Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
23,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing Federer escape Kohli and eventually winning Halle, and Nadal escaping Verdasco and eventually winning Hamburg, it seems odd that the biggest threats some players experience are the 1st Round matches. Dangerous unseeded players do pose a big threat, while top players could be cold yet and is still revving up. What other examples of dangerous first round escapes that eventually proved good as they won the title eventually? If they didn't win the title which ones are examples who at least reached deep (i.e. Semis or Finals)?

·
29,637 Posts
Re: 1st Round Dangers Turned Titles (or Deep Runs)

Gonzalez survived del Potro barely in the first round of the 2007 AO and then blasted through everything else in his path.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts

I doubt that Verdasco was too dangerous for Nadal. 6-1 6-1 means no chances for Nando as for me. Speaking about Kohli-Federer it was real choke from German. He played better and broke more but lost. But Shanghai-2015 is the luckiest title ever. It wasn't 1R but the first match for Federer. I don't know how Mayer could lose. He was much better but did something strange on match point. I would have won from that position. A few days later, Federer has took the title :lol: Probably the most undeserved title of his career, although there were many.

·
29,637 Posts

Murray was two points from an R3 exit in the USO 08 against Melzer- 6-7 4-6 6-6 (5-5), came through 7-5 and then went on to win in five before straight setting Wawrinka, winning a real war with del Potro and then caning Nadal in the semis. If he'd won that final it would have been a pretty epic GS win, alas not to be.

Djokovic's first two USO final runs saw him barely survive Stepanek (2007) and Troicki (2010), especially the latter who had bp's for a double break (*4-1) in the 4th and leading two sets to one.

Quite a few of these early scares end up with the losing finalist.

Federer vs Benneteau (Wimbledon 2012) is an example of the winner squeezing past a mine early on.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Federer at AO 2010, he was clueless against Andreev for quite some time.
Gaudio had a 5 setter against Canas at RG 2004.

·
29,637 Posts

Federer at AO 2010, he was clueless against Andreev for quite some time.
Gaudio had a 5 setter against Canas at RG 2004.
Andreev served for the third set. That would have been tasty if he'd closed it out.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

FEDERER 2010 WIMBLEDON FIRST ROUND AGAINST FALLA. Federer lost first two sets. Won in 5 and made it to the QTRS where he was bitch slapped by Berdych.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts

Nole had Kohl also in Wimby...

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

I doubt that Verdasco was too dangerous for Nadal. 6-1 6-1 means no chances for Nando as for me. Speaking about Kohli-Federer it was real choke from German. He played better and broke more but lost. But Shanghai-2015 is the luckiest title ever. It wasn't 1R but the first match for Federer. I don't know how Mayer could lose. He was much better but did something strange on match point. I would have won from that position. A few days later, Federer has took the title :lol: Probably the most undeserved title of his career, although there were many.
Thats the thing. Nadal played fairly well in some matches in Hamburg, and was never even close to losing a match.

A lot of people are underestimating him. And I will tell you something else. Nadal is more dangerous in slams because of the BEST OF 5 format. They're physically more demanding. But they give you a greater chance to come back. You can lose the first two sets in a slam match and still win the match.

In that respect BEST OF THREE MATCHES ARE HARDER. Because you have to win one of the first two sets.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Novak against Troicki USO 2010.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts