Is he wonderful or is he wondeRFul? :inlove:
Roger Federer encourages ballkids to break the rules

THE 380-strong ballkid contingent for January’s Australian Open has been confirmed, and four-time champion Roger Federer is encouraging them to break the rules.

In 2016 there will be 138 first-timers working the courts at Melbourne Park, with 25 sets of siblings and two sets of twins among the group. As part of a partnership arrangement, 20 ballkids will be making the trip from Korea for the southern hemisphere’s only grand slam, with another six of the best from the China Open, two selected as most outstanding from the WTA Championships in Singapore and another two of the best from Roland Garros.

Under no circumstances are ballkids to ask the world’s best players for autographs or photos, but Federer is calling on the kids to make the most of the experience and bend the rules.

“I was a ballkid for two years,” he said in a video message to those selected. “I used to love it — chasing the players down for autographs and for pictures.

“I’m not sure if you’re allowed to do it, but if you’re not, ask me. I’m totally cool about it.”

Tournament director Craig Tiley admits he isn’t surprised by the 17-time grand slam winner’s attitude, but says the world No.3 could have his hands full on the selfie front.

“As a former ballkid himself, Roger has a soft spot for the kids who do such a great job on court,” Tiley said.

“It’s no surprise he’s willing to be approached by the kids for a selfie — he’s incredibly generous and always makes time for his fans.

Perth Now

·
Registered
8,858 Posts

how can this woman even form complete sentences? I would be dying if I got one hour with him.
He's so nice and lovely to the fans

561 - 580 of 618 Posts